Irby/McConnel engagement

Michael Rhodes

Apr 9, 2009, 1:30:40 PM4/9/09
to Peerage News
_.The engagement was announced 9 April, 2009, between the Hon Jonathan
Charles Timothy Irby (b. 30 May 1975), 2nd son of the late 10th Baron
Boston (1939-2007) and of Rhonda, Baroness Boston, of Moelfre,
Anglesey, and Amanda P. McConnel, daughter of Captain and Mrs Ian
McConnel, of Brailes, Oxfordshire.

-==-

Shinjinee

Apr 10, 2009, 9:01:41 AM4/10/09
to Peerage News
Is the bride any relation to
a) Diana Ruth McConnel, now Duchess of Wellington (b. 9 May 1921)
only daughter of Major General Douglas Fitzgerald McConnel CB, CBE,
DSO, of Knockdolian, Colmonell [or Gillemichael], Ayrshire, wife of
the 8th Duke (b. 2 July 1915) and mother of the Marquess of Douro?
http://www.thepeerage.com/p10377.htm#i103766
Diana Ruth McConnel married 28 January 1944 the then Marquess of Douro
at St George's Cathedral, Jerusalem, and had issue 4 sons (all married
with issue) and 1 daughter (unmarried - Lady Jane Wellesley).
The Duke (with a photo) http://www.thepeerage.com/p10377.htm#i103765

Her father's military biography:
http://www.generals.dk/general/McConnel/Douglas_Fitzgerald/Great_Britain.html
His dates were 1893-1961. From 1941 to 1944, he was General Officer
Commanding Palestine & Trans-Jordan (hence his daughter's marriage in
Jerusalem), and from 1946-1947 (retirement) he was an ADC to King
George VI.

b) (Margaret) Elisabeth McConnel, (1918-1993), daughter of Captain
Frederick Bradshaw McConnel by his wife Frances Elizabeth Pringle,
late Dowager Duchess of Roxburghe, mother of the present 10th Duke and
his yr brother, and wife 3rdly (as his 2nd wife) of Jocelyn Olaf
Hambro?

And how were these two duchesses related to each other, if at all?
I've found that Diana Ruth McConnel was probably descended from two
brothers
* Thomas Houldsworth McConnel whose daughter Susan Katherine McConnel
(1870-1954) married a Garnett-Botfield; their daughter Ruth Garnett-
Botfield married Major-General Douglas Fitzgerald McConnel of
Knockdolian, Ayrshire; their daughter is the Duchess of Wellington
* Douglas Fitzgerald McConnel (1893-1961) appears to be the nephew of
John Wanklyn McConnel (dsp 1922, survivor of Lusitania 1915), son of
William McConnel who acquired Knockdolian in 1872. This McConnel was
possibly the same William McConnel who was brother to Thomas
Houldsworth McConnel

So conjecturally

NN McConnel -> Thomas Houldsworth McConnel -> Susan Katherine McConnel
-> Ruth Garnett-Botfield md her 2nd cousin Douglas Fitzgerald McConnel
(1893-1961)
NN McConnel -> William McConnel of Brooklands, later of Knockdolian
(acquired 1872) -> NN McConnel -> Douglas Fitzgerald McConnel
(1893-1961) md his second cousin Ruth Garnett-Botfield

I've no idea if Frederick Bradshaw McConnel, father of Elisabeth,
Duchess of Roxburghe (mother of the present Duke), was a grandson of
Thomas Houldsworth McConnel, William McConnel of Knockdolian, or some
other McConnel.

I've found quite a bit on the Duchess's Garnett-Botfield ancestry, but
it is not in any great shape. Her mother Ruth was the daughter of a
McConnel mother (Susan Katherine McConnel (1870-1954), dau of Thomas
Houldsworth McConnel, who married Walter Dutton Garnett Botfield
(1854-1933). Walter was the third son of Rev William Bishton Garnett-
Botfield, third generation to be landed patrilineally but descended
via his paternal grandmother from the Bishton landed family whose
estates he inherited. His grandfather was a cheesefactor or cheese
merchant who bought an estate in Nantwich, Cheshire in 1780.

Shinjinee

On Apr 9, 10:30 pm, Michael Rhodes <mig73allenford2...@yahoo.co.uk>

Ronald

Apr 11, 2009, 1:11:28 PM4/11/09
to Peerage News
William McConnel * … x 29-7-1852 Margaret Bradshaw Wanklyn * 22-3-1824
+ 14-5-1881
1. William Houldsworth McConnel * 1858 + … x … Florence Emma Georgina
Bannister * … + …
1.1 Douglas Fitzgerald McConnel * 1893 + 1961x 29-4-1920 Ruth Mary
Gar¬nett-Botfield * … + …
1.1.1 Diana Ruth McConnel * 1921
2. Frederick Bradshaw McConnel * 1868 + … x … Frances Elizabeth
Pringle * … + …
2.1 Margaret Elizabeth McConnel * ... 23-12-1918 + London 2-6-1983; xI
1-3-1938 (div.) James Cunningham Church * … + …; xII London 5-1-1954
George Victor Robert John Innes-Ker, 9.Duke of Roxburghe * London
7-9-1913 + Edzell, Kincardineshire 26-9-1974; xIII London 23-2-1976
Jocelyn Olaf Hambro * Londen 7-3-1919

Ronald