Transition to pencil-code.org

Philippe-A. Bourdin

Dec 30, 2023, 9:17:32 PM12/30/23
to pencil-code-discuss
Dear users of the Pencil Code,

as you might have heard, GitHub will stop their SVN service on 8th of January 2024. The PC steering committee discussed alternatives, tested one solution with the interested users, and asked all PC "owners" if there are objections. Finally, 16 out of 20 owners replied to have no objections and the remaining 4 owners did not answer. Therefore, the steering committee unanimously agreed to continue the SVN service through a new domain "pencil-code.org" while continuing all related services (issues, commenting, statistics, etc.) at GitHub. Furthermore, the main PC repository will always remain up-to-date on GitHub, but in read-only state.

* for GIT users, the transition is simple: from 2nd of January, 13:00 CET, our GitHub repository becomes read-only and GIT users will have to change their remote URL.

* SVN users either have to check in all their changes until 2nd of January, 13:00 CET via GitHub, or they use the grace period from 2nd of January 13:00 CET until 7th of January 18:00 CET to transfer their local changes to a fresh checkout. We prepared a script for that.

Detailed Instructions for the transition are given here:

We are sorry for this tight schedule - it was imposed on us by GitHub.

In order to help everybody, we will conduct extraordinary PC office hours on the 2nd of January from 15:00 CET, as well as on 4th of January from 16:00 CET, and a last session on 7th of January from 17:00 CET. We meet at the usual office hours Zoom link:
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/69160607217

All users who previously submitted changes to PC via GitHub will receive an email with an invitation link to pick up their prepared account from pencil-code.org.

I wish you all a happy and a smooth transition into the future,
Philippe Bourdin, on behalf of the PCSC.

Axel Brandenburg

Jan 2, 2024, 6:06:07 AMJan 2
to pencil-code-discuss
Reminder to all developers:

in 1 hour, the github site will become *read-only*.

I recommend checking for un-checked-in changes before 13:00
Stockholm time. After that time, you'll need to follow
Philippe's instructions below.

At 15:00 Stockholm time, Philippe and I will have a special
office hour to make sure I understand everything. If anybody
else needs help, please tune in on:

https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/69160607217

Axel

Axel Brandenburg

Jan 4, 2024, 8:33:52 AMJan 4
to pencil-co...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
Today at 16:00, there will be a special office hour
with Philippe on

https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/69160607217

to address concerns if there are any. The next official
office hour will be in 1 week. The switch to the new
server seems to have worked for everyone without problems,
and the count on

https://github.com/pencil-code/pencil-code/graphs/contributors

is continuing as before.
Axel
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pencil-code-discuss/ZZPuGtFJGo5DYcWn%40nl6.

Philippe-A. Bourdin

Jan 6, 2024, 4:48:04 PMJan 6
to pencil-code-discuss
Dear PC users,

there will be another extraordinary PC office hour on Sunday, 7th of January, from 17:00 CET. This is to help anybody regarding the transition of the repository to "pencil-code.org":
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/69160607217

So far, everything went quite smoothly. But if still problems occur for someone, there is another opportunity to meet online during the next regular PC office hour on Thursday, 11th of January, from 13:00 CET.

Thank you and best greetings,
Philippe.