GENERAL RECORDS OFFICE

Patricia Light

10:24 AM (13 hours ago) 10:24 AM
to Peerage News
Records for the year 2022 are now available

David Beamish

11:26 AM (12 hours ago) 11:26 AM
to Peerage News
For anyone unfamiliar with this invaluable resource, it is at https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp
Indexes are available for births and deaths (not marriages): births 1837 to 1934 and 1984 to 2022, and deaths 1837 to 1957 and 1984 to 2022.

bx...@yahoo.com

11:58 AM (12 hours ago) 11:58 AM
to Peerage News
This looks like an invaluable source indeed.  Can you use this link just to look at records, without having to order certificates?

If so, how does that work?

Thanks so much.

Brooke

David Beamish

12:33 PM (11 hours ago) 12:33 PM
to Peerage News
Sadly not! But the index gives quite a bit of useful information, though there are limitations. You can only search on a period of up to 5 years at a time, and you have to state whether the search is for a male or female. For births up to 1924 the mother's maiden surname is shown. Thereafter it is shown only if entered as part of the search query and, rather unhelpfully, the search results show all births regardless of the mother's maiden surname. Here is an example relevant to this group: the results of a search for a male child born in 2018 Q1 with the surname Robertson and mother's maiden surname Haynes. There were 78 "hits" and the only one with "Haynes" was on the second page - see image. A similar search for a female child yields "Ottilie Inmaculada" with similar details, who I take to be his twin sister. Whether "Magnus Andrew E" is in remainder to the barony of Robertson of Oakridge depends on whether his parents were married - the engagement was noted on this group in 2015 (https://groups.google.com/g/peerage-news/c/yKJppVCSF6g/m/zx8PqbgqAQAJ) but Who’s Who does not record the 3rd Baron as being married.
2024-07-23_171835.jpg

bx...@yahoo.com

1:18 PM (10 hours ago) 1:18 PM
to Peerage News
Hi David.

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry for being a bit thick headed, as I'm trying to understand what information would be available,  just to view, for free.

if I registered at the link you provided, I would  be able to view the index as you showed here?

Although it's not exactly the records, that definitely would be very helpful in doing this work of ours!

Thanks again.

Brooke

David Beamish

3:58 PM (8 hours ago) 3:58 PM
to Peerage News
No need to register, Brooke! Anyone can use the index. You do need to register to order certificates or (a bit less expensive, and quicker) digital images for births 1837-1923 and deaths 1837-1957.

bx...@yahoo.com

5:54 PM (6 hours ago) 5:54 PM
to Peerage News
Hi David,

Sorry,  I'm used to the freebmd site, where the index is right there.

The link that you posted is to the Online Ordering Service.

Would you be able to post the link to the actual GRO Index?

That would help a lot!

Thanks again.

Brooke