JonnyK
unread,Dec 21, 2007, 12:06:37 PM12/21/07Sign in to reply to author
Sign in to forward
You do not have permission to delete messages in this group
Either email addresses are anonymous for this group or you need the view member email addresses permission to view the original message
to Peerage News
de BURGH - Lydia Anne, died December 18, 2007. Beloved and very loving
daughter of the late Captain Charles de Burgh, DSO RN, and Mrs de
Burgh, very talented and active aunt and great-aunt, sister to Coralie
(Kinahan). Memorial Service, Loughinisland Parish Church, Seaforde,
Co. Down, Tuesday 15th January, 2008 at 12.00 noon.
Lydia de Burgh was an artist of note and a great admirer of the old
masters, Titian, Velasquez, Van Dyke, Reynolds and Gainsborough who
influenced her work. She studied art privately with well-known
portrait painter Sonia Mervyn in London and also at the Bryan Shaw
School of Art. Lydia was an Honourary Academician of the Royal Ulster
Academy and member of the Chelsea Art Society and Wildlife Society. As
well as being a renowned wildlife artist, she was the only resident
Irish artist to have had personal sittings with the Queen and the late
Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester.
Born in 1923, the daughter of Captain Charles de Burgh and Isabel
Campbell Killyman, Lydia was one of a long line of notable de Burghs
in the history of Ireland. With a lineage stretching back to the great
Emperor Charlemagne, from whom they claim descent, the de Burgh
family's role in Irish affairs has made an immense impact on the shape
of the island's past. From the first Norman knights who cantered
across the seas in the 12th century to the courtrooms of Georgian
Dublin, the de Burghs have been intrinsically involved with some of
the most pivotal events in Irish history.
The de Burghs claim their descent from Charlemagne through Jean, Comte
de Konign and Baron de Tonsburgh in the late 10th century. Amongst
their more prestigious forbears were Baldwin de Burgh, King of
Jerusalem (1118 - 1131) and Ode, Bishop of Bayeux, for whom the Bayeux
Tapestry was made. The first of the family to settle in Ireland was
William de Burgh, a Steward of Henry II, who personally received the
submission of the Kings of Connaught and Meath at Athlone in 1172.
Lydia de Burgh was descended from the Oldtown branch of the family
which was established in Co. Kildare just over 300 years ago by Thomas
Burgh, one of the first great Irish military engineers. His other
descendents include the Georgian orators Walter Hussey Burgh and John
Foster, General Sir Eric de Burgh, the singer Chris de Burgh and his
daughter Rosanna Davison, who was Miss World 2003.
Her father Charles was born in 1886. In 1908 he joined the
Mobilization Department of the Admiralty under his first cousin
Admiral de Robeck. He orchestrated submarine movements during the
Great War, won a DSO in 1917 and subsequently commanded HMS Cyclops
(1926 - 27) and the 6th Submarine Flotilla (1928 - 29) and retired to
Seaforde, Co. Down. In the later years of her life Lydia lived nearby
in Clough, Co. Down and is survived by her sister Coralie, also a
painter of distinction and the widow of Sir Robert (Robin) Kinahan
(1916-1917), of Castle Upton, Templepatrick, Co. Antrim.
As a footnote, I think it is safe to assume that she is also related
to the now extinct branch of the de Burghs (also known as de Burgo)
who were Earls and Marquesses of Clanricarde and resided at Portumna
Castle, Co. Galway. Built between 1610 and 1618 Portumna was one of
the first, if not the first, building in Ireland to admit some of the
Renaissance refinements already common in Italy and France for over a
century, but which took so long to filter through to Ireland. After
the death of the last Marquess of Clanricarde in 1916 Portumna passed
to his great-grandson, Henry Lascelles, Viscount Lascelles, afterwards
the 6th Earl of Harewood. Although it had been a ruin since a fire
swept through in 1826, Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood and her
husband, the same Lord Lascelles, visited Portumna in 1928, and by all
accounts received a great welcome. The Portumna estate was acquired by
the Irish Government in 1948.