Perth E - collateral heirs?

Shinjinee

Mar 27, 2009, 8:33:04 PM3/27/09
to Peerage News
Have the two sons of the present Earl of Perth married yet. The
current situation appears to be:
1. James David Drummond, Viscount Strathallan b. 24 Oct 1965
2. Hon. Robert Eric Drummond b. 7 May 1967
3. Hon. James Reginald Drummond b. 28 July 1938; twice married, no
issue. Younger son of the 17th Earl and brother of the present Earl.

Who is the next heir presumptive? There are some persons shown who
appear to have married but no issue is shown for them. Please don't
tell me that this person is the descendant of Cyril Augustus Drummond
(shown below).

An incomplete genealogy follows below.

The 16th Earl had only one son (the 17th Earl) and three daughters

The 16th Earl's next brother Col Hon Sir Maurice Charles Andrew
Drummond (1877-1957) was father of a son by his wife and cousin Ida
Drummond
a) Lt.-Col. Maurice James David Drummond (b. 17 November 1907)

The next brother Vice-Admiral Hon. Edmund Rupert Drummond (mentioned
in the Fraser-Hambro post) had one son who was killed in action, dying
unmarried, and three daughters.

This completes all the male heirs from James David Drummond, 8th or
10th Viscount Strathallan (23 Oct 1839 - 5 Dec 1893)

The next generation up is
William Henry Drummond, 9th Viscount Strathallan (5 March 1810, d. 23
January 1886)

The next generation up is
James Andrew John Laurence Charles Drummond, 8th Viscount Strathallan
(24 March 1767-14 May 1851), who married Lady Amelia Sophia Murray,
daughter of Sir John Murray, 4th Duke of Atholl and Hon. Jane
Cathcart, on 18 January 1809, and had three sons including the 9th (or
7) Viscount.

The apparent second son:
b) Admiral Hon Sir James Robert Drummond+ b. 15 Sep 1812, d. 7 Oct
1895 who married 1856 Catherine Frances Elliot (d. 1914), apparently
2nd daughter of Admiral Sir George Elliot, himself son of the 1st Earl
of Minto, and had one son
1) Maj.-Gen. Laurence George Drummond+ b. 13 Mar 1861, d. 20 May
1946
He married 1886 Katherine Mary Antrobus, daughter of Hugh
Lindsay Antrobus, and had issue 2 sons and 3 daus
a) Lindsay Drummond (1891-1951) who married 1924 Susan
Cynthia Frances Cradock-Hartopp, daughter of Alick William Cradock-
Hartopp, and had a daughter Olivia Joan Drummond (b. 1929)
b) James Arthur Lawrence Drummond b. 1905, d. 1995; per his
great-nephew Oliver Perry
c) Hon Sir Edmund Drummond+ b. 17 Jan 1814, d. 10 Jan 1895; married
1837 married Julia Mary Sutherland, and had issue 2 sons and 2 daus
[http://thepeerage.com/p3061.htm#i30608]
1) Captain Francis Colebrooke Beresford-Drummond d. 9 Apr 1926. He
married married Marcia Mary Ann Harriet Wilhelmina de la Poer
Beresford, daughter of Major Sir George de la Poer Beresford, 2nd Bt.
and Elizabeth Lucas, on 23 June 1875, and assumed the name of
Beresford-Drummond. No issue is recorded. [http://thepeerage.com/
p13931.htm#i139301]
2) Admiral Edmund Charles Drummond+ b. 4 Aug 1841, d. 6 May 1911;
he married Dora Naylor, daughter of John Naylor and Georgiana Edwards,
on 4 July 1872. they had a son
a) Vice-Admiral John Ian Edward Drummond b. 5 Jul 1873, d. 15
Nov 1926. He married a cousin married Louisa Olive Munro (d. 15
November 1926), daughter of Sir Campbell Munro, 3rd Bt. and Henrietta
Maria Drummond, on 18 June 1910. No issue recorded.

