George William Romer-Lee

Michael Rhodes

Oct 4, 2008, 2:10:38 AM10/4/08
to Peerage News
Katherine Romer-Lee (nee Pavry) wife of Edward Romer-Lee, scion of
that LG family, gave birth to a son, George William, 26 September,
2008, a brother for Alice Evelina, 9 who was b January, 2007.

===

Richard R

Oct 17, 2008, 12:42:26 PM10/17/08
to Peerage News
Michael
I can't find the Romer-Lee family in the LG. Which edition are they
in?
Richard

On Oct 4, 7:10 am, Michael Rhodes <mig73allenford2...@yahoo.co.uk>

Michael Rhodes

Oct 19, 2008, 6:46:43 AM10/19/08
to Peerage News
Oh dear. Have I promoted this family to Landed Gentry status quite
erroneously? They have allied themselves down the years with
various peerage/baronetage families - collaterals of Barons St Levan
and the Montgomery Bartonets, &c. I'll investigate further.

==

Richard R

Oct 19, 2008, 6:51:44 AM10/19/08
to Peerage News
They certainly SOUND like a LG family and you're right, their name
pops up often. I'll be interested to see what you find

On Oct 19, 11:46 am, Michael Rhodes <mig73allenford2...@yahoo.co.uk>

Michael Rhodes

Oct 19, 2008, 5:34:33 PM10/19/08
to Peerage News
Some Romer-Lee births:-
Max Humphrey Romer-Lee, b 1997 (mother nee Smith)
Kristin Sonja Romer-Lee, b 1999 (mother nee Smith)
Jessica Charlotte Romer-Lee, b 2002 (mother nee Smith)

Some Romer-Lee marriages:-

Benjamin Knyvett Romer-Lee married 20 Jun 1998, Iona Margaret
Montgomery (b 1972), dau of Sir Basil
Henry David Montgomery, 9th Bt, and has issue: Arthur Knyvett b 1999;
Thomas Peter and twin Isla Elizabeth,
b Mar 2002.

Simon W. Romer-Lee married Harriet J Roffey in 2000. Daughter, Phoebe
Sophia, b 2005.

Christopher D. Romer-Lee married Alexandra Bollen in 2004. A son,
Orson Hayward, was b 2005.

Edward E. Romer-Lee married Katherine A.D. Pavry, in Oct 2004

Sarah J. Romer-Lee married Joshua A. Fairley, in 2005 (Isle of Wight)

Some Romer-Lee deaths:-

Charles Romer-Lee, b 30 June, 1909, died 2000, aged 91
Knyvett Romer-Lee, b 5 Oct, 1911; died Oct 1996, at North Walsham,
aged 85.
Margaret Louise Romer-Lee, b 3 Mar 1910, died Jan 2000, at Kensington,
aged 89
Margaret Marjorie Romer-Lee, b 3 Oct 1915; d Mar 2002, in Surrey, aged
86.

Richard R

Oct 20, 2008, 5:14:33 AM10/20/08
to Peerage News
So no citing so far as a LG family?

On 19 Oct, 22:34, Michael Rhodes <mig73allenford2...@yahoo.co.uk>

Michael Rhodes

Oct 20, 2008, 1:23:28 PM10/20/08
to Peerage News
.....not yet. I'm still on the scent .....

Michael Rhodes

Oct 24, 2008, 6:27:06 AM10/24/08
to Peerage News
I have found reference to an Old Etonian Romer-Lee. Lt.-Col. H. Romer-
Lee, CMG (1919), DSO (1918), of the 20th Hussars;b 21 July, 1874,
educated at Eton and Sandhurst; served in the army from 1895 to the
end of the First World War; recreations; fishing, polo, shooting, &c;
married Clara Douglas Hilger, of New York; 2 sons. residence: 9 Sloane
Gate Mansions, SW1; Clubs: Cavalry and Hurlingham. He died 8 Oct,
1955.

I'm now on the trail of his parentage......

