The Times: Ladies first in Tory plan to abolish primogeniture

Richard R

Feb 20, 2021, 5:23:16 AM2/20/21
to Peerage News
Discuss, as they say!

From the Times of 20 Feb 2021:
EXTRACT
Ladies first in Tory plan to abolish primogeniture
Daughters may take hereditary peerages under new bill
Downing Street is drawing up plans to end the centuries-old practice of aristocrats’ titles being inherited only by male descendants. Under the proposal to abolish male primogeniture, first-born daughters would take on their father’s hereditary peerage or baronetcy instead of younger sons.
...Male primogeniture was abolished for the British monarchy in 2011 under a reform by the coalition government, allowing first-born daughters to assume the throne. At the time, peers prevented the reform from applying to them....
...The prime minister has publicly backed scrapping male inheritance, though it could raise hackles among Tory traditionalists.
...Senior civil servants, however, fear that pushing a bill through parliament could expose other problems, including the role of the 92 hereditary peers. ...the issue was “complex”. As recently as March last year, the government refused to give time to a bill by Philip Davies, the Tory backbencher, to scrap male primogeniture.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ladies-first-in-tory-plan-to-abolish-primogeniture-3qznb7j5l

Henry W

Feb 20, 2021, 6:56:51 AM2/20/21
to Peerage News
Not sure about the comment that "[a]t the time, peers prevented the reform from applying to them" - the Succession to the Crown Act by its own terms is about the Crown. Of course, various peers have talked out other proposals to change hereditary succession, or they have been abandoned due to the complexity.

I'm glad that somebody has realised the issue is very complex. That is not to say that this cannot be achieved, but the sons currently titled by courtesy may suddenly find that they are not.  Some families may prefer that the currently expected, traditional succession still takes place; others will be desperate to
"save" the title from either extinction or inheritance on a collateral line; yet more will want to be gender blind, but how we deal with the changing surnames of baronetcies will cause confusion.  And then of course, how "back dated" is the change - do we allow succession from the current peer onwards, or should we reset the counter completely and work out the next peer/baronet as the "heir first born" from the original grantee. Is succession via a female line allowed only if born after a certain date? (like the Succession to the Crown act only allowed girls to trump boys after a certain year)

The best solution I have read (possibly proposed here) was legislation to allow each peer and heir apparent to petition the Crown for a variation in their remainder, and that normally this will be granted.  This may prevent unintended consequences as some titles already have complicated remainders, and have one statute that covers all possibilities might be impossible.

Care will need to be taken to ensure the parliamentary debate does not turn into a farce. A lot of "ordinary" people will not understand why this is an issue before Parliament, particularly if it eats up parliamentary time and there are other issues seen as more worthy of parliamentary time not being considered (covid, Brexit, economic fallout from either or both)

S. Jones

Feb 20, 2021, 10:37:15 AM2/20/21
to Peerage News
At the time I was sceptical about changes to the succession to the throne, for the simple reason that its always somewhat problematic to tamper with centuries old traditions. Now this change has been carried out, however. Lord Stockton once said that hereditary peerage was in keeping with the monarchy. Peerage and baronetage could be seen as a collection of mini monarchies, and from that point of view the discrepancy in the rules of succession is irreconcilable. The law, as it stands, prevents peers and baronets from being succeeded by their descendants according to the principle of gender equality. Yet the parliament finds this very principle so important that it was worth the effort to scrap more than 900 years of constitutional tradition for the sake of this principle.

For those reasons, I think steps should be taken to deliver the change. Many have argued, and many will continue to argue, that the issue is irrelevant, but it surely isn't irrelevant to the families concerned. If the families themselves want change, why try to stop it?

Even so, I hope there is some room for caution and consideration. In some cases with entailed estates being a peer and custodian of the family inheritance can be a full time job. Depending on the family it might be unreasonable to deprive an heir of an inheritance and the responsibilities attached to it, as he has been prepared for the role from the day he was born. In other cases, however, these considerations do not exist, and it would be equally ill advised to prevent any change just because there are some families for whom the result would be troubling.

One additional problem is related to families where the title(s) have changed from one branch to another many times. In case the change to the remainders was automatic, who would then become the rightful heir of a peer with no children of his own? His eldest sibling, or the female line descendant of his father's elder brother who died without a son? The dilemma is even more apparent in case this childless peer has succeeded to his titles on the death of a very distant relative. Would the heir then be the eldest daughter of the previous peer, even in case the last common ancestor of the present, childless peer and his immediate predecessor died, say 300 years ago? If yes, the near relatives of the present peer would be at a disadvantage. If not, an older branch would be at a disadvantage only because the previous peer happened to die earlier than a very distant male relative of his. Perhaps the eldest branch, defined in a gender blind manner, descending from the grantee of the title should inherit in a situation like this, bypassing not only the branch of the present peer but (depending on the case) also the daughters of his predecessor? I'm unwilling to express a firm opinion to a question like this.

