Changing dt in run.in

Hongzhe Zhou

Mar 7, 2024, 6:52:15 AMMar 7
to pencil-code-discuss
Hi All,

I wanted to use fixed time step, so I used dt=1e-3 in run.in. Then after some point I wish to switch to dt=1e-4, but changing it in run.in does not work (I used touch STOP -> change dt -> pc_run). Also changing it then touch RELOAD also won't change the time step, although reloading did happen. Is this by designed?

Hongzhe

Frederick Gent

Mar 7, 2024, 7:18:41 AMMar 7
to pencil-co...@googlegroups.com

Try setting dt0=1e-4 in run_pars.

Fred

Matthias Rheinhardt

Mar 7, 2024, 9:24:12 AMMar 7
to pencil-co...@googlegroups.com

Hi Hongzhe,

no, it's not by design. After restart/reload the code should use the new value.

Maybe you can true to follow the lead of dt after it had been read in by debugging prints.

Best,

Matthias