==

Michael Rhodes

Oct 24, 2008, 6:56:59 AM10/24/08
to Peerage News
Knyvett Romer-Lee, b 5 Oct, 1911; is the colonel's son; he died Oct

Michael Rhodes

Oct 24, 2008, 7:00:36 AM10/24/08
to Peerage News

On 24 Oct, 11:27, Michael Rhodes <mig73allenford2...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:
He was born at Kensington, as "LEE, Harry Romer".

Michael Rhodes

Oct 24, 2008, 2:17:05 PM10/24/08
to Peerage News
From the New York Times, Dec 15, 1907:

WEDDINGS OF THE WEEK

"Tomorrow, in the American Church of the Holy Trinity, Paris,
Capt. Lee of the British Army will be married to Miss Clara
Douglas Hilger, a granddaughter of the late Charles T. Parry.
A wedding breakfast will be given after the ceremony at the
residence of her aunt, Mrs. James Baird. Capt. and Mrs. Lee
will visit New York on their bridal tour. They will arrive here
in January."

and another report:-

MISS HILGER MARRIED
Husband captain in British Regiment
Called "Roosevelt's Own"
(Special Cable to the New York Times)
Paris, Dec 16 (1907)
"All the notables of the Anglo-American colony of Paris were present
this afternoon at the marriage of
Capt. Romer Lee of the British Army and Clara Douglas Hilger of
Philadelphia. The ceremony was performed in the
American Church.
The bride was given away by her uncle, Mr. James Baird. The Maid of
Honour was Miss Ella O'Connor, of San Francisco.
The bridesmaids were Miss Gladys Perry, who is a cousin of the bride;
Miss Addie Freeborn, and Miss Norah Williams.
Another member of the Twentieth Huzzars (sic), which is Capt. Lee's
regiment, will be married to an American lady in
Paris next Saturday. This will make the third Anglo-American wedding
in the same regiment within twelve months."

==

Michael Rhodes

Oct 24, 2008, 2:27:14 PM10/24/08
to Peerage News

On 24 Oct, 19:17, Michael Rhodes <mig73allenford2...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

(..........snip)

Miss Clara
> Douglas Hilger, a granddaughter of the late Charles T. Parry.

Charles T. Parry made his millions in the early days of the Baldwin
Locomotive
Works, apparently.

==

Richard R

Oct 24, 2008, 3:14:03 PM10/24/08
to Peerage News
Have we managed to attach any of these names to the newly-arrived
George William?

Here's some more Romer-Lee info [sources in bkts: T=Times, WW=Who's
Who, D=Debrett's 1923 Companionage section p 1727]

Lt-Col Harry Romer-Lee, the son of Harry W Lee [D] married 16 Dec 1907
Clara Douglas daughter of Douglas HILGER of New York [T 19.12.07]. She
died 3 Jan 1973 [T 4.1.73] and had 2 sons [WW & T 4.1.73]:
1 Charles Romer-Lee m 8 Nov 1935 [T 9.11.35] June Isabel dau of Sir
John Edward Thornycroft KBE (d 1960) and Isabel dau of A B Ward
2 Knyvett Romer-Lee who m quietly in Yorkshire 31 Oct 1941 (T 21 &
27.10.41) Jeanne Pamela d Mr Evelyn Ward (she d 7 May 1982) and had
issue [T 8.5.82]
(1) Robin Knyvett Romer-Lee b 27 Oct 1942 [T 29.10.42] of Luddington
Manor, Stratford-on-Avon m c1967 [engagement T 20.11.67] Annette
Millet dau G H Brocklehurst and had issue
(1a) Benjamin Knyvett Romer-Lee b 3 April 1971 [T 5.4.71]
(2) James Romer-Lee
(3) Alexander Romer-Lee
(1) Carol Helen Romer-Lee b 15 Dec 1946 [T 17.12.46] m c1971 [T
engagement 24.11.71] James son of Mervyn Bruxner of Barming, Kent

There's probably more I can dig out but I need to stop to eat!

On Oct 24, 7:27 pm, Michael Rhodes <mig73allenford2...@yahoo.co.uk>