However, I do think dilemmas like this are a very compelling argument the course of action that has been proposed by Lord Lucas of Crudwell in his private member's bill in the Lords a year ago, and by Henry W in the message I'm replying to, i. e. to implement the change case by case, by letting the families petition the Crown, letting the families thus define the best way forward, instead of imposing any automatic change on everyone. Even this, however, leads to an additional question. Is it sufficient for the Crown to hear the opinion of the peer himself or should the opinions of possible heirs be taken into consideration? If the latter would be the case, would the right only apply to an heir according to the old rules or to any prospective heir apparent/presumptive depending on the circumstances? In some cases, I believe, family intrigue might be unavoidable, yet I see no other way forward.

If the remainders are changed by petition and not automatically, there also comes the question whether the change should only be allowed to happen when applied to all the titles of a peer. If a peer holds more than one title, a pattern might emerge where the remainders are changed for some titles and left unchanged for others so that both an elder daughter and her younger brother can get at least one title. I might be sympathetic to that sort of arrangements, up to a point, as this would undoubtedly prevent disputes within families (see above). However, I believe this sort of tactical thinking needs to be prevented. Firstly, an increase in the number of hereditary peers would hardly be welcomed by many, despite the cap of 92 hereditaries in the Lords. Secondly, it would be political poison for the peerage and baronetage as institutions if the legislation would this way indirectly favour families with several titles at the expense of those with only one.

One last consideration is the question of older baronies that have been abeyant for centuries. If any future succession to a title should take place based on the order of birth alone, this would mean the automatical termination of abeyance for titles that are now vacant that way, would it not? Unless the new legislation is intended to produce a somewhat wacky employment scheme for DNA researchers, historians and lawyers in order to define heirs for titles that have been abeyant for centuries, something would have to be done. As a consequence, this too would be an argument for allowing changes to the remainders to take place by a process of petition and consent only. Further provision could and should then be made in order to prevent any title presently held by a peer from becoming abeyant (again).

S. Jones

Henry W

Feb 20, 2021, 2:17:51 PM2/20/21
to Peerage News
Thank you S. Jones for remembering where I had seen that before - Lord Lucas of Crudwell it was.

The problems of abeyance are several as you suggest, but also those titles in dormancy - similar to the situation you describe of peers inheriting from a kinsman and then leaving no issue themselves. Two examples immediately come to my mind:

Stirling of Glorat baronets - the last proven baronet died in 1949 (the 9th bt). The heir male is probably John Charles Stirling of Indiana, and whilst there has been some interest speculated in press reports as recently as 2009, he has not proven his claim (there is a potential problem with a branch unaccounted for that may not have existed - see previous discussion on this group). The "heir first born" is a female-line grandson of the late 9th baronet - I believe he (and his siblings) still owns the Scottish estates of his grandfather. This "heir first born" probably has a strong "moral" claim to the title as he still holds the historical estate.

Earl Breadalbane and Holland - the last recognised Earl died in 1995, without issue, though his father's sisters have living descendants. The heir male is probably Huba Campbell of Budapest, though again there are issues with other branches I think. Either way I believe the vast Taymouth Castle estate had been sold somewhat piecemeal in the early 20th century such that all that was left for the last 3 recognised Earls was the title itself.  Of course the Earldom is now on an entirely different collateral line to the original grantee (it was created effectively to heir male whatsoever), though all the Earls have had the earlier Campbell baronets as common ancestors. The title itself has been inherited on 4 distinct lines, and would make it onto a fifth if Huba could prove his claim. Here there is no "moral" claim that I feel any other relative could make on the title that would be stronger.

Allowing titles to separate is an interesting one I had not considered - I think some "guidance" from the Crown would be necessary here - whilst I feel that is an option for some titles that have merged in one family over time, I do not think it would be appropriate for (for example) the 3rd Earl of Swinton to split up his titles between his eldest child (a dau) and his eldest son (the current heir) by selectively choosing which titles to petition for a variation in the remainder for. All the titles were created for one original grantee (the 1st Earl), so they should remain united.

sarac...@googlemail.com

Feb 21, 2021, 6:03:49 AM2/21/21
to Peerage News
Interesting discussion,I suggest on this matter,a study of the (pre-1707 Treaty of Union) of the Scottish law of peerage resignation and regrant would be a good precedent

S. Jones

Feb 21, 2021, 6:59:39 AM2/21/21
to Peerage News
Thank you for the comments.

