9th Earl of Mount Edgcumbe-- CORRECTION

bx...@yahoo.com

Oct 10, 2021, 4:25:04 PM10/10/21
to Peerage News
One of the headline stories from the new Debrett's database concerns the 9th Earl of Mt. Edgcumbe.

The 8th Earl, Robert Charles Edgcumbe, died on June 12, 2021.  The assumption was that he was succeeded by his next brother, Piers Valletort Edgcumbe (b. 1946).  Richard even posted that succession back in early July.

According to the database, Piers actually predeceased his older brother.  He died in 2019.
Succession thus passed to the youngest brother, Christopher George Mortimer Edgcumbe (b. 1950), who is the 9th Earl.

The new Earl has 2 sons.  The elder son, Douglas George Valletort Edgcumbe (b. 1985) is  currently known with the courtesy title of Viscount Mount Edgcumbe and Valletort.

Brooke

colinp

Oct 10, 2021, 4:57:50 PM10/10/21
to Peerage News
There is a Doug Edgcumbe on facebook describing himself as "Viscount" "in a relationship"

bx...@yahoo.com

Oct 10, 2021, 5:48:24 PM10/10/21
to Peerage News
Colin, very interesting.  He's shown as single in the database.

Brooke

William H.S. Leeson (William Stotesbury-Leeson)

Oct 10, 2021, 6:25:46 PM10/10/21
to Peerage News
Well, it *is* Facebook, so that should be taken with a grain of salt.

www.maltagenealogy.com

Oct 10, 2021, 8:56:25 PM10/10/21
to Peerage News
Any dates of Birth for the appropriate Earl ? Burkes only states 1950.

Richard R

Oct 11, 2021, 2:13:21 AM10/11/21
to Peerage News
I note that DPB online accord the 9th Earl his title, which may be correct, but won't be confirmed until we see the publication of the latest Roll of the Peerage. I am sceptical, since neither the new earl nor his late brother used the style 'Hon' and may not therefore be in a hurry to claim the title.

Also, DPB online, styles the new ha Viscount Mount Edgcumbe & Valletort, which would be a departure from previous heirs apparent who have used the style Viscount Valletort (ie by the 2nd Earl between 1789 & 1795, the 3rd Earl (1818-39), the 4th Earl (1839-61) and the 5th Earl (1865-1917)) for obvious reasons.

marquess

Oct 11, 2021, 4:59:23 AM10/11/21
to Peerage News
Well let's hope that the current viscount is the marrying kind, as he is the only one in remainder to the title.

William H.S. Leeson (William Stotesbury-Leeson)

Oct 11, 2021, 12:22:56 PM10/11/21
to Peerage News
Isn't Richard John Edgcumbe (b. 1946, and 2nd cousin once-removed from the current 9th Earl) still alive?  He would be third in line to the earldom (after Douglas and his younger brother), unless I'm mistaken?

William H.S. Leeson (William Stotesbury-Leeson)

Oct 11, 2021, 12:28:42 PM10/11/21
to Peerage News
(Actually, Richard is the 9th Earl's third cousin--my mistake.)

Henry W

Oct 11, 2021, 3:02:07 PM10/11/21
to Peerage News
Debrett's Online Database and Debrett's 2008 print edition both record the death of Richard John EDGCUMBE in 2003.  He was of New Zealand I think, so I would struggle to find an exact date, but others may have more experience with NZ records.

marquess

Oct 11, 2021, 4:59:47 PM10/11/21
to Peerage News
The second son of the current earl was born out of wedlock according to Debretts 2011.

William H.S. Leeson (William Stotesbury-Leeson)

Oct 11, 2021, 7:20:23 PM10/11/21
to Peerage News
I was not aware of that.  Thanks for the info!  So I guess that the Earldom will be marked in red, then, unless Viscount [M-E &] V has an heir.  He's 36, so there's still plenty of time yet.

(I would lean toward using Viscount Valletort myself, but if Viscount Mount-Edgcumbe & Valletort is how their courtesy title is styled these days, I reckon that's their prerogative.)