New Year Honours 2022

Richard R

Jan 1, 2022, 2:54:55 AM1/1/22
to Peerage News
Here's my starter for ten. Doubtless greater scrutiny will yield other names:

Companion of Honour
The LP Baron FIELD OF BIRKENHEAD b 1942

KBE
The Rt Hon Professor Ajay Kumar Lord [LP Baron] KAKKAR
The Rt Hon The Lord Thomas McLaughlin [LP Baron] MCAVOY

CBE
Countess Sally Jean DE LA BEDOYERE b 1960
Sir Laurence Henry Philip MAGNUS 3rd Bt b 1955

OBE
Lady Rachel Elizabeth WALLER (nee BEAUMONT, wife of Rt Hon Sir (George) Mark WALLER b 1940, sometime Lord Justice of Appeal, s of Rt Hon Sir George Stanley WALLER OBE 1911-99 sometime Lord Justice of Appeal & Hon Elizabeth Margery HACKING 1916-2008 d of 1st Baron HACKING 1884-1950)

colinp

Jan 1, 2022, 9:59:25 AM1/1/22
to Peerage News
As well as the New Year Honours, 10 Downing St also announced yesterday two "political honours".  One was a KBE for Robert Buckland MP, former Lord Chancellor, and the other a DBE for Caroline Dinenage MP who is Baroness Lancaster of KImbolton, her husband the former MP Mark Lancaster having been created a life peer in 2020

gorgo...@gmail.com

Jan 1, 2022, 10:22:16 AM1/1/22
to Peerage News
CBE
Countess Sally Jean DE LA BEDOYERE b 1960

It's interesting that they used her title on the list.
Any additional information about the countess would be appreciated.

Jonathan

Jan 1, 2022, 3:58:05 PM1/1/22
to Peerage News
Thanks for the posts, but as for the official Cabinet Office documents, what a mess they have made of people's titles! Lord Kakkar's is almost acceptable, but in a different format from Lord McAvoy's, which is not. I think this is the result of a rigid spreadsheet with a "Title" field. See the data on this page:

If the Cabinet Office can't get it right, how can we expect media outlets to do so?

As for Countess de la Bedoyere, she must be the wife of Guy de la Bédoyère, the historian who has appeared on "Time Team" on television, who is the eldest son of Count Michael Anthony Maurice de la Bédoyère (1900–1973). The former isn't styled as a Count in his Wikipeida page, while his father is. I didn't think the British government recognised such foreign titles, especially for them to be used in an official Cabinet Office list.

S R Eglesfield

Jan 1, 2022, 4:57:45 PM1/1/22
to Peerage News
Countess Sally Jean de la Bédoyère, née Carswell (born 9 VI 1960) was married on 24 November 1989 to (Count) Raoul Maurice Greville Huchet de la Bédoyère (born 20 VIII 1959), Guy's younger brother. They are the sons of (Count) Quentin Michael Algar de la Bédoyère (born 23 XI 1934), whose own father was Count Michael de la Bédoyère.

john

Jan 1, 2022, 6:54:49 PM1/1/22
to Peerage News
Under the Royal Warant of 27 April 1932, there is an explicit list of persons whose foreign title is accepted in the UK. I am not aware of any extension to this list. As I am not a UK citizen, I cannot do it myself, but I think it might be interesting to ask on what legal basis this title was used, with a Freedom of Information Request via whatdotheyknow.com.

Richard R

Jan 2, 2022, 4:37:49 AM1/2/22
to Peerage News
Sir John THOROLD 9th Bt 1734-1815
/
Rev Edward THOROLD 1779-1836
/
Rt Rev Anthony Wilson THOROLD 1825-95
/
Algar Labourchere THOROLD 1866-1936
/
Mary Catherine Ann THOROLD 1899-1959 m Michael Anthony Maurice DE LA BEDOYERE 1900-73
/
Quentin Michael Algar DE LA BEDOYERE b 1934
/
Raoul Maurice Greville Hutchet DE LA BEDOYERE b 1959 m Sally Jean CARSWELL CBE b 1960

dpth...@gmail.com

Jan 2, 2022, 8:24:42 AM1/2/22
to Peerage News
Based on a number of postings at the Nobiliana Forum for members of the French branch of the family, it seems that "Huchet" is part of the surname or title and not just an occasional additional forename.

S R Eglesfield

Jan 3, 2022, 5:03:07 AM1/3/22
to Peerage News

A French wikipedia article at https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famille_Huchet appears to confirm Huchet as part of the surname of the de la Bédoyère family, as does Free BMD, which has entries for a number of family members under the surname of "Huchet de la Bedoyere" as well as "De La Bedoyere".

colinp

Jan 6, 2022, 11:32:45 AM1/6/22
to Peerage News
Knight Bachelor
William Anthony Bowater RUSSELL - lately Lord Mayor of London.  For services to Financial Innovation, Culture, and Wellbeing in the City of London, particularly during Covid-19 - scion of the Russell Baronets (1916)

colinp

Jan 8, 2022, 1:14:20 PM1/8/22
to Peerage News
With regard to Jonathan's comment above, the London Gazette (which one might think would be correct) gives the following for Lord McAvoy's KBE:

 the Right Honourable Thomas McLaughlin, Lord McAVOY OF RUTHERGLEN. For Political and Public Service.

I think he is Lord McAvoy not Lord McAvoy of Rutherglen

John Horton

Jan 8, 2022, 2:31:15 PM1/8/22
to peerag...@googlegroups.com
London Gazette No 59470, page 12025 confirms your belief.

Jan 10, 2022, 4:56:53 PM1/10/22
to Peerage News
Knight Bachelor
William David Wiggin (Bill Wiggin) MP for North Herefordshire; for Political and Public service - scion of the Wiggin Baronets (1892)

colinp

Jan 15, 2022, 9:43:21 AM1/15/22
to Peerage News
a few more:

CB (Mil)

Maj-Gen Timothy David HYAMS OBE (Royal Dragoon Guards) – m to Catherine Mary nee Everard, sister of Sir Henry Everard, 5th Bt

CBE (Mil)

Brig Robin Ronald Edward LINDSAY (Black Watch, Royal Highland Regiment) – brother of Sir James Lindsay of Dowhill, 3rd Bt

CBE (Civil)

Esmeralda (“Es”) DEVLIN OBE, for services to Design – gd of the decd Baron Devlin (LP ext 1992) being the dau of Hon Timothy Devlin.  It appears she m Jack Dalloway and has 2 children

MBE (Civil)

Elizabeth Jane PRYOR, Chief Executive Officer, Anne Robson Trust, for services to End of Life Care – nee Robson, m to Henry Charles Lister Pryor son of Caroline Mary Louise Pryor nee Vyvyan, scion of the Vyvyan Baronets (E 1645) (from 3rd son of 7th Bt)