The next generation up is William Drummond (d. 25 May 1772) the son of
William Drummond, 4th Viscount Strathallan and Hon. Margaret Nairne
Murray; he married Anne Nairne, and had the son above: James Andrew
John Laurence Charles Drummond, 8th Viscount Strathallan (24 March
1767-14 May 1851)

The next generation up is William Drummond, 4th Viscount Strathallan
(killed in action April 1746 or therabouts). He married Hon. Margaret
Nairne Murray, daughter of William Murray, 2nd Baron Nairne and
Margaret Nairne
[http://thepeerage.com/p3053.htm#i30524]
Their sons included (not necessarily in the order below)
a) James Drummond, 5th Viscount Strathallan+ d. 1766. He married circa
1750 Euphemia Gordon, daughter of Peter Gordon, 11th of Abergeldie and
Margaret Primrose, and had issue
1) James Drummond, 6th Viscount Strathallan d. 1775 unmarried
2) Andrew John Drummond, 7th Viscount Strathallan d. 1817
unmarried
and a daughter: Margaret Drummond+ d. 5 Sep 1821 who married
December
1779 George Haldane, 18th of Gleneagles, and had issue 2
children.
b) William Drummond+ d. 25 May 1772, father of the 8th Viscount
Strathallan - ancestor of the 15th and 16th Earls of Perth (the latter
ancestor of all later earls so far)
c) Hon. Henry Drummond+ d. 1795; married 1761 Elizabeth Compton,
daughter of Hon. Charles Compton and Mary Lucy, and had issue, one son
1) Henry Drummond+ b. 13 Jan 1762, d. 4 Jul 1794; married 1786
Hon. Anne Dundas, daughter of Henry Dundas, 1st Viscount Melville, and
had issue
a) Henry Drummond+ b. 5 Dec 1786, d. 20 Feb 1860; married
Lady Henrietta Hay-Drummond, daughter of Robert Auriol Hay-Drummond,
10th Earl of Kinnoull and Sarah Harley, on 23 June 1807. They had an
only daughter
i) Louisa Drummond+ d. 18 Dec 1890; who married 1845
married Algernon George Percy, 6th Duke of Northumberland, son of
George Percy, 5th Duke of Northumberland, and had issue two sons
including the 7th Duke of Northumberland (ancestor of all subsequent
dukes).

d) Robert Drummond, of Cadland, Hampshire. 13 Nov 1728, d. 1804;
married Winifred Thompson, and had issue three sons whose descendants
may be the next heirs to the earldom if the present Earl's sons fail
to marry and/or produce heirs male.
[http://thepeerage.com/p2762.htm#i27614]
1) Reverend Henry Roger Drummond, Rector of Fawley, Hampshire
(d. 1806); he married one Susanna Wells, and had a daughter Catherine
Elizabeth Drummond+ b. 1789, d. 1873 whose descendants married into
the Raglan B family (Somerset see also Beaufort D). Another descendant
is the actor Hugh Grant. [http://thepeerage.com/p18289.htm#i182889]
via his mother and grandmother.
2) Andrew Berkeley Drummond+ b. 11 Sep 1755, d. 27 Dec 1833. He
married 2 April 1781 Lady Mary Perceval (15 July 1758 - 18 September
1839), daughter of John Perceval, 2nd Earl of Egmont and Catherine
Compton, Baroness Arden, and had issue 1 son and 1 daughter
a) Andrew Robert Drummond (28 Jul 1794 - 20 Jun 1865),
High Sheriff of Hampshire 1839. He married 7 March 1822 Lady Elizabeth
Frederica Manners, daughter of John Henry Manners, 5th Duke of Rutland
and Lady Elizabeth Howard, daughter of the 5th Earl of Carlisle, and
had issue four sons of whom only one is listed in thepeerage.com, and
two daughters (one marrying the 9th Earl of Scarbrough). Descendants
below are incomplete
1) Andrew John Drummond (13 May 1823 - )
2) Edgar Atheling Drummond (21 August 1825 - ) md 1858 Hon.
Louisa Theodosia Pennington, daughter of Sir Lowther Augustus John
Pennington, 3rd Baron Muncaster and Frances Catherine Ramsden. They
had issue including
a) Cyril Augustus Drummond was born 1873, and
died 1945. He md 1stly Edith Belle Wilkins (died 1917), daughter of
L. T. Wilkins. His daughter was Sybelle Winifred Louisa Drummond was
born 1898, and died 1963. She married 1stly NN Pixley, 2ndly John de
Bathe Crossley (d 1935), and was mother of Elizabeth Belinda Crossley,
1st wife of Lord Montagu of Beaulieu. He married 2ndly and had three
sons and one daughter, of whom two sons had sons of their own. The yst
son was Robert Edgar Atheling Drummond (1933-1995) who married 2ndly
Athenais de Rochechouart-Mortemart, former wife of the Earl of
Rosslyn.
3) Alfred Manners Drummond (28 August 1829 - )
4) Sir Victor Drummond, diplomat (4 June 1833 - )
5) [7th and last child] Cecil George Assheton Drummond
(14 Apr 1839
2 Bryanston Square, London - d. 6 Dec 1903 of a
stroke; bur
Enderby); High Sheriff of Leicestershire, 1883. He
married 26
October 1871 St James's Church Westminster
Charlotte Amelia
Brook (b ca 1852 - 24 April 1924), daughter &
heiress of William
Leigh Brook (d. 1855 of cholera) of Meltham Hall
near Huddersfield,
and owner of Meltham Mills, a sewing business, and
heiress to her
father and to Enderby Hall, and had issue five sons
(of whom three d
after birth) and seven daughters, of whom only one
Dorothy Charlotte
Drummond+ b. 13 Sep 1885, d. 3 Dec 1965 is listed
on
thepeerage.com. The issue are:
a) a son, who didn't survive birth
b) a son, who didn't survive birth
c) a son, who didn't survive birth
d) Cecil Rowland Brook Drummond (1882 Enderby -
1897 Hong
Kong, d of dysentery as RN cadet aged 15)
e) Eric Drummond, fl. 1924, who lived at Enderby.
Property
eventually sold.
f) Elizabeth Drummond (b. August 1872 Queen's
Gate, London)
g) Dorothy Charlotte Drummond (13 Sep 1885 Enderby
- 3 Dec
1965) md a Montagu-Douglas-Scott.
h-l) five other daughters.
All but one married, and all lived into old
age
[http://www.enderbycofe.org.uk/drummonds.htm]

