LLOYD GEORGE OF DWYFOR, Rt Owen LLOYD GEORGE, 3rd Earl (1924-2010)

Richard R

Aug 3, 2010, 3:11:03 AM8/3/10
to Peerage News
From the Telegraph of 3 August 2010:

LLOYD GEORGE
Owen, 3rd Earl Lloyd George of Dwyfor on 29th July 2010, peacefully at
Ffynone, aged 86. Husband of Jo, father of David, Robert and Julia and
taid to fifteen grandchildren. Funeral at Berea Chapel, Criccieth,
North Wales on Friday 6th August at 2.30 p.m. Family flowers only. A
Memorial Service will be held later in the year at The Guards Chapel
in London.

He was the son of the 2nd Earl Lloyd George (1889-1968) and his 1st
wife Roberta Ida Freeman (1898-1966) dau of Sir Robert McALPINE 1st Bt
(1847-1934) and Florence Margaret Palmer (d 1910). He m 1st 1949 (div
1982) Ruth Margaret (d 2003) dau of Richard COIT of 18 Thurloe Sq,
SW7; he m 2ndly 1982 Cecily Josephine (b 1925, widow of the 2nd Earl
of Woolton, and formerly wife of the 3rd Baron Forres) dau of Maj Sir
Alexander Penrose GORDON CUMMING MC JP DL 5th Bt (1893-1939) and
Elizabeth Topham (1901-85, who later m 5th Earl Cawdor) dau of John
Topham RICHARDSON. The 3rd earl is succeeded by his from his 1st
marriage:

DAVID RICHARD OWEN (b 1951) 4th Earl LLOYD GEORGE OF DWYFOR. He m 1985
Pamela Alexandra (b ?1952) dau of Alexander KLEYFF and had issue. 2
sons:

SONS LIVING
WILLIAM ALEXANDER Viscount Gwynedd (b 1986) unm
Hon Frederick Owen (b 1987) unm

BROTHER LIVING
Hon Robert John Daniel LLOYD GEORGE (b 1952). He m 1st 1978 (div 1991)
Kim, dau of Carl FISCHER of New York and had a son and a dau; he m 2nd
1992 Donna Jean dau of John Archbold HUFTY of Palm Beach, Florida, and
had a further 4 sons and 3 daus.

SISTER LIVING
Lady Julia Margaret Violet (b 1958) m 1984 Simon Erroll PRIOR-PALMER
(B 1951) son of Maj-Gen George Erroll Prior-Palmer, CB DSO (1902-77)
of that Irish gentry family, and his 2nd w Lady Doreen Hersey Winifred
HOPE (1920-88, dau of 2nd Marquess of LINLITHGOW and Doreen Maud,
scion of the MILNER Bts). They have 3 sons and a dau.

marquess

Aug 4, 2010, 8:29:26 AM8/4/10
to Peerage News
This earldom has do done quite well in terms of collaterals, pity that
the Viscountcy of Tenby isn't looking so healthy!

ThomasFoolery

Aug 4, 2010, 11:19:58 AM8/4/10
to Peerage News
Just out of curiosity, is there a hyphenate in the style of this
earldom? Is it Earl Lloyd-George, or just Earl Lloyd George? I've
seen it both ways. Wikipedia says that some rule REQUIRES a hyphen,
even though the prime minister's last name does not have one. Does
this sound correct?

Peter FitzGerald

Aug 4, 2010, 12:34:01 PM8/4/10
to Peerage News
On 4 Aug, 16:19, ThomasFoolery <mmp...@eden.rutgers.edu> wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, is there a hyphenate in the style of this
> earldom?  Is it Earl Lloyd-George, or just Earl Lloyd George?  I've
> seen it both ways.  Wikipedia says that some rule REQUIRES a hyphen,
> even though the prime minister's last name does not have one.  Does
> this sound correct?

There is no hyphen, and the title is "Earl Lloyd George of Dwyfor".

The rule seems to be that a hyphen is required for a surname-only
peerage, hence Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber becoming Lord Lloyd-Webber and
Sir Mark Malloch Brown becoming Lord Malloch-Brown. This is presumably
to avoid the risk of the title looking like a courtesy title (Lord
Lloyd Webber, for instance, potentially being Lloyd, the younger son
of a Duke or Marquess with the surname "Webber"), although it does
seem to me to be rather a small risk (how many people with the first
name "Malloch" have you ever met?), and no one seems to mind the
similar (albeit even smaller) risk with Lord Milford Haven, Lord Monk
Bretton, etc.

