self-introduction

steve.yost

Dec 19, 2022, 5:03:13 PM12/19/22
to Peeragogy
Hello Peeragogy members!

Charlotte invited me to this group after we had a very interesting conversation last week, and I thought I'd introduce myself, especially with respect to my interests here.

I've been a lifelong "omnivore of knowledge" and since I semi-retired (I'm 64) in Lexington and now Gloucester, I've been active in a few kinds of peer learning.

Most relevant to this group, starting with taking online courses at Coursera and the like, I've formed a collaborative learning group in Lexington, where we take courses together.
I've also just started corresponding with a leader named Karl Hakkarainen at WISE (Worcester Institute for Senior Education), who introduced me to their operation and history, as well as the much wider world of senior education and co-learning. Many of their courses are taught by their own members, for example.

Out in the physical world (a concept we're just re-acclimating to, thankfully!), I've been coaching open-water rowing for several years, and participating in folk music "sessions" which are a learning rush at least for me! I started learning upright bass four years ago.
I also regularly mentor an early college student through a formal mentoring program through the Gloucester Education Foundation.

Thanks to Charlotte for inviting me to this group. I look forward to following and learning!

Regards,
Steve Yost