3) Charles Drummond+ b. 24 Jun 1759, d. 2 Mar 1823; who married
26 July
1789 Frances Dorothy Lockwood (d. 24 Feb 1831), daughter of
Reverend
Edward Lockwood and Lucy Dowdeswell, and had issue 2 sons.
[http://thepeerage.com/p3060.htm#i30596]
a) Charles Drummond (4 Sep 1790- 28 Aug 1858) married
1819
Hon. Mary Dulcibella Eden (d ______, daughter of
William Eden, 1st
Baron Auckland and his wife Eleanor Elliot, and had at
least four sons
1) Robert Drummond (26 Jul 1822 - 29 Apr 1881); he
married 1854
Augusta Charlotte Fraser, daughter of Charles
Mackenzie Fraser,
and was father of
a) Charles Drummond (17 Feb 1855- 5 Oct 1932);
married 1892
Lady Caroline Elizabeth Boyle, daughter of
Colonel Gerald
Edmund Boyle and Lady Elizabeth Theresa
Pepys, and had
issue 2 sons and 1 daughter
i) Robert Charles Crosbie Drummond b. 5
Oct 1896, d. 28
Nov 1917 killed in action
ii) Angus Julian Drummond (2 Jan 1910
- ??); he married 11
November 1961 Hon. Theodosia Beatrix
Catherine Mary
Meade (b 1 Feb 1898), daughter of
Captain Richard Charles
Meade, Lord Gillford (eldest son of
the 4th Earl of
Clanwilliam) and Lady Mary Elizabeth
Margaret Douglas-
Home, daughter of the 12th Earl of
2) Reverend Morton Drummond+ b. 8 Feb 1832, d. 23 Mar
1898; he
married NN and had a son
a) Gerald Morton Drummond+ b. 17 Apr 1866, d.
9 Aug 1941; he
had a son
i) G/Capt. Edward Morton Drummond b. 11
Mar 1898; he
married 10 November 1922 Edith Daphne
Eunice Taylor,
daughter of Wilfrid Doneraile
Stanhope Taylor and Margaret
Annie Halcombe. No issue recorded.
3) Maurice Drummond (18__ - ) married 18__ Hon.
Adelaide Lister
(d. ___ ), daughter of Thomas Lister, 2nd Baron
Ribblesdale and his
wife Adelaide Lister, and had a daughter May
Theresa Ella
Drummond, per thepeerage.com
4) Walter Drummond (5 Jul 1830 - ) ; married 1852
Isabella Mary
Hervey (d _____), daughter of Colonel Lionel
Charles Hervey, and
had a daughter Mary Selina Drummond who married
1890 Algernon
Henry Peter Strickland, and had a son Algernon
Walter Strickland
(1891-1938) who married 1915 Lady Mary Pamela
Madeline Sibell
Charteris, daughter of Hugo Richard Charteris,
11th Earl of
Wemyss, and had issue 1 son and 2 daughters (see
under Wemyss
E). His widow Lady Pamela Strickland remarried
1943 Major John
George Lyon. Descendants include the painter Matthew
Carr (married
to Lady Anne Somerset, only dau of the 11th Duke of
Beaufort)