Henry W, you're right that the problems resulting from an automatic termination of all abeyances would be the same that already exist with dormant titles. However, the number of cases where a dormant title has an heir that could ever be realistically proven as the rightful peer or baronet is limited. If all abeyances were terminated automatically, the number of those cases would balloon out of all proportion. On the other hand, if remainders could be changed to allow gender blind succession, that would of course very much limit the number of new dormancies in the future, as distant collateral lines would no longer be preferred over close relatives in female line.

Saracen9696, I completely agree. The old Scottish mechanism of resignation and regrant is the best precedent available. In Scotland almost any kind of special remainders were allowed. In the new situation I think this mechanism should only be allowed for the purpose that's now being discussed, to extend the remainder to all heirs (descendants) of previous title holders in a gender blind manner.

S. Jones

malcolm davies

Feb 21, 2021, 5:02:20 PM2/21/21
to Peerage News
We have heard this all before-when you get to the details the problems start to arise.
The first is that there should be no interference with the terms of letters patent.Once you allow a breach of that principle,no succession rights are secure.If the succession rights operate unfairly,that unfairness can be remedied by the grant of a new title.
Second as to abeyances, it would lead to a substantial collection of titles for the senior co heir.When the 9th Duke of Norfolk died,the following baronies went into abeyance:Mowbray, Seagrave, Howard, Braose of Gower, Greystock, Ferrers of Wemme, Talbot, Strange of Blackmere,, Furnivall & Giffard of Brimmesfield.Termination of abeyances has only occurred for 3 of those titles;Mowbray, Seagrave and Furnivall. Mowbray & Seagrave were called out in favour of the senior co heir of the 9th Duke Lord Stourton. Furnivall was called out in favour of the daughter of the junior co heir Lord Petre.If the proposal is adopted then all of these titles would be held by Lord Mowbray.
Another example is the 2 baronies which went into abeyance on the death of the 10th Duke of Beaufort:Herbert & Botetourt.The abeyance of Herbert was determined in favour of David Seyfried who is the grandson of the second daughter of the 9th Duke.That occurred because he had a greater moeity of the shares in abeyance than the grandchildren of the elder daughter.If the current proposal becomes law,then the title should have gone to Frederica Thomas who is the senior co heir.
My final example is that of the 12th Lord Conyers who was also 15th Lord Darcy de Knayth and a co heir to the Barony of Fauconberg.When his son died unmarried his 2 daughters(The Countess of Yarborough and the Countess of Powis) were the co heirs.The Countess of Yarborough became Baroness Fauconberg & Conyers and the Countess of Powis, Baroness Darcy de Knayth.Both titles did not stay joined to the Earldoms of Yarbourough and Powis. Fauconberg & Conyers is now in abeyance again between the 2 daughers of the 9th Baroness.

marquess

Feb 22, 2021, 3:15:02 AM2/22/21
to Peerage News
For modern peerages with few collaterals there would be no problem if it were decided that the current holder and their issue were subject to gender blind rules the current heir apparent aside. So for example in the case the extinct Trent barony, it would be a simple matter to go back to the eldest daughter of the original grantee and her issue. If say for example we take the ancient barony of Trimslestown where there is no heir. It would be a monumental task to trace the issue of the eldest daughter of the first grantee or even the female issue of the second holder. There would be a large amount of dormancies, very few people these days are prepared to go to the expense to prove their claim to a title. A title that doesn't have the prestige of yesteryear nor any seat and in most cases no estate.

Take Lincoln and Wintertoun two cases where both peers have not taken the trouble to officially proves their claims.  On the plus side,  if such proposed changes were to come about, we could see the revival of the dukedom of Leeds, the prolongation of the marquisate of Abergavenny and even ropy marquisates like Camden. The dukedom Westminster would be let of its very precarious thread. The earldom of Norbury would which has no heirs would also be revived. The down side is that it would be questionable which family the peerage actually presents in relation to the original holder, when there are extant male collaterals who have been distanced from the peerage, which is now in the hands of a complete different family. It would be similar to the Berkely barony, where the holder is a very  distant relative to the senior representative of the male line.

Richard R

Feb 22, 2021, 5:01:02 AM2/22/21
to Peerage News
Extract from the Times letters page of 22 Feb 2021:

Inherited titles and lines of succession

"...This does not address other discrimination in the succession to titles, where children are in law the children of their parents for all purposes, except succession to a title."

