Why have no baronets been created?

bx...@yahoo.com

8:12 AM (15 hours ago) 8:12 AM
to Peerage News
We've recently had a discussion here about the future of hereditary peerage creation.  This got me to thinking about the baronetage.

I believe the last one that was created (in 1990) was for the husband of the late Lady Thatcher.

Is there a reason none have been created since and what are the chances of any others been created in the future?

Thanks.

Brooke

Jonathan

8:28 AM (15 hours ago) 8:28 AM
to Peerage News
The baronetcy given to Denis Thatcher was quite controversial at the time. Of course, it's believed that Lady Thatcher wanted something that could be passed to her son Mark, and had been after an earldom, but had to settle for a "mere baronetcy"*.

The next logical person to receive a baronetcy would have been Philip May, but he was knighted instead. Perhaps it's a missed opportunity as he would have no heirs anyway so it may have been less controversial.

* Use of this term is intended as an in-joke for regular readers

S. S.

8:31 AM (15 hours ago) 8:31 AM
to Peerage News
I think you will find much the same way hereditary peerages stopped being given out after the 1960s, the same occurred with baronetcies. Highly unlikely for anymore baronetcies to be created much in the same way as hereditary peerages. Besides, you can knight people these days and they still get to be called "Sir/Dame" etc. Just that the hereditary principle is no more.

S.S.

marquess

9:58 AM (13 hours ago) 9:58 AM
to Peerage News
If the hereditary principle is no more, then that should also apply to the monarchy. I recall the current Earl of Stockton being interviewed  when he took his seat in the Lords. He was asked what he thought about his earldom, 'It's in keeping with the hereditary principle of the monarchy.' A point I fully endorsed then and still do now.