b) Reverend Arthur Drummond ( 20 Aug 1797 - 26 Feb 1862); he
married
18__ NN, and had issue
1) Reverend Arthur Hislop Drummond (5 Apr 1843 - 19 Feb
1925);
he married 186_ NN, and had issue
a) Lt.-Col. Arthur Berkeley Drummond (27 Nov
1869 - 11 Nov
1918); he married 18 January 1894 Edith
Charlotte Lambert
1865- 9 January 1919), 2nd daughter of Sir
Henry Edward
Francis Lambert, 6th Bt. and Eliza
Catherine Hervey. Her
eldest brother took the name of Sir Henry
Foley Grey, 7th Bt.
in 1905, and his granddaughter Eileen Foley
Grey (1922-1997)
was 1st wife of the 11th Earl of
Harrington, and mother of
Viscount Petersham.
[http://thepeerage.com/p24089.htm#i240885]
i) 2nd Lt. Nigel Felton Drummond (2 Feb
1895- 20 Dec 1916)
ii) Captain Eric Arthur Drummond (Sep 1900
- 26 Jun 1970).
He married, firstly 6 September 1924
(divorced 1938), Molly
Beryl Croft, daughter of Hugh William
Croft, by whom he
had issue 3 sons. He married,
secondly 12 December
1938 Elnah Raymond Russell Wilding,
daughter of Henry
Russell Wilding, by whom he had issue
2 daughters. He
married, thirdly 19 October 1954,
Barbara Faraday,
daughter of Wilfred Barbard Faraday.
a) Ronald Nigel Drummond (1 August
1925 - 1978) He
married, firstly, 1948 (div by
1960) Josephine Marie
Pourbaise, daughter of Jules
Pourbaise, Comte de Bey,
and had issue 1 son. He married,
secondly 1960 Dinah
Adams, daughter of Ralph Adams.
1) Iain Stewart Drummond (b.
1950)
b) John Berwick Lindsay Drummond (b.
25 Nov 1927),
married 1953 Daphne Mary
Woollcombe, daughter of
Reverend Edward Percy Woollcombe,
and has issue 1
son and 4 daus
1) Richard John Drummond (b. 10
Dec 1963); he
married 1990 Andrea Bettina
Kutz, daughter of
Peter Kutz, and has two
daughters
c) Charles Iain Drummond (23 Mar
1932 - 22 Nov 2002).
He married Christine Mary Browne,
daughter of Eric
Stevenson Browne, on 3 March
1962, and has issue 1
daughter.

This apparently completes the descendants of the 4th Viscount
Strathallan. Next are the descendants of his brother Andrew Drummond
(1688 - 2 Feb 1769) who married 7 November 1716 Isabella Strahan (d 13
February 1731), and had issue

a) John Drummond, of Stanmore (27 Apr 1723 - 25 Jul 1774) married 22
December 1744 Charlotte Beauclerk (d ) , daughter of Lord
William Beauclerk (himself son of the Duke of St Albans) and his wife
Charlotte Werden, and had two sons and one daughter. The descendants
can be traced easily via the Theroff files (descendants of James VI &
I) but the highlights are given here
1) George Drummond, of Stanmore (1758 - 6 Mar 1789); married 1779
Martha
Harley (1760-August 1788), daughter of Hon. Thomas Harley
(himself son of
Edward Harley, 3rd Earl of Oxford and Mortimer), and had issue
2 sons and
1 daughter.
a) George Harley Drummond, of Stanmore and Drumtochty (23 Nov
1783 -
21 Mar 1855); married 9 February 1801 Margaret Munro (d 28
April 1853),
daughter of Alexander Munro, and had issue 2 sons.
1) George Drummond, of Stanmore (12 Feb 1802 - 5 Jan
1851); married
14 April 1831 Marianne Portman, daughter of Edward
Berkeley
Portman and Lucy Whitby, and had issue 1 son
a) George James Drummond, of Swaylands House,
Penshurst,
Kent (22 Jun 1835 - 31 Jan 1917) married 6
July 1876 Elizabeth
Cecile Sophia Norman, daughter of Reverend F.
J. Norman and
Lady Adeliza Elizabeth Gertrude Manners,
daughter of the 5th
Duke of Rutland (and thus sister to Lady
Elizabeth Frederica
Manners who married Andrew Robert Drummond
above;
Elizabeth Norman was thus cousin to some
other Drummonds),
and had issue 3 sons and 4 daus
1) George Henry Drummond (3 Mar 1883, d.
1963) He married,
firstly 11 January 1917, Helena Kathleen
Holt, daughter of T.
Grattan Holt, by whom he had four
daughters. He married,
secondly 30 October 1940, Honora Myrtle
Gladys Spiller,
daughter of Lt.-Col. Duncan W. L. Spiller,
by whom he had 1
son and 3 daus
a) [by 2nd wife] George Albert Harley
Drummond, or George
de Vere Drummond (b. 9 Mar 1943)
living in Barbados
2002. He married ___ Rachel Manley,
by whom he has
issue, 1 son. He is also father of
director Matthew
Vaughn, later Matthew de Vere
Drummond (b 7 March
1971; husband of model Claudia
Schiffer). He is also a
godson to the late King George VI
and godfather to model
Jodie Kidd His apparently
legitimate son is:
i) George Drummond (b. 1971).
2) Lieutenant David Robert Drummond (30 Oct
1884 - 3 Nov
1914 killed in action). He married 10
September 1907 Hilda
Margaret Harris, daughter of Alfred Helyer
Harris, and
had issue 3 daus
3) Captain Alexander Victor Drummond (20 Oct
1888 - 29 Apr
1937). He married 24 October 1914 Ellen
Pauline Matthew
Bliss, daughter of Ellis Bliss, and had
issue 1 son and 2 daus.
a) Alexander Peter Drummond (b. 15 Jun
1927); married 2
November 1954 Anne Audrey Ruth Seamer,
daughter of
Frank Seamer,, and had had issue 1 son
and 2 daus
i) Harrie Malcolm Drummond (b. 11
March 1962)
2) Henry Dundas Drummond b. 17 Dec 1812, d. 25 Jul
1867; married 1
December 1838 Sophia Jane Mackinnon, daughter of
Charles C.
Mackinnon, and apparently had no issue.

