Fwd: TGN is NOW Available as Linked Open Data

Ethan Gruber

Aug 22, 2014, 12:05:19 PM8/22/14
to pelagios...@googlegroups.com

In case you haven't heard, the Getty released the TGN yesterday, so it should be possible to programmatically match many places between Pleiades and the TGN.

Aug 22, 2014, 12:10:42 PM8/22/14
to pelagios...@googlegroups.com, Ryan Baumann
I was just thinking this myself.

Ryan - is this a striaghtforward adaption for Pleaides+?

Cheers

L.

Leif Isaksen

Aug 23, 2014, 9:32:23 AM8/23/14
to Ryan Baumann, pelagios...@googlegroups.com, Ethan Gruber
Great! It might be worth reaching out to them as well? Depending on
how much work is involved they might be willing to assist?

Cheers

L.

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 2:09 PM, Ryan Baumann <ryan.b...@duke.edu> wrote:
> I looked into this a little yesterday after I saw the announcement (to
> see if there were any existing TGN/Pleiades or TGN/GeoNames
> alignments), but I think it would be relatively straightforward.
> Though the question may be whether it's more impolite to crawl the
> entire TGN for offline comparison, or query the SPARQL endpoint for
> every Pleiades/GeoName resource. Offline comparison would also allow
> for string normalization like I now do in Pleiades+. I may take a
> deeper look next week and report back!
>
> -Ryan
>
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 12:10 PM, Leif Isaksen <lei...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I was just thinking this myself.
>>
>> Ryan - is this a striaghtforward adaption for Pleaides+?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> L.

Ethan Gruber

Aug 23, 2014, 11:21:35 AM8/23/14
to pelagios...@googlegroups.com, ryan.b...@duke.edu

I've been in contact with them quite a bit recently. Although the Getty vocabs don't link externally at present, they are interested in incorporating links to resources like Pleiades and nomisma.

Ethan

Karl Grossner

Aug 23, 2014, 11:47:10 AM8/23/14
to pelagios...@googlegroups.com, ryan baumann
Listening in with interest...I may have misunderstood, but no scraping necessary - 2 flavors of complete dumps are available from here.

Karl

Karl Grossner
Digital Humanities Research Developer
Stanford University Libraries