Deaths of Sovereigns, Dukes & Marquesses 1952 - present

Henry W

Jan 10, 2024, 11:20:16 AMJan 10
to Peerage News
Following discussion in Peerage & Baronetage deaths & births 2023 I thought it would be useful to collate the deaths of high ranking peers in one list

Some confirmations of some comments:  it is highly unusual for there to be two consecutive calendar years (2022/23) with 0 high ranking deaths in the peerage,  though I am counting the late Queen's death in my listing.  But focussing just on Dukes, 2 consecutive calendar years without a death is relatively common (there are 9 pairs, and 3 trios of years where this happens).

The following years had 0 deaths in any category: 2023, 2018, 2008, 1998, 1986, 1982, 1966, 1958.  So 8 times in 72 years, or 1 in 9.

1988 was a particularly bad year for deaths:  4 Dukes (incl Newcastle-under-Lyme twice, with its resulting extinction) & 2 Marquesses.  Also this year holds the record for the shortest length of time between two deaths:  3 days between the 13th Duke of St Albans and 10th Duke of Northumberland.

1954 is the "runner up" with 5 deaths (3 Dukes, 2 Marquesses).  These include the 2nd Duke of Albany, whose title had been suspended in 1919.  I include as the 2nd Duke had succeeded to the title at birth in 1884, so had enjoyed the title.  I do not include the Cumberland & Teviotdale dukes as the last person (the 3rd Duke) to enjoy the title died 1923.

I hope other users find this listing useful.

bx...@yahoo.com

Jan 10, 2024, 6:30:49 PMJan 10
to Peerage News
Thanks, Henry, for your hard work on this.

Brooke

malcolm davies

Jan 11, 2024, 7:14:01 PMJan 11
to Peerage News
Henry,
          A couple of matters of interest.
First not only did the 11th Duke of Marlborough and the 8th Duke of Wellington die in the same year(2014),but the same thing happened with their fathers(1972).
Second you refer to 1988 being a bad year for,inter alia, ducal deaths.Four ducal deaths in the same year have occurred twice previously-in 1940(Hamilton,Northumberland,Rutland and Bedford) and 1892(Marlborough,Roxbughe,Manchester and Sutherland)

BREMENMURRAY

Jan 12, 2024, 10:34:55 AMJan 12
to Peerage News
The seventh Marquess of Ailesbury died 15 July 1974 is not included on the list

BREMENMURRAY

Jan 12, 2024, 10:42:24 AMJan 12
to Peerage News
Neither is the sixth Marquess of Ailesbury died 4 August 1961

Henry W

Jan 13, 2024, 6:20:14 AMJan 13
to Peerage News
Thanks Bremen.  I've made those corrections and at the same time realised I missed the 5th, 6th & 7th Marquesses of Bristol, who I have also now added.

BREMENMURRAY

May 17, 2024, 9:09:15 AMMay 17
to Peerage News
Of the 24 non royal Dukes only six inherited before 2000.Also the longest held at present Abercorn inherited comparatively recently 1979.This compares with the Marquess of Queensbury 1954,the Earl of Chichester 1944,Viscount Gormanston 1940 and Lord O Neill 1944

bx...@yahoo.com

May 17, 2024, 11:53:52 AMMay 17
to Peerage News
Chichester, Gormanston and O'Neill are 3 of the last 4   peers left who inherited their peerages because their fathers were killed  in World War II.

The fourth one is a royal peer, the Duke of Kent.

Brooke

BREMENMURRAY

May 17, 2024, 2:00:37 PMMay 17
to Peerage News
Viscount Ullswater succeeded his great grandfather because his father died in the same incident as the Duke of Kent. Lord Chetwode also succeeded his grandfather because his father died on active service and as late as 1959 the Earl of Portarlington succeeded early for the same reason

bx...@yahoo.com

May 17, 2024, 2:52:44 PMMay 17
to Peerage News
There were many more peers that succeeded as a result of World War II than even that number.    Except for this small handful, the rest of them have since died.

Brooke.