However, Lloyd George seems to have got around this rule by adding "of
Dwyfor", the rationale presumably being that "Lord Lloyd George of
Dwyfor" is definitely a peer (well, if you can discount the
possibility of a peer with the surname "George of Dwyfor").

ThomasFoolery

Aug 4, 2010, 12:51:09 PM8/4/10
to Peerage News
I seem to find both. The London Gazette announced the peerage with
the hyphen (http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/36938/pages/883).
The House of Lords website (http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/
ld199697/ldinfo/ld03mem/inf3bb.htm#L) does as well.

On Aug 4, 12:34 pm, Peter FitzGerald <peter.fitzger...@live.com>

Richard R

Aug 18, 2010, 4:28:35 AM8/18/10
to Peerage News
Here's the Telegraph obit:

Earl Lloyd George of Dwyfor
The 3rd Earl Lloyd George of Dwyfor, who died on July 29 aged 86, was
proud to have inherited the name and title of the most celebrated
statesman in Welsh history, and was deeply attached to the legends and
traditions of the Principality.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/7948760/Earl-Lloyd-George-of-Dwyfor.html

On Aug 4, 5:51 pm, ThomasFoolery <mmp...@eden.rutgers.edu> wrote:
> I seem to find both.  The London Gazette announced the peerage with
> the hyphen (http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/36938/pages/883).
> The House of Lords website (http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/
> ld199697/ldinfo/ld03mem/inf3bb.htm#L) does as well.
>
> On Aug 4, 12:34 pm, Peter FitzGerald <peter.fitzger...@live.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On 4 Aug, 16:19, ThomasFoolery <mmp...@eden.rutgers.edu> wrote:
>
> > > Just out of curiosity, is there a hyphenate in the style of this
> > > earldom?  Is it EarlLloyd-George, or just EarlLloydGeorge?  I've
> > > seen it both ways.  Wikipedia says that some rule REQUIRES a hyphen,
> > > even though the prime minister's last name does not have one.  Does
> > > this sound correct?
>
> > There is no hyphen, and the title is "EarlLloydGeorgeof Dwyfor".
>
> > The rule seems to be that a hyphen is required for a surname-only
> > peerage, hence Sir AndrewLloydWebber becoming LordLloyd-Webber and
> > Sir Mark Malloch Brown becoming Lord Malloch-Brown. This is presumably
> > to avoid the risk of the title looking like a courtesy title (Lord
> >LloydWebber, for instance, potentially beingLloyd, the younger son
> > of a Duke or Marquess with the surname "Webber"), although it does
> > seem to me to be rather a small risk (how many people with the first
> > name "Malloch" have you ever met?), and no one seems to mind the
> > similar (albeit even smaller) risk with Lord Milford Haven, Lord Monk
> > Bretton, etc.
>
> > However,LloydGeorgeseems to have got around this rule by adding "of
> > Dwyfor", the rationale presumably being that "LordLloydGeorgeof
> > Dwyfor" is definitely a peer (well, if you can discount the
> > possibility of a peer with the surname "Georgeof Dwyfor").- Hide quoted text -

marquess

Aug 18, 2010, 7:59:17 AM8/18/10
to Peerage News
Pretty innocuous obit I thought, I was disappointed to learn that
there were no substantial Welsh acres and that Ffyfone was only lately
purchased.

On 17 Aug, 20:28, Richard R <r_rut...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Here's the Telegraph obit:
>
> Earl Lloyd George of Dwyfor
> The 3rd Earl Lloyd George of Dwyfor, who died on July 29 aged 86, was
> proud to have inherited the name and title of the most celebrated
> statesman in Welsh history, and was deeply attached to the legends and
> traditions of the Principality.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/7948760/Earl-Lloyd-George-...

Richard R

Aug 19, 2010, 3:14:04 AM8/19/10
to Peerage News
Yes, in the sense of not being harmful or offensive, it is an
innocuous obit. But I found it quite interesting, particularly the
interest Churchill took in LG's grandsons and ensuring they all made
it to the former PM's funeral.