GSoC'15 Proposal and Pre-project for "Visual Thumbnails for Projects"

Rohan Jaswal

Mar 22, 2015, 3:16:00 AM3/22/15
to pencilcode-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!

I am Rohan Jaswal, studying computer Science and engineering at National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur(India). I am interested in taking part in GSoC' 15 and want to contribute to Pencil Code. I am intersested in "Visual thumbnails for projects" project have done the pre-peoject for this.
I am sending the link to my patch. Kindy review my patch.

git commit: https://github.com/rohanjaswal2507/pencilcode/commit/89087679afe6d2cc56d836716468e0288cd4b85f

Thanks!

Rohan Jaswal
Undergraduate, 2nd year
Computer Science and Engineering Department
National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur

Rohan Jaswal

Mar 22, 2015, 3:18:26 AM3/22/15
to pencilcode-...@googlegroups.com

David Bau

Mar 23, 2015, 4:06:01 AM3/23/15
to Rohan Jaswal, pencilcode-development
Hi Rohan, because of the number of proposals, we may not be able to review patches until around the deadline date.

By the way, it looks like if you submit a proposal through the official GSoC site early, you can still edit the proposal until the deadline.

David

Xinan

Mar 26, 2015, 1:25:35 PM3/26/15
to pencilcode-...@googlegroups.com, davi...@gmail.com
Hi Rohan,

I accidentally noticed that you've closed your PR, re-cloned the repo, then copied all my code over and just changed a few variable names.
This is not so good, at least in my opinion. I published the commit url here because I am confident about my code, and I trust others. But this is not for you to copy just for your own good.

Please stop that. Thanks!

Xinan

David Bau

Mar 26, 2015, 2:51:57 PM3/26/15
to pencilcode-development
Yes, copying work and claiming it as your own isn't good under any circumstances, open source or otherwise.  I've had the experience of having had my open-source code copied without attribution and resold for profit, and I don't look on it kindly.

Please don't discourage openness by copying work without attribution.  If we see duplicate code in submissions, we'll get to the bottom of it.

Thanks all!  And please don't set some copying discourage you from sharing and helping each other.  Remember to give credit where credit is due - thanks!

David

Ashish Kumar

Mar 26, 2015, 2:55:15 PM3/26/15
to pencilcode-...@googlegroups.com, davi...@gmail.com
This happened with me some days ago. I think students should be more responsive and transparent about the open source communities. Pencilcode is not made up for one person, It is a team project. All of us here are devoting our precious time to pencilcode to learn something useful from fellow contributors and mentors. We all should think innovatively and try to discuss things rather than copying blindly. Plagiarism is not tolerable in any case.

I agree with david on this.

Thanks
Ashish Kumar

Xinan

Mar 26, 2015, 3:12:53 PM3/26/15
to pencilcode-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks David! I guess open source doesn't mean free and no copyright at all.

And thanks Rohan for the apology. He has emailed me saying sorry. I shall forgive him this time.

For everyone, please remember that all open source projects are actually voluntary work. Think about the time and energy that people have spent on it, please give them credits when you use them!

Thanks!

Xinan