Coronation 1937

BREMENMURRAY

Apr 11, 2021, 1:19:48 PM4/11/21
to Peerage News
Was it ever confirmed if Prince Phillip attended the 1937 coronation?

Henry W

Apr 11, 2021, 1:56:24 PM4/11/21
to Peerage News
A cursory internet search doesn't give a definitive answer.

His maternal uncle, the 2nd Marquess of Milford Haven, and maternal grandmother, the Dowager Marchioness, were his guardians at this time I think, and several members of his maternal family are confirmed attendees (both the 2nd Marquess, and Lord Louis Mountbatten [later Earl Mountbatten of Burma]). Several members of his paternal family also attended representing Greece and Denmark, though I don't think he had much to do with that side of his family.

He had attended the Duke of Kent & Princess Marina's wedding in 1934 where he first met the future Queen, so clearly had been at Royal events before. His invitation to that wedding was probably primarily as a first cousin of the bride, rather than a more distant connection to the British Royals themselves.

BREMENMURRAY

Apr 11, 2021, 2:32:13 PM4/11/21
to Peerage News
The Daily Telegraph Obit states that they meet at various times in the 1930s which refutes the often repeated error that they did not meet until 1939.This is not too surprising considering he lived part of the time in Kensington Palace and other sources have recorded that that the Queen often visited other residents including Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll

malcolm davies

Apr 11, 2021, 5:53:27 PM4/11/21
to Peerage News
The point about the meeting at RNC Dartmouth in 1939 was that Philip was deputed to look after the Princesses whilst their mother and father were otherwised engaged,so it was probably the first time that they really got to know him.

Mark Jennings

Apr 12, 2021, 8:15:53 AM4/12/21
to Peerage News
I recall from reading a rather good biography of the Duke many years ago, that he did not attend the 1937 Coronation, but was sent the Medal by the King as a near-relation living in the United Kingdom.  The episode has always stuck in my mind because of the associated advice that HRH was given when composing a "thank you" note in reply, to start half way down the page in order to make the letter seem longer.

BREMENMURRAY

Apr 13, 2021, 10:41:10 AM4/13/21
to Peerage News
An article by Phillip Eade in the Sunday Telegraph states that they did meet at the Coronation in 1937 . I accept this could mean  they met at an event related to the Coronation rather than the ceremony itself

Mark Jennings

Apr 13, 2021, 2:28:01 PM4/13/21
to Peerage News
I could be wrong.  The Coronation was on 12 May 1937.  The Court Circular shows that Prince Philip, together with his grandmother the Dowager Marchioness of Milford Haven and his sister and brother-in-law the Hereditary Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Hesse, had lunch with Queen Mary at Marlborough House on 7 May, so HRH was certainly in London at the time.

Richard Carton

Apr 13, 2021, 2:38:42 PM4/13/21
to peerag...@googlegroups.com
Had he left school Gordonstoun by then? Unfortunately Wisden is of no help because Gordonstoun did not report cricket matches pre-war. Like Prince Andrew he was a useful cricketer.

malcolm davies

Apr 13, 2021, 6:09:39 PM4/13/21
to Peerage News
The air crash in which the Grand Duke of Hesse and his wife and sons died was on 16 November 1937.Philip attended the funeral-link to photo here:-
He was not in uniform, so had not joined the Royal Navy at that time.It was probably his last or second last year at the school.