Problem by opening a saved file (Evolus Pencil)

Karim Belkhiria

Dec 4, 2013, 8:44:18 AM12/4/13
to penci...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm new to Evolus Pencil & Pencil in general...

I'm preparing a view of a new page on my website, that contains text fields, checkboxes, radio buttons and so on..  and I have the problem, that everytime I save the file, close Pencil, and then when I open it again, all the text that I wrote (for the radio buttons, checkboxes etc..) is not loaded, and I have to double click on each element, to show that text again.. it is pretty annoying, specially when you have hundreds of checkboxes and radio buttons etc..

Can anyone tell me how to load that text automatically when loading the saved document?

Thanks

Zac Anderson

Dec 18, 2013, 4:53:03 PM12/18/13
to penci...@googlegroups.com
I'm having the same issue.  All my fields are blank.  Must double-click each item to show it's content.  I'm more than willing to show someone if need be.  Thanks!

-Zac A.

Julien Schneider

Jan 10, 2014, 11:05:41 AM1/10/14
to penci...@googlegroups.com
Same issue for me...

Hope they will fix this up soon

Regards,

Veena Vaidyanathan

Mar 11, 2014, 5:40:32 PM3/11/14
to penci...@googlegroups.com
Did you try Document -> Open (open the .ep file). It worked for me.

Machete Panda

Sep 8, 2014, 3:43:44 PM9/8/14
to penci...@googlegroups.com

I'm having the same exact problem. This is a MAJOR flaw and to be going on for over a year now... yikes. I mean, I know its free... but could they at least have a little self respect for their work.

I put in a lost of hours before saving and closing to find this out.

gurumoorthy pattabiraman

Nov 30, 2014, 4:10:04 AM11/30/14
to penci...@googlegroups.com
I have tried it so many times now (for the past 3 months). Still unable to find a solution.

Mitchell Ryan

Jan 22, 2015, 6:38:49 PM1/22/15
to penci...@googlegroups.com
Having the exact same problem.
Tried saving as different font size, different font, etc.  Version 2.0.5.

Mitchell Ryan

Jan 22, 2015, 11:50:39 PM1/22/15
to penci...@googlegroups.com
It happens on both my Windows 7 and Windows XP boxes.
The first tab page is fine.  Its the subsequent tab pages that have this disappearing text issues, if this helps with the trouble-shooting.

Luca Gioppo

Feb 9, 2015, 6:34:01 AM2/9/15
to penci...@googlegroups.com
Same problem for me on CentOS 6 and Windows 7.
On linux it report an error on xulrunner but in the end the Pencil application works.
Even saving the file as a different name does not work.
Luca

qsdfqsdf

Jul 5, 2015, 6:25:23 AM7/5/15
to penci...@googlegroups.com
Exactly the same problem on my win7 x64 box.

qsdfqsdf

Jul 5, 2015, 6:40:02 AM7/5/15
to penci...@googlegroups.com
I tried it on pencil 2.0.11, still the same problem

damn annoying

Grzegorz Jan

Oct 8, 2015, 9:46:08 AM10/8/15
to Pencil Users
I have the same problem but I found workaroud. Is not perfect but is works. You can select all elements (ctrl +a) and then change, for example, font. After this operation labels will visible again. Unfortunately all other setting (bold, diferent size) will change too - the same to all elements of your view :(

Until developers solve this must suffice...

Mike Rehy

Oct 15, 2015, 8:49:52 AM10/15/15
to Pencil Users
Hi in my case when i edit document save, then close and reload, the inputs are hidden, need to click F2 edit (change content to get refreshed)
then input will appear...
I am on Mac OS X. Yosemite , pencil version newest for mac 2.0.6 so  i downloaded  2.0.2 and old works in this use case.

Thank so much for some update for OS X its great software.

Michal

Michiel van der Wulp

Oct 15, 2015, 9:33:22 AM10/15/15
to Pencil Users
Hi Michal,
Please try the latest version at
https://github.com/prikhi/pencil
Regards,
Michiel

Brys Sepulveda

Oct 16, 2015, 1:19:11 PM10/16/15
to Pencil Users
Hello,

Ive downloaded the latest release as of this writing (2.0.14) I can confirm that I still get the "loads but none of the text elements load" issue that people are reporting above.
I havent tried pulling the git repo and building pencil myself but looking at the commit log:
  1. @prikhi
  2. @prikhi
  3. @prikhi
  4. @prikhi

    Update Changelog

    prikhi authored
  5. @prikhi
  6. @prikhi
Commits on Oct 14, 2015
  1. @mvdw

    Make the arrowheads sharper

    mvdw authored
Commits on Oct 8, 2015
  1. @mvdw
I dont see anything that would directly affect the rendering of the text elements.
Message has been deleted

Brys Sepulveda

Oct 16, 2015, 1:23:11 PM10/16/15
to Pencil Users
I can also confirm that the Sketchy GUI collection is not having this issue but the Native UI Widgets is most definitely

si...@ohds.net

Mar 1, 2017, 7:00:40 AM3/1/17
to Pencil Users
I have the same issue with 2.0.5. All text is blank, so basiclly I get blank UIs when I load them.  to make it worse, when I print, Its also blank. This is a showstopping critical bug which has been there for apperenly years without a fix.  It renders the product unusable for native UIs.

Pavan Rikhi

Mar 1, 2017, 9:10:26 AM3/1/17
to penci...@googlegroups.com
This is an issue with newer versions of firefox. You could either:
unzip the xpi & try `firefox -app pencil/application.ini`, use an
older version of firefox(I think this issue started popping up around
v45), use xulrunner(pre-v45), use palemoon, or try
pencil3(http://github.com/evolus/pencil). Make a backup of your file
before trying v3, some people have had issues opening files in v2
after they've been opened/saved in v3(I haven't tried v3 on existing
projects).

See:
https://github.com/prikhi/pencil/issues/802
https://github.com/prikhi/pencil/issues/856
https://github.com/prikhi/pencil/issues/852

Simon Hobbs

Mar 1, 2017, 9:22:00 AM3/1/17
to penci...@googlegroups.com
Er, I don’t have or use firefox, I use the downloaded and installed windows app version of pencil.
Chrome is my default browser, and I have Edge also, but I am assuming this app has nothing to do with browser as it doesn’t run in one.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Pencil Users" group.

Simon Hobbs

Mar 3, 2017, 8:53:41 AM3/3/17
to penci...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply. I tried pencil 3, but it won't open any of my pencil 2.0.5 projects, always says "something went wrong". So I uninstalled it and went back to 2.0.5.

The problem with all text being invisible when you open any file extends to printing and saving as pdf - both are blank.
The only one which still works is save to png.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to carry out the instructions below, e.g. I don’t know what "unzip the xpi" means. I know what unzip is, but no idea what or where xpi is. I have no idea how to use xulrrunner or palemoon. I could probably find them and install them (whatever they are), but no idea how to "use" them.

I don’t see what firefox has to do with pencil. Pencil is a stand alone app, not an app which runs in firefox.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Simon.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Pencil Users" group.

Gaurav Gulati

Aug 8, 2017, 5:48:53 AM8/8/17
to Pencil Users
Hello All ,

Just open the .ep file in pencil . Double click on where your previous text was there and you again see your text there .

I hope it helps .

Thanks ,
Gaurav