b) Andrew Mortimer Drummond (9 Nov 1786 - 1 Jun 1864) married
25 July
1808 Lady Emily Charlotte Percy (circa 1787- 22 May 1877),
yr daughter
of Algernon Percy, 1st Earl of Beverley (yr son of Hugh
Percy, 1st Duke
of Northumberland) and his wife Susan Isabella Burrell,
and had issue 1
son and 4 daughters.
1) Mortimer Percy Drummond ( 7 Sep 1816 - 5 Oct 1893);
married
8 October 1840 Jane Nairne, daughter of James
Drummond Nairne;
apparently no issue. He married 2ndly 10 September
1857 Emmeline
Fanny Rawlings (d 10 May 1915), daughter of Reverend
Francis G.
Rawlings, and had issue 1 son and 2 daus.
a) Captain Mortimer Percy George Douglas Drummond (27
Nov 1860 -
8 Dec 1936); he married 1890 Alice Lydia Ward,
daughter of
William C. Ward, and had a daughter.

2) John Drummond (1766 - 28 May 1833) He married, firstly, 11 June
1789
Hester Cholmondeley, daughter of Thomas Cholmondeley and
Dorothy
Cowper, and had issue. He married, secondly, Barbara Chester,
daughter of
Charles Chester, on 1 May 1806. He died on 28 May 1833.
a) John Drummond married 22 April 1816 Georgina Augusta Harvey
(d 11
October 1878) daughter of Admiral Sir Eliab Harvey GCB of
Rolls Park
and his wife Lady Louisa Nugent, daughter of Robert Craggs
Nugent, 1st Earl Nugent

Shinjinee

Mar 29, 2009, 11:28:20 AM3/29/09
to Peerage News

On Mar 28, 5:33 am, Shinjinee <SSenpub...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have the two sons of the present Earl of Perth married yet. The
> current situation appears to be:
> 1. James David Drummond, Viscount Strathallan b. 24 Oct 1965
> 2. Hon. Robert Eric Drummond b. 7 May 1967
> 3. Hon. James Reginald Drummond b. 28 July 1938; twice married, no
> issue. Younger son of the 17th Earl and brother of the present Earl.
>
> Who is the next heir presumptive?  There are some persons shown who
> appear to have married but no issue is shown for them. Please don't
> tell me that this person is the descendant of Cyril Augustus Drummond
> (shown below).

I have updated the genealogy of the Drummonds of Strathallan, and it
appears that the heir presumptive from the junior branches may be Mr
Maldwin Drummond, of Cadlands, who is indeed descended from Cyril
Augustus Drummond, himself a descendant of Andrew Drummond of
Cadlands. (Lots of Manners and Perceval ancestry there). Maldwin
Drummond has a son by his second marriage, his first marriage to a
Cayley (sister of Lady Grey of Codnor) producing no sons and only two
daughters.

Shinjinee