Kershaw baronetcies analysis 12 January 2021

colinp

Jan 15, 2021, 12:27:05 PMJan 15
to Peerage News
New listing is now available on baronetage.org - the following tab

Henry W

Jan 26, 2021, 4:39:51 PMJan 26
to Peerage News
One thing I have noticed, after researching the family after recent deaths, is a young heir to the GILBEY baronets (cr 1893 UK) noted on the Kershaw list as born 2015. I don't think any notice of a birth that fits. Going back through my copies of the old lists, this young heir was added for the February 2019 update of the Kershaw list.  I looked through the Debrett's 2019 changes/additions threads, but no mention. Does anybody have further information?

colinp

Jan 27, 2021, 4:58:38 PMJan 27
to Peerage News
This must be Otto Sebastian Gilbey b 2015 son of Jasper Sebastian Christopher Gilbey b 1981 son of Christopher Sebastian Bruce Gilbey b 1955 great grandson of the 2nd son of the 1st Bt

colinp

Jan 31, 2021, 4:35:02 PMJan 31
to Peerage News
The Crofton baronetcy of 1801 (of Mohill) has gone from B 1981 to A 1981 indicating there are now no heirs born after 1981.  However Debrett's does list a Kynan Bradley (a male) b 2012 son of David Andrew Crofton (of S Korea) and (m 2006) Kyung Mi Shin.  The designation should therefore be B 2012

Having said that there are four Canadian brothers listed at the end of the collaterals  - David Ian b 1944 m; Arthur Blake b 1946 m; Alan b 1953 m twice; and Terence b 1953 all of whom may have had issue (but none listed) but Debrett's may have lost touch with or maybe they are not interested in providing family details.

colinp

Feb 1, 2021, 12:45:53 PMFeb 1
to Peerage News
Actually please ignore the above post as on reflection I believe the Crofton (1801) baronetcy is correctly designated as A 1981 as there are no heirs born after 1981 preventing the baronetcy going into dormancy.  Master Kynan is from a branch junior to the branch containing unknown descendants and therefore the reason for the potential dormancy.

colinp

Feb 1, 2021, 4:48:31 PMFeb 1
to Peerage News
The following are the changes in the designations of the "at risk" baronetcies on the latest analysis

"A" indicates a baronetcy with no heirs aged under 40 (ie born after 1981) preventing extinction or other outcome shown (eg dormancy).  One might call these baronetcies probably going to be extinct/dormant

"B" indicates a baronetcy with only one heir or none aged under 35 (ie born after 1986) preventing extinction etc.  One might call these baronetcies possibly going to be extinct/dormant

B to A (possible to probable):

Arthur (1903) held by Lord Glenarthur
Crofton (1801)
Graham (1629) **
Knill (1893)
Lyle (1929)
Palmer (1886)
Phillimore (1881) held by Lord Phillimore
Sinclair (1631) held by the Earl of Caithness

** there are two brothers who may be in remainder and younger than 40 - James b 1993 and Joseph b 1998 - sons of James Robert Graham b 1952 (of New York, USA) by his second marriage but the date of this marriage is not given in Debrett's.

to B (now possible):

Astley-Cooper (1821)
Bampfylde (1641) held by Lord Poltimore
Barlow (1902)
Colthurst (1744)
Davis-Goff (1905)
Denny (1913)
Erskine-Hill (1945)
Forbes of Craigievar (1630) (to dormancy)
Gray (1917)
Hare (1818)
Laurie (1834)
Levinge (1704) (to dormancy or extinction)
Morrison-Bell (1905)
Nicolson (1629 and 1637) held by Lord Carnock (to dormancy)
Pole (1791)
St Clair-Erskine (1666) held by the Earl of Rosslyn (to dormancy or extinction)
Temple (1816)
Thompson (1963 of Reculver)
Waldegrave (1643) held by Earl Waldegrave (to dormancy or extinction)

and going the other way - A to B:

Alexander (1921)
Burbidge (1916)

In addition the baronetcy of Sinclair-Lockhart (1636) is shown as liable to dormancy presumably because the remainder of this Scottish baronetcy is to heirs male of the grantee whatsoever

Henry W

Apr 3, 2021, 7:51:03 AMApr 3
to Peerage News
AYKROYD baronets [cr 2004 UK] is given as "B 2004", but I don't think this is correct.
There are possibly as many as 5 young heirs.

