Malcolm Offord - new life peer

colinp

Oct 3, 2021, 2:18:33 PMOct 3
to Peerage News
The Scottish financier, Malcolm Offord, was made a Scotland Office minister on 30 September and will receive a peerage.

sven_me...@web.de

Oct 3, 2021, 2:24:07 PMOct 3
to Peerage News
Once again a rich donor who becomes a Peer

sven_me...@web.de

Oct 3, 2021, 2:45:23 PMOct 3
to Peerage News
The same mistake we just had with Peter Cruddas.

bx...@yahoo.com

Oct 3, 2021, 6:38:41 PMOct 3
to Peerage News
By my rough count, according to Wikipedia, this will be the 65th life peerage creation in exactly 2 years.

It seems like a lot.  Is that any sort of record?

Thanks.

Brooke.

William H.S. Leeson (William Stotesbury-Leeson)

Oct 3, 2021, 7:25:51 PMOct 3
to Peerage News
Hi, Brooke--check out David Beamish's page ( UK peerage creations: Peerages created under the Life Peerages Act 1958  );  he has a full list of life peerages created under the 1958 Act.  While I have no figures offhand, it looks like 1997 is the year to beat, in which roughly 89 life peers were created.

bx...@yahoo.com

Oct 3, 2021, 8:50:08 PMOct 3
to Peerage News
Thanks, William.

It must be awfully crowded in that House chamber,  with all of those peers!

Brooke

David Beamish

Oct 4, 2021, 11:17:55 AMOct 4
to Peerage News
Company House records indicate that he is Malcolm Ian Offord and was born on 5 September 1964.
As regards numbers of life peerages created, the page www.peerages.uk/admintable.htm on my website shows numbers of peerages created by each Prime Minister. This will be Boris Johnson's 83rd, in a little over two years. In 1997 there were 91 creations of life peerages (two of them under the Appellate Jurisdiction Act 1876).

William H.S. Leeson (William Stotesbury-Leeson)

Oct 4, 2021, 1:21:51 PMOct 4
to Peerage News
Hi, David!  I'm glad to see that you are a member of this group!  If I may take the opportunity to say, I've been following your work for a number of years now, and remain very impressed at the breadth and scope of your fine scholarship!  I did take the liberty of including a link to your website on my new website's "Resources and Links" section, as your work is a valuable digital resource for those who research the subject.  Anyway, congratulations on your excellent work, and I hope that it continues for a long time to come!  Nice to make your acquaintance!!!

colinp

Oct 14, 2021, 6:54:57 AMOct 14
to Peerage News
Notice in Daily Telegraph 14 October 2021:

Baron Offord of Garvel, of Greenock in the County of Renfrewshire, is the gazetted name, style and title of the life peerage conferred upon Mr Malcolm Ian Offord

www.maltagenealogy.com

Oct 15, 2021, 12:30:16 AMOct 15
to Peerage News
Thanks for that.

colinp

Oct 15, 2021, 10:45:06 AMOct 15
to Peerage News
From the Edinburgh Gazette 15 October 2021:

Crown Office

THE QUEEN has been pleased by Letters Patent under the Great Seal of the Realm dated 13 October 2021 to confer the dignity of a Barony of the United Kingdom for life upon Malcolm Ian Offord, by the name, style and title of BARON OFFORD OF GARVEL, of Greenock in the County of Renfrewshire

sven_me...@web.de

Oct 15, 2021, 10:51:08 AMOct 15
to Peerage News
Is it true that there are plans for Arlene Foster too?

www.lordmountbattenofburma.com

Oct 15, 2021, 2:50:49 PMOct 15
to Peerage News
As a former member of the NI Assembly for 18yrs, a former First Minister, a Privy Counsellor since 2016, a leader of a major political party etc.... surely it would be no surprise if she was elevated to the Upper House?