Lords by election (Viscount Ridley retirement)

colinp

Jan 15, 2022, 5:43:49 AM1/15/22
to Peerage News
The arrangements for the House of Lords hereditary peers by election following the retirement of Viscount Ridley have been announced
The candidates will be announced on 28 January.  The election will be on 8 February and the result will be reported to the House on the following day.  It will be an election by the Conservative excepted hereditary peers of whom there are currently 46 eligible to vote.

colinp

Jan 28, 2022, 8:55:18 AM1/28/22
to Peerage News
The candidates (listed below) have been announced and their supporting statements can be found here -  Conservative hereditary peers' by-election (Viscount Ridley) (parliament.uk)

Ashcombe, L.
Biddulph, L.
Camrose, V
De La Warr, E.
Dormer, L.
Dudley, E.
Limerick, E. (Foxford, L.)
Monckton of Brenchley, V
Strathcarron, L.
Windlesham, L.

Henry W may well produce a detailed analysis but I think the new candidates are Viscount Camrose, the Earl of Dudley and Viscount Monckton of Brenchley

sven_me...@web.de

Jan 28, 2022, 9:56:23 AM1/28/22
to Peerage News
Hopefully Monckton will not be elected.

Henry W

Jan 29, 2022, 11:45:23 AM1/29/22
to Peerage News
Ashcombe, L. (born 1964). Last ran 2021 Conservative Peers by-election (replacing 3 peers); he received 1 vote (of 36).  Previously ran in 2019 Whole House by-election receiving 15 votes (of 259)

Biddulph, L. (born 1959). A perennial candidate as he is "happy to be called on to serve" always, often running in the by-elections where the Carter Convention suggests that he should not.  If we ignore the recent  Whole House by-election (where a Labour peer was expected to be returned), he has never gained more than 2 votes, often 0.

Camrose, V. (born 1970). Succeeded to his title in 2016, and this is his first by-election as Colin mentions.

De La Warr, E. (born 1948). A regular candidate in these by-elections. Last ran in 2021 Whole House by-election receiving 15 votes (of 237). Previously ran in 2021 Conservative Peers by-election (replacing 3 peers); he received 1 vote (of 36).

Dormer, L. (born 1960). Ran as a cross-bencher as recently as 2019, but ran in the 2021 Conservative peers by-election receiving 0 votes (of 36) and 2021 Whole House by-election receiving 5 votes (of 237).

Dudley, E. (born 1947). He succeeded to his title in 2013 and this is first by-election as Colin mentions

Limerick, E. (Foxford, L.) (born 1963). A regular candidate in these by-elections. Last ran in 2021 in Whole House by-election receiving 12 votes (of 237). Previously ran 2021 Conservative Peers by-election (replacing 3 peers); he received 0 votes (of 36).

Monckton of Brenchley, V (born 1952). He succeeded to his title in 2006. A new candidate as Colin mentioned. He has been a bit of disruptor historically having previously regarded the House of Lords Act as unconstitutional and continuing to persist with claims that he was a member, eventually receiving a "cease and desist" letter from the House.  I won't even get started on his public policy views.

Strathcarron, L. (born 1949) - Runner-up in the 2021 Whole House by-election receiving 46 votes (of 237). Previously ran 2021 Conservative Peers by-election (replacing 3 peers); he received 1 vote (of 36).

Windlesham, L. (born 1968) - A regular candidate in these by-elections. Last ran in 2021 in Whole House by-election receiving 10 votes (of 237). Previously ran 2021 Conservative Peers by-election (replacing 3 peers); he received 1 vote (of 36).

Notable by their absence:
Abergavenny, M. (born 1955). Has run in all Conservative Peer by-elections (though not all the relevant Whole House by-elections) since at least 2010.

Lord Strathcarron is my tentative favourite as the runner-up in a previous by-election, but this is a smaller electorate, so things might change.  Ashcombe, Limerick and Windlesham have all put in performances that show some support in the House, and their age is probably favourable for them.  Viscount Camrose as a new candidate and the youngest in the field could be a wildcard.  De La Warr has shown some support in the past, but I think is now too old if he has not achieved election in several previous attempts.  With another Conservative Peers by-election in the off-ing (anticipated retirement of Lord Rotherwick), a strong performance in this election may be indicative for the future.

Henry W

Jan 30, 2022, 5:30:08 PM1/30/22
to Peerage News
An addendum - this is not Viscount Monckton of Brenchley's first election. After succeeding to his title he stood in elections in 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010.  He received 0 votes on all these occasions, which is how I came to overlook his previous candidacies.

Henry W

Feb 9, 2022, 1:07:33 PM2/9/22
to Peerage News
Conservative hereditary peers’ by-election, February 2022: result (parliament.uk)

Lord Strathcarron has been elected.

Final distribution of votes (first round in brackets)
Lord Strathcarron 18 (17)
Viscount Camrose 6 (6)
Lord Ashcombe 5 (5)
Earl of Limerick (Lord Foxford) 4 (3)
Earl De La Warr 3 (3)

Lord Windlesham and Viscount Monckton of Brenchley received 1 vote in the first round but were then eliminated. Others received 0 votes.

With another Conservative peers by-election (to replace Lord Rotherwick) due, one has to see the four runners-up as the favourites next time.

Henry W

Feb 9, 2022, 3:59:41 PM2/9/22
to Peerage News
Hansard of 9 February 2022
The announcement in Parliament was commented upon by (you guessed it) Lord Grocott. It is ever more tempting to write to Lord Grocott, direct his attention to our postings, and see if we get mentioned in Parliament. :)

Henry W

Feb 12, 2022, 6:26:26 PM2/12/22
to Peerage News
A note: Lord Stratchcarron (b 1949) is 9 years senior to the peer he replaces - Viscount Ridley (born 1958).  This is the second time this has happened - the previous occasion just last year with the election of the 83 year old Lord Hacking to replace the late