The 5th & current Baronet has two sons: George (b 1977) and Bertie (1983).
Thepeerage has each son with two sons of their own.  George's listing gives an eldest son born in same year as marriage, so may not be in remainder.  Thepeerage does not list at all his next son Jasper T G (b 2004) who is definitely in remainder. It then gives another son by a second marriage - I am able to verify the birth, but not the marriage of his parents.
For Bertie, it lists two sons, not reported in the newspapers, but seems to have correspondence with Bertie's wife. I have verified the son b 2019.

Henry W

Apr 3, 2021, 7:51:32 AMApr 3
to Peerage News
Of course I should have listed this as AYKROYD baronets [cr 1920 UK]

marquess

Apr 3, 2021, 8:35:52 AMApr 3
to Peerage News
I wish they had been creating baronetcies up until 2004.

Henry W

Apr 4, 2021, 5:15:12 PMApr 4
to Peerage News
BONSOR baronets (cr 1925 UK) is listed by Kershaw as "B 1984".
I believe there are two young heirs.
The eldest son and heir of the 4th & current Baronet is shown by thepeerage as married with two sons.
The engagement was reported in Nov 2005 on our group, and I have verified that the marriage took place in 2006 in Pitlochry (ScotlandsPeople)
I have tracked the family down on social media.  Posts there state the dau was born 2009, and I would estimate the eldest son born 2007.  Evidence also suggests the children were born in Singapore, which makes sense given that I cannot find them in the GRO indices or ScotlandsPeople.

colinp

Apr 5, 2021, 9:12:31 AMApr 5
to Peerage News
AYKROYD Baronets (1920)

Debrett's 2019 has the eldest son (Fynn)  of George Jack Aykroyd  (1st m Sept 1999) as born Jan 1999 so he is not in remainder.

Henry W

Apr 16, 2021, 4:14:35 AMApr 16
to Peerage News
SHAKESPEARE baronets (1942 UK)
This title is currently listed as A 1971 by Kershaw, but I think it should be B 2004.
The 3rd baronet's younger brother and hp is James D G S., who m. 1996 Alison J LUSBY. DB 2003 lists this marriage and their dau b. 2001.  Further research indicates a son E W J S. born Q1 2004 Leicester (matches address in DB 2003). Mother's maiden name is a match, which probably makes this definitive as there is only one SHAKESPEARE/LUSBY marriage in the Ancestry transcription.

Henry W

Apr 17, 2021, 4:05:34 PMApr 17
to Peerage News
BROMHEAD baronets (1806 UK)
The title is currently listed as A 1974, but I think it should be B 2006
The current hp is John E de G B. (born 1939), a cousin of the 6th Bt.  He has a son Alistair J de G (born 1969).  Not sure what recent Debrett's have for him, but he m (Sept) 2003 Jacqueline C STONE, and has issue, a girl E M de G B. born (Dec) 2003 and a son L B de G B. born 2006.

Also to note another heir is James H de G B. (born 1974) - his 2009 m. to Tabytha COLEMAN is recorded here. There has been issue from this marriage - 3 daus, born 2011, 2013, 2016.

Henry W

Apr 18, 2021, 8:18:18 AMApr 18
to Peerage News
PRIMROSE baronets (UK 1903)
The title is listed as A 1973, but I think it should be B 2004.
I assume the 5th Baronet is still resident in Argentina (as in DB 2003)?  Probably his immediate family are as well, so finding an update on them may be difficult. The next heir after the 5th baronet and his brother is Iain D PRIMROSE (b 1941) followed by his only son James R PRIMROSE (b 1971). DB 2003 gives an address for Iain as Lymburghs Farm.  Googling this address yields this page: https://www.pastureforlife.org/profile/P024/

It is clear from the text and photo that James (Jim) married a Gilla, and has a son and dau.

Searching BMD records give a marriage to Gilla S CARSTAIRS 1998 West Dorset.  They have issue:
W L P. (son - born Q2 2004 Taunton)
T K P. (dau - born Q3 2005 Taunton)

Henry W

Apr 18, 2021, 3:05:29 PMApr 18
to Peerage News
NORTON-GRIFFITHS baronets (UK 1922)
The title is listed as A 1976, but I think there might be two young heirs.
The 4th Baronet and his son are currently resident in Kenya. Tracked them down on social media.
The son, Alastair N-G married Jessica REINHOLD (unknown date - she has taken his name); they have issue:
Certainly two sons (born 2010 / 2014 respectively), and possibly a dau (in between the sons)

Henry W

Apr 25, 2021, 6:22:10 AMApr 25
to Peerage News
STRACEY baronets (UK 1818)
Listed as A 1979, but I think there is a young heir.
One of the collaterals is Henry D STRACEY-CLITHEROW (goes by Harry CLITHEROW) - resident in New Zealand.  Tracked down on social media.
He m 2011 Katie Anne-Marie ELSTONE, and with her has issue: 1 son (born 2015) and 2 daus (born 2013 & 2019)
This title is additionally complicated as it lists the possibility of dormancy, but only after A 1979, so I think the possibly unknown line would come from a younger son of the 1st Baronet.

