Irish peers

Eleanor Doughty

Jul 2, 2024, 7:27:15 AM (20 hours ago) Jul 2
to Peerage News
Hello all,

I've found myself going round in circles on a particular point and wondered if anyone happened to know the answer before I become totally dizzy.

For reasons that I will hopefully soon be able to impart, I am trying to determine how many of the current hereditary peers are peers by virtue of an Irish title alone – ie they don't have an English or Scottish or UK title at all, only an Irish one. I reckon it's 56 but I've lost track slightly. Does anyone have any advance (or decrease) on 56 please?!

Yours,
Eleanor

colinp

Jul 2, 2024, 8:22:41 AM (19 hours ago) Jul 2
to Peerage News
I have the following (? where title is dormant because a claimant is not recognised):-

Earls (17 without doubtfuls)

Annesley, Antrim, Belmore, Caledon, Castle Stewart, Cavan (?), Darnley,  Kilmorey, Kingston, Lisburne, Mayo, Mexborough, Norbury, Ormonde and Ossory (?), Portarlington, Roden, Rosse, Westmeath, Winterton

Viscounts (15)

Ashbrook, Bangor, Charlemont, Chetwynd, De Vesci, Dillon, Doneraile, Galway, Gort, Harbeton, Hawarden, Lifford, Molesworth, Southwell, Valentia

Barons (33 without doubtfuls)

Ashtown, Aylmer, Bellew, Carbery, Castlemaine, Clanmorris, Crofton, Decies, Dufferin and Clandeboye (?), Dunalley, Dunboyne, Dunsany, Farnham, Fermoy, ffrench, Garvagh, Graves, Hotham, Huntingfield, Inchiquin, Kilmaine, Kingsale, Langford, Lisle, Louth, Macdonald, Massy, Muskerry, Newborough, Rathdonnell, Rendlesham, Talbot of Malahide, Trimlestown (dormant), Ventry, Waterpark

55 in total without doubtfuls

dpth...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2024, 8:51:32 AM (19 hours ago) Jul 2
to Peerage News
or 65, if you add differently  :)

Eleanor Doughty

Jul 2, 2024, 8:54:13 AM (19 hours ago) Jul 2
to Peerage News
Thanks Colin! I am reassured by your figure. But the new entry of 65 is exactly why I've been going round in circles!

colinp

Jul 2, 2024, 9:04:43 AM (19 hours ago) Jul 2
to Peerage News
I can't believe that for the all important total I put 55 instead of 65 and then didn't spot it! It's an age thing!

Eleanor Doughty

Jul 2, 2024, 9:05:55 AM (19 hours ago) Jul 2
to Peerage News
Haha – and I didn't check it either, to be fair! Thanks Colin.

If anyone has any other advance on 65 I'd welcome it, though this seems very sensible to me

marquess

Jul 2, 2024, 9:29:15 AM (18 hours ago) Jul 2
to Peerage News
Darnley doesn't count as he hold an English barony by writ.