Compost Bin Recommendation

Lauren Angelo

Jun 30, 2011, 1:28:31 PM6/30/11
to peninsul...@googlegroups.com
I know a lot of us have been looking for a good backyard compost bin,
myself included. I finally decided to try out a spinning compost bin,
and I've been REALLY happy with it. My hesitation had been that I
thought it would fill up quickly, because it is smaller than what I'm
accustomed to. But I set mine up a few weeks ago, and I'm still
integrating a tall kitchen bag of food scraps once or twice a week.
One of the things I love about it is that it is rodent-proof, and so,
I don't have to worry about burying my scraps. So, I'm much more
likely to take my kitchen scraps out when it makes sense for indoor
air quality. i.e. I know longer wait until all visitors to my house
ask why my kitchen smells so bad. Also, another concern had been that
turning the bin would get harder as it filled up, but the design of
mine makes turning easy thus far.

Bonus: the compost is heating up in the bin and producing that ashy
stuff, something that has only happened once in my BioStack.

FWIW, this is the one I bought:

http://www.gaiam.com/product/spinning+composter.do

Lauren