Henry W

Apr 25, 2021, 8:27:04 AMApr 25
to Peerage News
EVANS-TIPPING baronets (UK 1913)
Listed as A 1978, but I think this should be B abt 2019
The hp is Guy E F E-T (born 1978), a nephew of the 5th Baronet. We know he m. 2017 Charlotte J KNIGHT.  According to GRO indices they have a son: L H L E-T, born Q1 2019 Lambeth

Henry W

Apr 25, 2021, 10:15:58 AMApr 25
to Peerage News
GOODHART baronets (UK 1911)
Listed as A 1980, but I think this should be B abt 2013
The 4th Baronet has two sons, who appear to be the only males in remainder.  The younger of these two sons m. Sarah J ALLUM (year unknown - she has taken his name. Based on Electoral Roll records it was after 2004 and before 2010). They have issue: 2 daus (twins born Q4 2008 Sheffield) and 1 son (H G R G. born Q1 2013 Sheffield)

Henry W

May 8, 2021, 3:18:50 PMMay 8
to Peerage News
GREENAWAY baronets (UK 1933)
Listed as B 1985, but I think it should be B 2012
The 4th Baronet (born 1985) was due to marry in May 2020 (see here) - does anybody know if it went ahead?
The only other heirs are hp MIchael P G. and his son Daniel P G. (born 1981).  From Electoral Roll records, it appears that Daniel has married Helene HADDAD circa 2011.  They have issue: a son D P G. (born Q4 2012 West Sussex) and a dau D D G. (born Q3 2015 West Sussex)

Henry W

Jul 25, 2021, 5:14:14 AMJul 25
to Peerage News
LETHBRIDGE baronets (UK 1804)
Listed as B 2009.  There was a recent birth that may put the title into relative safety, though their remain questions over whether Alexander (3rd son of the current baronet) has actually married.
Another birth has gone unnoticed.  Henry, 4th son of the current baronet, married 2015 to Charlotte LIBBEY.  They have a son H E F L. born 2017 Kensington & Chelsea according to GRO indices.

Henry W

Jul 25, 2021, 8:35:19 AMJul 25
to Peerage News
PETO baronets (UK 1855)
Listed as B 2013. There are other recent births.
According to Telegraph online, George, second son of the current Baronet, was engaged to marry Frederieke M C HAKKER circa 2012.  I believe this marriage has taken place (social media - she has taken his name, and Frederieke P. is mentioned in academic papers).  From social media they have two sons: the first is J F J P. (born Q1 2018 Gloucestershire - GRO). The second may well have been born in Scotland (Frederieke appears to work/have worked at the University of Glasgow) - a boy F J P. was born 2019 Melrose - ScotlandsPeople (his middle name is Dutch, so probably correct, but not possible to check mother's maiden name). There is a chance that the second child was born in the Netherlands of course.

Another collateral, Alexander G P. (g-gs of the 3rd Baronet) is found in 2003 living with S J BIRNIE in West Sussex.  This is not definitive as there is a possibility this is mistaken identity (however there are no other Alexander G P.s born in freebmd since 1940) and no evidence of marriage found. Nonethless, there are two sons born to PETO/BIRNIE parents - born Q4 2010 Newcastle upon Tyne and Q2 2013 Northumberland respectively.

Henry W

Jul 25, 2021, 9:02:19 AMJul 25
to Peerage News
PETO baronets (UK 1927) [also in remainder to the 1855 baronetcy]
Listed as B 2004. There is one recent birth:
According to Telegraph online, Hugh, 2nd son of the 4th Baronet, was engaged to marry Zeenat AHMED circa 2008. I believe this marriage has taken place (she uses the name Zeenat Ahmed-Peto professionally and in social media). They have a son: H I C P. (born Q4 2013 Medway - GRO)