"Any plan to make inherited titles, peers and baronetcies, inheritable by either sex (report, Feb 20) must also prevent the accretion of multiple titles by the marriages of eldest heirs of one sex to eldest heirs of the other sex, thus breeding in their eldest child one who inherits both titles...."

"...does it not occur to [Charlotte Carew Pole] that the real wrong is that either child should inherit a title bestowed by Charles I in 1628? Hereditary titles, except perhaps for a limited number of royals in line of succession, have no place in modern society...."

"...Sir Richard Carew Pole, had two older sisters: he inherited the baronetcy only because he was a son. Why should Mrs Carew Pole’s daughter be entitled to inherit the title in preference to her great-aunts or their heirs..."

"...One hopes your enthusiasm for reform of male primogeniture laws does not extend to the scrapping of aristocratic titles. For where would we be without such adornments to English literature..."

S. Jones

Feb 22, 2021, 12:03:11 PM2/22/21
to Peerage News
Malcolm Davies and Marquess both touch the issue of whether any change should apply retroactively. Abeyant titles are a special case, because any automatic change applying to every title would be problematic for them, no matter how the new rules would be applied. If the change was understood to take effect retroactively, backdating the application of the change to the time of the grantee, that would of course deprive most of today's title holders of their titles, and instead the heir general, as defined in a gender blind manner, would become the title holder.

Some seem to have the opinion that this would be the only just solution, and I can see the letter extracted by Richard R conveys this sentiment, too. At least to a point.

I think a solution that includes either retroactive application or automatic changes to remainders (or both) is no solution, but a can of worms, much more so than the pragmatic approach of making changes to remainders individually and only applying them in a manner that protects the rights of the present peer and, depending on the case, perhaps his direct male line heir apparent(s) too. I agree with the opponents of the change on two points: firstly, it would be an unprecedented change to the way how remainders have operated so far and secondly, it would soon lead to a situation where titles are held by women and men too who are neither the heir male, nor heir general according to male preference primogeniture, nor heir general in a gender blind manner of the original grantee. But then again, the change to the succession law (to the throne) can be seen as a strong precedent against those concerns. In 100-200 years Britain will inevitably have a monarch that is neither the heir general as defined traditionally nor the heir general as defined in a gender blind manner to Electress Sophia. The solution would not be entirely logical, that's for certain. But at the same time it would be a pragmatic compromise to prevent a chaos regarding the titles, yet also preventing the system from discriminating against women ad infinitum.

If the determination is there, any problem can be solved and a gender blind succession system can be introduced. What I tried to say previously, is that any legislation to that effect needs to be quite complex to get everything right, and even then there are bound to be many who'll remain unhappy about it, for various reasons. This is not a case where a bill containing two or three lines can be passed into law successfully without very careful preparation, just for the sake of some nice headlines for the government.

S. Jones

Henry W

Feb 22, 2021, 2:47:33 PM2/22/21
to Peerage News
I agree with you S. Jones that the changes to succession to the Crown will be replicated in their broad structure if a change to peerage/baronetage succession was to take place.  The incumbent is not displaced, and we seek their "heir first born", and then so on. Ultimately there would be few titles held by either the heir male/general or heir first born of the original grantee.

If there were attempts to revive already extinct titles this would proceed towards the "farce" I described earlier, and lend weight to the third and fifth letters that Richard quotes from the Times.  The British people would simply not understand why titles dead for decades, even centuries, should be revived - on one level I would struggle too.  Should debate enter into the realms of parliamentary "ping pong" where ever more complicated amendments are passed by one chamber and rejected by the other, again, there is every chance that more "socialist" elements in either chamber might try to amend any bill to abolish the hereditary peerage, at least as recognised by the state, entirely.

The fifth letter is the note of caution I would choose to sound - keep it low-key, with few opportunities for those with more radical tendencies to turn this into something else. As S. Jones says, careful preparation is the order of the day with a measured change in line with that to the Crown.

malcolm davies

Feb 22, 2021, 4:06:55 PM2/22/21
to Peerage News
If this reform is to proceed,what would happen,say to the Dukedom of Sutherland?Would the Earl of Sutherland(heir general of the 1st Duke) inherit instead of the Marquess of Stafford(heir male of the 1st Duke)?Both the Marquess of Stafford and his brother Henry only have daughters, and the extinction of the Dukedom is in sight unless a male heir arrives.Should Lady Isabelle Egerton become Duchess of Sutherland even though she is not the heir general of the 1st Duke?
Also note that the Earl of Sutherland's heir Lord Strathnaver would be displaced in the succession by his elder sister,so if she became Countess of Sutherland,she would not be the heir general of either of the 19th Countess or the 24th Countess of Sutherland.

www.maltagenealogy.com

Feb 22, 2021, 9:00:47 PM2/22/21
to Peerage News
In Spain it was a natural process, all titles created and acknowledged suddenly changed. THOUGH, Succession during the life time of a holder could push a title to another descendant or kin during lifetime. This happens a lot.

In the UK, the best way forward is to state, all new titles will be to the first born born in either legitimate or legitimate manner, intersex or transexually and third party born, further prescribing their spouse, either of same or opposite sex will style as spouse of their titled Partner. All other titles will either become extinct, or continue to laid dormant or in Abeyance until the Monarch extends the title personally to other descendants.

marquess

Feb 23, 2021, 3:11:24 AM2/23/21
to Peerage News
Let's not forget that Peerage titles represent tradition and therefore the remainder is to heirs lawfully begotten in marriage, it would be a poor thing if this were to change.  However there should be a provision for legitimised children to be able to succeed, just like in the Scots Peerage. Spanish titles  have always had a generous remainder.   My point being that going gender neutral was less of shock to a system that generally allowed female inheritance.

Richard R

Feb 23, 2021, 4:42:10 AM2/23/21
to Peerage News
The letters continue in the Times of 23 Feb 2021:

Inherited titles

"... who should inherit a title (letters, Feb 22) could be solved at a stroke by abolishing all hereditary titles. Simultaneously, the creation of new titles could be halted. Those whose achievements deserve public acknowledgement do not need titles for us to know who they are."

"...The grandmother of ...Lord Berners was a baroness in her own right. Her son ... commented rather cynically that his mother 'was indeed a baroness in her own right, but everything else in her own wrong'."

Jonathan

Feb 23, 2021, 9:26:06 AM2/23/21
to Peerage News
I think the first letter illustrates the danger in tinkering with this. If we are going to start to talk about equality when it comes to titles, why should some people have titles at all and not others, in particular ones they are simply inherited rather that earned? When the Succession to the Crown Bill was being debated, some MPs tried to add amendments that after the Queen's demise, there would be a referendum on whether to become a republic. While I suspect the monarchy is still fairly popular among the general population (at least compared to the alternatives) the hereditary peerage seems irrelevant and pointless to most people.

I do think special remainders are one of the things that makes studying the peerage interesting. If suddenly the original remainders can be swept away and changed, we lose a key aspect of a hereditary title.

I still think the best solution would be to revive the creation of hereditary peerages. The new titles could then have remainders to heirs general or whatever, could be granted to new, deserving families and also as new creations of existing titles that would otherwise become extinct.

sven_me...@web.de

Feb 23, 2021, 9:28:19 AM2/23/21
to Peerage News
The worst thing possible, nothing should be revived

S. Jones

Feb 23, 2021, 1:08:54 PM2/23/21
to Peerage News
I think I have already said everything I had to say, if not more. I can't resist adding some further thoughts, though.

As I wrote in my first message to this discussion, I was definitely not impressed by the changes to the Act of Settlement and other legislation regarding the succession to the throne. It was easier than many people had expected to change the order of succession. Easier than I had expected, at the very least. No doubt there will sooner or later come further attempts to fine tune the succession law.

Leaving remainders to peerages and baronetages as they are would be the easy solution. I don't have any insider knowledge about the processes in parliament or Downing Street, but somehow my gut feeling says the government expects the change to be an easy trick to get positive publicity. The moment they understand that weeks if not months of hard work is needed, the project will be forgotten, only to live on in an archived memo that no one is going to find for the next 50 years.

Because of that, I don't expect any change in this parliament. I do believe, however, that change is likely and also vital in the longer term, if hereditary titles are to survive at all. In the dying days of the last Labour government in 2010 they made desperate efforts to abolish the by-elections of hereditaries to the House of Lords. Some would argue Labour is even more attracted to symbolic change as a matter of principle today than it was back then. The question of hereditary peerages will be on the agenda sooner or later with a new government, and no one can say for sure whether it's only the by-elections that would be at stake.

Even if we ignored party politics altogether, there will always be a vocal, principled minority who wish to abandon all hereditary titles, possibly even monarchy itself. So the argument will be there in any case, and after the present reign it might get more vocal than it is today. The question will then be whether a project to abolish titles would gain sufficient traction or not. If most hereditary titles are to remain available for male heirs only, that fact may well emerge as the decisive argument in turning the majority against hereditary titles.

S. Jones

Richard R

Feb 24, 2021, 5:34:06 AM2/24/21
to Peerage News
Today's (24 Feb) Times letter prompts me to speculate if it's written by 'one of our own' given it rehearses arguments already raised by posters:

Hereditary peers

"...widening succession to all children would mean that titles would be far less likely to die out. In pre-Union Scotland the general approach was that the grant of  a title honoured the whole family, not just the individual, and as a result succession rules were widely drafted. This has kept very old Scottish peerages such as those of Sutherland and Mar alive. The stricter English rule of peerage inheritance limits the chances of perpetual succession, and ... kept the numbers of dignities in check. The extinction of many of the great dukedoms points to the success of this approach.
Opening succession to all children would reverse the implicit effect of ... retirement, and ultimately expiry.
...it would be easier to revive the pre-Union Scottish custom of petitioning the crown for a regrant of the title to a new set of heirs. Otherwise, if succession is widened for all titles, they will be maintained in perpetuity... disconnected from the reasons for their creation, offering entertainment to the idly curious and raising questions about why they continue to exist at all.
"

George

Feb 25, 2021, 6:59:18 PM2/25/21
to Peerage News

Anyone who has serious expertise in the relevant law and history knows the unavoidable flaws.  Please contact your MPs to draw their attention to the flaws.  I am an historian, lawyer, genealogist, and expert on the peerage and constitutional law, as are other readers of this group.

The proposal is a legally misconceived and historically destructive idea, and needs to be buried.  It should not be achieved by Act of Parliament.

(1)   Titles have always been able to descend through female lines, and the only occasions when they do not do so are on account of an exception individually stipulated by letters patent.  That is because the laws of inheritance exist at common law.

(2)   Since common-law rules of inheritance govern the inheritance of the Crown (inter alia) they are properly beyond the remit of statutory intervention, although there is such poor judicial and parliamentary understanding of the constitution these days that the principles are routinely ignored.  Let them not be ignored on this occasion.  It is a fundamental principle of our hereditary monarchy that the Crown’s descent as a corporation sole is immediate and indefeasible, and that neither the monarch nor even the Monarch-in-Parliament may choose who the monarch is.  For that reason (and despite the Succession of the Crown Act 2013, which did not purport to affect the common-law rules in general) it is an unalterable part of the common law—the ancient Anglo-Saxon law of the land which exists independently of the monarch and, unlike statute and equity, does not derive from the monarch.  That is why the monarch promises to uphold the common law in the Coronation Oath.

(3)   It is plainly not in the realm’s interest for Parliament to be capable of choosing who the monarch is.  Not only would it be a failure to uphold the part of the common law on which any crowned monarch relies for his or her inheritance in the first place; it would create an effective circularity in ultimate authority, as if the U.K. were a republic.

(4)   It is, furthermore, not proper for the Monarch-in-Parliament to amend by Act of Parliament historic letters patent from the Crown.  An attempt to do so would be legally confused, because it would involve the Monarch’s enacting a bill (with Parliament’s advice and consent) in explicit contradiction to the Crown’s own letters patent which, coming from the Crown, are not questionable in Her Majesty’s courts, the very place where statute is interpreted.  There would be two rival sources of authority, both claiming the legal authority of the Crown.  It is up to the Monarch who his or her peers are.

(5)   Were it possible to alter letters patent en masse by means of an Act of Parliament—which I do not think is technically possible because it is not the job of the courts (whose remit it would be to interpret the statute) to confer, or pronounce on the descent of, an hereditary dignity enjoyed by virtue of letters patent (contradicting the statute) from the Crown—the changes would mess up all the genealogical patterns of inheritance and create rival claims to titles.  Every title which ostensibly departed from its proper succession would acquire a legitimist heir.  The sole outcome of such improper changes would be the splintering and destruction of the Peerage as a living tradition.  The proposed change is plainly immaterial to the advancement of the rights of women.  Hereditary peerages confer neither wealth nor legislative power, and are still available by singular accident of birth.  The changes may advance merely the high-society status of a few dozen aristocratic women over the coming years, at the expense of historical continuity and the coherency of the laws of inheritance and of the constitution.

(6)   Since the Monarch-in-Parliament cannot bind itself, any Act of Parliament purporting to change successions to hereditary dignities by amending letters patent en masse would lose all purported force if it were repealed.  Accordingly, any purported inheritances under the Act would be conditional on the continued (purported) application of the Act.  The purported heirs would therefore lose their purported status upon repeal of the Act, and it would be clear that they never properly held their titles from the Crown.  It would become clear that it is not the place of Parliament to tell the monarch who his or her peers are.

(7)   The proposal would detach titles from families in the agnatic sense.  Such detachment is historically destructive.  We may be more familiar nowadays with thinking of ‘families’ in the nuclear or conjugal sense, but hereditary dignities logically require a longer view, so that, for example, the title Baron Stourton (recently discussed) is a dignity belonging to the Stourton family.  The Stourton barony happens to be one whose remainder is limited to heirs male by letters patent; but a barony created by writ, whose descent is by default to heirs general of the body lawfully begotten within the meaning of common-law rules of inheritance, would remain with a family so long as it continued to represent itself, and then pass into a new family (and new surname) when the original family’s title-holder produces only female-line descendants.  The successive heads of the new family would be the lineal representatives of the title-holder whose agnatic descendants went extinct.  That is how heraldic quarterings work.  The present proposal would destroy the notion of a dynasty, the doctrine of lineal representation, and the application of the carefully evolved rules of heraldry.  We do not need to see these changes.

(8)   The arguments based on "discrimination" are misconceived and palpably absurd.  Whenever any title is inherited, the inheritance "discriminates" against every other person then living on the planet.  Any daughters of the last holder of a title are unable to inherit the title for exactly the same reason as I am not: neither of us meet the requirements of the remainder.

The only conclusion is that our legislators should do nothing, as they cannot actually achieve anything either legally or culturally.  Historic letters patents were historic gifts, and they belong to their time and place unamended by us: the fact that their legacy reverberates down the generations, following a particular historically defined genealogical route, so as to make an heir living today a lord or lady, can serve as a reminder of our history.  We gain nothing by pretending that we can amend the genealogical routes historically chosen (which, by default, have never excluded women).  We might also remember that peeresses have always been accorded the rank and style of a peer: for every married male peer there is a peeress of equal status in the order of precedence.

Petitions to the Crown for a variation to a remainder could raise a few difficulties; it would be usual to grant a new title and let the previous one go extinct in time.  These options are already available, and no legislation is required.  Similarly, where a peerage is to go extinct for failure of heirs male even though the putative last title-holder has female-line descendants, a new title could be created with the precedence of the old and a different remainder.  It would be legally consistent, and not mess with our heritage and law.  No doubt this suggestion will be ignored because we have a decades-old public policy of encouraging the demise of the hereditary peerage, and I for one think that this latest proposal is in keeping with that policy.  The real way to change the peerage’s remainders would be to revive the peerage with new creations: that is precisely how the peerage’s remainders largely shifted, for example, from ‘heirs general’ (which permits female inheritance) to ‘heirs male’ (which does not).

I am aware that the Succession of the Crown Act 2013 renders the matter, to an extent, an effective fait accompli in respect of the Crown; but I note that the Act, while being unconstitutional because the Monarch-in-Parliament is not supposed to amend the succession, does at least refrain from attempting to override the common law in general.  The present proposal, on the other hand, appears to seek to alter the underlying common law, the relevant part of which is properly outside the monarch’s jurisdiction to alter.  The changes, while technically impossible to achieve by statute, would also be reversible by repeal, and therefore temporary as well as toothless.

I am not sure why S. Jones considers that a statute purporting to affect the Crown’s descent is irreconcilable with the other rules of inheritance which it did not purport to affect.  Statute and common law are generally incapable of being irreconcilable.

Mark Jennings

Feb 25, 2021, 7:50:43 PM2/25/21
to Peerage News
On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 11:59:18 PM UTC George wrote:

[...]

So much for 1688-9, the Act of Settlement etc...

George

Feb 25, 2021, 7:58:39 PM2/25/21
to Peerage News
Mark, the whole point of a Revolution is that it is not in accordance with the rule of law.

marquess

Feb 25, 2021, 8:48:50 PM2/25/21
to Peerage News
The Peerage has nothing to do with revolution, it represents order and tradition. I'd sooner see it abolished officially than have it diluted to the extent that it no loner represents the family of the original grantee and the patent used to create it. Just like in other European countries with disenfranchised nobility, willing members could form their own association and unofficially recognise members who had succeed according to the original limitation.

George

Feb 26, 2021, 2:31:43 AM2/26/21
to Peerage News
I agree of course that the peerage has nothing to do with revolution, and I agree with your point about lineal representation – see my numbered paragraph 7 above.  The intention of the proposal is to destroy or muddy the doctrine of lineal representation before the peerage can exist in the disenfranchised manner which you describe.  My reference to revolution was to explain that it is not necessary to reconcile the events of 1688 (and the subsequent Act of Settlement) with our understanding of constitutional law.  The "Glorious Revolution" was not in accordance with the law – which is why it was a Revolution.

marquess

Feb 26, 2021, 3:19:59 AM2/26/21
to Peerage News
Quite agree with you George in reference to the so called "Glorious Revolution," would that it had never happened.

Mark Jennings

Feb 26, 2021, 3:42:16 AM2/26/21
to Peerage News
Then it must follow, using your logic, that the current "Parliament" (and Monarch) are illegitimate, and any Act they purport to pass is of no effect in law.  It must also follow that any "Letters Patent" issued since 1689, together with every peerage those "Letters Patent" purport to have created, are also invalid (although presumably the Jacobite peerage is valid according to this view).  This leaves us with a vastly reduced peerage, and no real concern about anything done at Westminster that claims to affect the peerage, since it is all ultra vires.

john

Feb 26, 2021, 6:36:11 AM2/26/21
to Peerage News
Please excuse my poor english as I am no native speaker.

ad (1) Therefore there is not basic problem in changing letters patent e.g. by a charter of novodamus as proposed by others, preferable to all current heirs in their respective order in the current line of succession and their heirs of the body, ordered by general primogeniture.

ad (2) & (3) As common law ist the law of precedent and there is a lot precedent of parliament choosing who is King and who should inherrent the crown, it is in accordance with common law. If this can only be a part of a revolution, you as historian should propose the use of the term "Perth Revolution of 2011". But as you mentioned yourself, if simply every letters patent is changed, this whole bloc is irrelevant. The inheritance rules of common law are irrelevant if the latters patent superseed this.

ad (4) I agree, a simple law changing every letters patent would be a messy solution. I totally agree that we only can hope that the government will not choose this way. There are other proper ways. I order them form less to most invasive:
a) As the biggest concern is the membership in the House of Lords, only peers with updated letters patent might be allowed on the register of Hereditary Peers.
b) A broader way would be, to only allow "updateded" peers on the Roll of Peereage, giving only thoses peers legal recognition
c) The most consistent way, as some demanded here (" I'd sooner see it abolished officially than have it diluted to the extent that it no loner represents the family of the original grantee and the patent used to create it.") would be a Deprivation of all Peers (As common law dictates, only the parliament is capable of) and regreant by new letters Patent with special remainder as outlined above. This would even avoid the questionalble use of novodamus outside the scottish peerage.

ad (7) This point is absolutly moot, as, like you yourself outlined above, the inheritance in common law is male-preference, not agnatic as in the salic law of the continent. Furtermore as mentioned by many heralds, the heraldic law does not define the inhereritance rules but the inheritance does define the heraldry. There are uncountable Titles that went from family to family and led to frequent asumption of Multi-barrelled names and multiple quartered arms. What was no problem in the past will be no problem in the future. For the sake of clarity, the "less important" parts of the names and the arms are droped in the past and I am confident, that this still will be possible in the future.

john

Apr 8, 2021, 3:57:29 AM4/8/21
to Peerage News
By chance I found that in 1706 the letters patent of the Duke of Marlborough was extended with a special remainder by Parliament. I think this is an interesting precedent, as no one would doubt the legitimacy of the present Duke, who only inherited the title because Parliament adjusted the remainder. I would be interested in how others here consider this precedent.

marquess

Apr 8, 2021, 4:46:14 AM4/8/21
to Peerage News
No problem, because it wasn't an extension to the remainder that displace the male issue of the original grantee. What the ladies are proposing will, hence my opposition to it. If the proposal is to extend the remainders of peerages beyond the original grantee, but not to displace their issue, then I would have no objection to that.

George

Apr 10, 2021, 11:27:59 AM4/10/21
to Peerage News
Yes, I agree with Marquess.  The amendment was during the lifetime of the original grantee and did not displace any heirs male.  The adjective "historic" in the fourth numbered paragraph of my previous post referred to the original grantees' being deceased.

colinp

Apr 21, 2021, 8:47:28 AM4/21/21
to Peerage News
Further debate in the House of Lords yesterday, 20 April 2021 -  Gender-balanced Parliament and Male Primogeniture - Tuesday 20 April 2021 - Hansard - UK Parliament

malcolm davies

Apr 22, 2021, 6:39:50 PM4/22/21
to Peerage News
Colinp,
            Thanks for the link.
  2 points-first in answer to Lord Shrewsbury,Lord True has stated there is no review currently underway.
  Secondly, the ignorance displayed by the questioners as to how hereditary peerages are created-for example Lady Prashar.

George

Apr 22, 2021, 6:47:49 PM4/22/21
to Peerage News
Thank you for the link, Colin.  It was a series of highly ignorant contributions from life-peers and hereditary peers alike.

Henry W

May 23, 2021, 4:08:41 PM5/23/21
to Peerage News
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-57171323

BBC: Title inheritance law change 'overdue', says baronet's wife