VON HALLE / BUCKMASTER engagement

Richard R

Jun 5, 2019, 11:51:13 AM6/5/19
to Peerage News
From the Times of 5 June 2019: MR M W VON HALLE AND MISS H L BUCKMASTER The engagement is announced between Mungo, son of Mr Timothy von Halle and Mrs Sarah von Halle of London, and Lily, daughter of Mr and Mrs Henry Buckmaster of Little Blakenham, Suffolk.

Mungo Walter (b 1989 reg Q3 London) s of Timothy W L VON HALLE by his 1980 m (reg Q1 London) to Sarah L d of Hugh Meyer SASSOON (b 1929), scion of the gentry family of that name formerly of Ashley Park, and Marion Julia SCHIFF (d 2016).

Lily Henrietta (b 1990) d of Henry G BUCKMASTER [?b 1955] and Julia Mary (b 1956) d of Hugh Cam HOBHOUSE (1917-87, s of Sir Reginald Arthur HOBHOUSE 5th Bt (1878-1947)) and Aline Rosemary HUNTER BLAIR (1921-2010), scion of the Bts of that name.

I'm anticipating some additions/corrections!

G. Willis

Jun 5, 2019, 5:19:03 PM6/5/19
to Peerage News
I'm afraid I can only offer a few minor bits and pieces: Timothy von Halle's middle names, per the electoral roll, are 'Walter Laurence'; also from that source Henry G. Buckmaster's middle name is 'Gerald'. Per Companies House records he was indeed b. 1955, and is a fund manager. Also per Companies House, Timothy von Halle (also b. 1955) is a banker, and in the nineties an executive with Merrill Lynch. Sarah L. Sassoon was b. 1957.

Timothy von Halle's parents were Walter F. E. von Halle (I imagine the Walter Franz E. von Halle b. 1907, d. 2004) and (m. 1951) Josephine M. L. Dunne. Walter seems to have married 2ndly, 1960, Diana M. H. Hutchinson. I can't find a U.K. birth record for him so, as his name might reasonably be thought to imply, he was presumably born elsewhere (most likely Germany).

EDIT: Naturalisation certificate on National Archives site gives 'Walter Franz Erich von Halle. From Germany. Resident in London', this dated 6 February 1951.

Armed with this second middle name (amazing the difference it makes in the search results one gets!), thepeerage.com, citing BP 2003 vol. 1, p. 1164, shows that Walter's second wife was Diana Margaret Hely Hutchinson, dau. of Maurice Robert Hely Hutchinson, M.P. for Hastings (grandson of the 4th Earl of Donoughmore) and Melina Agnes Mary, dau. of Adm. Sir Colin Richard Keppel, an equerry to Kings Edward VII, George V, Edward VIII, and George VI. From there, as one might expect, is descent from the Earls of Albemarle (Sir Colin's grandfather the 4th Earl). Sir Colin's wife, Henrietta Mary, was daughter of Maj.-Gen. Richard Blundell-Hollinshead-Blundell, which family I thought were gentry (I definitely remember the distinctive name) but don't appear to be in Burke's Family Index. Possibly I misremember, as checking my files shows the name to appear in the Alston formerly of the Tofte pedigree, which might be where I saw it.

Walter's father was Dr Ernst Hermann von Halle, of Grünewald, Berlin.

Here's the URL for anyone interested in tracing further ancestry- I just wanted to give an outline!

S R Eglesfield

Mar 28, 2021, 1:14:04 PM3/28/21
to Peerage News

Josephine Mary L DUNNE (1925 - 13 VII 1957) was the younger child, and only daughter, of Sir Laurence Rivers DUNNE (4 X 1893 - 30 VI 1970), Chief Metropolitan Magistrate, 1948-1960, and his wife (married 1922, as her second husband), Armorel, née LE ROY-LEWIS (31 III 1890 - 9 I 1967).

For the Le Roy-Lewis family, see https://groups.google.com/g/peerage-news/c/5hujiT30j1A. Sir Laurence Dunne was of the family of Dunne, late of Kilcoony, which last appeared in Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland in the 1912 edition (for which, see https://archive.org/details/genealogicalhera00burkuoft/page/200/mode/2up?view=theater). The descent of Sir Laurence's father, Arthur Mountjoy DUNNE, KC (20 X 1859 - 18 VI 1947), from King EDWARD I, can be found in "The royal lineage of our noble and gentle families" by Joseph Foster (1884) - see https://archive.org/details/royallineageofou02fost/page/n117/mode/2up?view=theater.

William

Mar 30, 2021, 2:12:44 AM3/30/21
to Peerage News
I think you mean expectingvrather than anticipating