Sampson / BRISTOW engagement

265 views
Skip to first unread message

Richard R

unread,
Aug 7, 2019, 4:01:13 AM8/7/19
to Peerage News
From the Telegraph of 7 August 2019: Mr H.A. Sampson and Miss L.A.M. Bristow - The engagement is announced between Hamish, son of Mr and Mrs Nigel Sampson, of Thorpe Underwood, North Yorkshire, and Lily, daughter of Mr Timothy Bristow, of the Isle of Wight, and Mrs Richard Fife, of Great Langton, North Yorkshire.

Hamish Anthony (b 1988 reg Q2 Yorkshire) s of Nigel D SAMPSON (b 1956 reg Q2 Yorkshire) by his 1983 m (reg Q2 Yorkshire) to Miranda RILEY-SMITH (b 1959 reg Q4 Yorkshire).

Lily Annabel Mary (b 1989) d of Timothy Dominic Ian James BRISTOW (b 1959, gs of 2nd Baron LUKE (1905-96) and gt gs of Sir FitzRoy Hamilton ANSTRUTHER-GOUGH-CALTHORPE 1st Bt (1872-1957) and 17th Baron ST JOHN OF BLETSO (1844-1912) and 2xgt gs of 6th Baron CALTHORPE (1829-1910) etc etc) and his 1st w Annabel Judith Dorrell (b c1961 reg Q1 Bedfordshire) d of David R PALMER (b c1926 reg Q1 Suffolk) of Biddenham, Bedfordshire by his 1949 m (reg Q4 Worcestershire) to Mary Joan DORRELL (1924-2004).

G. Willis

unread,
Aug 7, 2019, 8:34:16 AM8/7/19
to Peerage News
The Riley-Smith family were landowners (12,000 acres) on the Isle of Jura (some sources indicating they owned the whole island; in 1969, the 'Brewing Review' observes: 'In addition to his brewing interests, Mr. Riley-Smith owns the island of Jura in the Firth of Lorne'; 'Decanter', in 1977, notes that in 1956, 'Mr Riley-Smith' was 'the new owner of the Jura estate', but 2004's 'The Scottish Islands' by Hamish Haswell-Smith states of his son: 'A W A Riley-Smith owns the south of the island around Jura House and north to Craighouse'), including the Ardfin estate near Craighouse until 2010; on its 'Jura, Scotland' article Wikipedia gives: 'Ardfin: situated at the southern tip of the island, between Feolin and Craighouse. For some seventy years from 1938, Ardfin belonged to the Riley-Smith family, brewers from Tadcaster in Yorkshire. In 2010 the estate was bought by Greg Coffey, an Australian hedge fund manager, and since then the famous walled garden of Jura House, which had previously been a popular tourist attraction, has been closed to the public. Having also wound up the estate's farm, Coffey then submitted proposals for the construction of a private 18-hole golf course on the estate, which was completed in 2017.' See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardfin_Estate

The 2014 obituary (https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/obituaries/alex-riley-smith-1-6380170) of Alex Riley-Smith, of North Yorkshire (this being Alexander William Anthony Riley-Smith) mentions a sister, Miranda; their father was Tony Riley-Smith, a director of John Smith's brewery, Tadcaster, and 'instrumental in reviving the Jura whisky distillery'. He was also High Sheriff of Yorkshire 1969-70. This confirmed by Miranda Riley-Smith's 1959 birth record, details of which provided by Richard above, gives her mother's maiden name as 'Foster', as does the 1947 birth record of Alexander W. A. Riley-Smith.

The marriage of Frank Anthony Riley-Smith, of Inholmes, Tadcaster and Angela June Foster took place in 1945, registered at Westminster. Tony Riley-Smith (b. 1923) died in 2010. This article (https://writesofway.com/2012/06/26/the-selfish-giant/) gives a perhaps justifiably jaundiced view of Mr Coffey's subsequent development of the estate (and provides the information that the estate encompassed '10 miles of coastline and seven islands').

Frank was son of William Riley-Smith, of Toulston Lodge, nr Tadcaster, brewer, High Sheriff of Yorkshire 1938-9 and (m. 1913; div.) Beryl Winifred Stansfield Tennant [daughter of Gilbert Edward Tennant, managing director of an mechanical engineering firm; see Tennant of Arncliffe Cote, formerly of Chapel House in BLG 1921; she m. 2nd, 1930, Cecil Stanley Drabble, of Haynes Hill Farm, Winslow, Bucks., and of Shorndown, Mursley, Bletchley, Bucks., farmer; William m. 2nd, 1934, Ethel C. Smith].

Also of this family was Jonathan Simon Christopher Riley-Smith (1938-2016), historian of the Crusades, Dixie Professor of Ecclesiastical History at Cambridge- https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/oct/06/jonathan-riley-smith-obituary His father, William Henry Douglas Riley-Smith (1914-1981), of Brewhurst, Loxwood, Billingshurst, W. Sussex m. Elspeth Agnes Mary [Craik-] (1920-1990), dau. of Sir John Craft Henderson (s. of Robert Jenkinson Henderson, J.P., and Agnes Craik) and Ivie Hestor Mary, dau. of Harry Lester Hertslet, M.V.O., of the Lord Chamberlain's Office. W. H. D. Riley-Smith was the elder brother of Frank Anthony Riley-Smith.


'Henry Herbert Riley-Smith (formerly Riley) (1863-1911) on jointly inheriting the John Smith’s Tadcaster Brewery with his brother Frank, from his maternal uncle William, took the name Smith as a condition of the inheritance. In preparation for his marriage he bought Toulston Lodge and the estate around 1886 (HRS, Notes). Henry married Annie in late 1886, daughter of Ralph Heaton of Edgbaston, who was proprietor of the Birmingham Mint. It passed to his son William Riley-Smith (1890-1954), chairman of John Smith’s Tadcaster Brewery and High Sheriff of Yorkshire. He married Beryl Winifred Stansfield Tennant in 1913. Toulston Lodge, its gardens and parkland were sold in 1954 to West Riding
County Council for development for a new Tadcaster County Secondary School (see 3.4). William Henry Douglas Riley-Smith (1914-1981) sold the residual part of the estate in 1979.'

Henry H. Riley-Smith was son of Henry Wilkinson Riley (1837-1898), a woollen merchant, later a director of John Smith's, and Sarah, daughter of Samuel Smith, tanner, joint owner of John Smith's with his brother William Smith. Henry Wilkinson Riley was son of Thomas Riley, of Leeds, and (m. 1835) Sarah Shann.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages