Retirements from the Lords

colinp

Apr 1, 2020, 11:43:59 AM4/1/20
to Peerage News
In March 2020 as well as the Earl of Selborne (as reported by Henry W) on 26 March, Lord Steel of Aikwood (non-affiliated) retired on 27 March.

colinp

May 2, 2020, 10:44:36 AM5/2/20
to Peerage News
Lord Brookman (Labour) retired on 2 April 2020

Sven Meyer

May 2, 2020, 2:33:24 PM5/2/20
to Peerage News
and the Countess of Mar

Graham

May 2, 2020, 5:00:09 PM5/2/20
to Peerage News
Lord Selborne and Lady Mar have both triggered by-elections which will take place after 8th September - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/By-elections_to_the_House_of_Lords#Forthcoming_by-elections

BREMENMURRAY

May 3, 2020, 11:40:25 AM5/3/20
to Peerage News
How times have changed.The Premier Earldom of Scotland held by a British Telecom employee

Henry W

Jun 2, 2020, 3:34:52 PM6/2/20
to Peerage News
https://hansard.parliament.uk/lords/2020-06-02/debates/7B044389-8EDF-4523-8BDE-226E3408E5CC/RetirementsOfMembers

My Lords, I should like to notify the House of the retirements, with effect from 26 May, of the noble Lord, Lord Woolmer of Leeds, and, with effect from 2 June, of the noble Baroness, Lady Howe of Idlicote, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I thank the noble Lord and the noble Baroness for their much-valued service to the House.

colinp

Jun 3, 2020, 5:16:37 AM6/3/20
to Peerage News
Baroness Byford (Con) also retired on 5 May

colinp

Jul 2, 2020, 1:51:46 PM7/2/20
to Peerage News
Lord Luce (crossbencher) retired on 29 June 2020

Henry W

Jul 22, 2020, 6:42:02 PM7/22/20
to Peerage News
In the past two days the retirements of Lord Morris of Handsworth and Baroness Hanham have been announced.

sven_me...@web.de

Jul 23, 2020, 11:19:48 AM7/23/20
to Peerage News
and soon Lord Williams of Oystermouth

colinp

Aug 1, 2020, 6:04:21 PM8/1/20
to Peerage News
Lord Darling of Roulanish (Lab) retired on 28 July

colinp

Sep 1, 2020, 1:51:01 PM9/1/20
to Peerage News
Lord Williams of Oystermouth and Lord Jones of Birmingham retired on 31 August 2020

Henry W

Sep 14, 2020, 2:59:43 PM9/14/20
to Peerage News
Additional retirements of Lord Kirkwood of Kirkhope (2 Sept) and Lord Clarke of Stone-cum-Ebony (14 Sept)

The Lord Speaker (Lord Fowler)
 My Lords, I should next like to notify the House of the retirement, with effect from 31 August, of the noble and right reverend Lord, Lord Williams of Oystermouth, and the noble Lord, Lord Jones of Birmingham, and, with effect from today, of the noble Lord, Lord Kirkwood of Kirkhope, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I should like to thank all the noble Lords for their much-valued service to the House over the years.

The Senior Deputy Speaker (Lord McFall of Alcluith)
My Lords, I should like to notify the House of the retirement, with effect from today, of the noble and learned Lord, Lord Clarke of Stone-cum-Ebony, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I would like to thank the noble and learned Lord for his much-valued service to the House.

colinp

Oct 1, 2020, 5:03:09 AM10/1/20
to Peerage News
Lord Freeman (Cons) retired today

Henry W

Oct 29, 2020, 1:09:40 PM10/29/20
to Peerage News

From Hansard - 29 October:
The Lord Speaker (Lord Fowler):
My Lords, I should like to notify the House of the retirement, with effect from today, of my good friend, the noble Lord, Lord Elton, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I should like to thank the noble Lord for his much-valued service to this House.

Lord Elton is of course 2nd Baron Elton (born 1930), an elected hereditary peer,  and his retirement will cause another by-election amongst the hereditaries to be held once they resume (January 2021 at the earliest). There are now four vacancies.

A slight variation from the Lord Speaker's standard formula in announcing a retirement in describing Lord Elton as a good friend - they were both ministers in the Department of Health & Social Care at the same time during the Thatcher premiership.

Henry W

Nov 17, 2020, 1:52:16 PM11/17/20
to Peerage News
From Hansard of 16 November 2020

The Deputy Speaker (Lord Lexden) (Con)
My Lords, I should like to notify the House of the retirement, with effect from 14 November 2020, of the noble Lord, Lord Ahmed, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014.

Lord Ahmed has gained some notoriety of late, and a House of Lords report recommending his expulsion was published 16 Nov - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54975932 - presumably on this basis the customary thanks for service were not made by the Deputy Speaker.

Henry W

Dec 1, 2020, 4:12:17 PM12/1/20
to Peerage News
From Hansard of 1 December 2020

The Lord Speaker (Lord Fowler)
My Lords, I should like to notify the House of the retirements, with effect from today, of the noble and gallant Lord, Lord Guthrie of Craigiebank, and of the noble Lord, Lord Haskins, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I should like to thank both of them for their much-valued service to the House.

Both were Crossbench Life Peers.

According to Wikipedia, Lord Guthrie of Craigiebank was a member of a Scottish Landed family, but no significant genealogy provided on thepeerage.com, nor do I possess volumes that would help. Does anybody have more information?

S R Eglesfield

Dec 2, 2020, 7:04:14 AM12/2/20
to Peerage News
Wikitree has an on-line genealogy at https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Guthrie-2606, which does not include Lord Guthrie, but does show his father, Ronald Dalgleish GUTHRIE (12 VII 1909 -1982), and some of the family's connections. Guthrie of Craigie appeared in the 1972 edition of Burke's Landed Gentry, but I do not have access to that at the moment.

sarac...@googlemail.com

Dec 2, 2020, 10:01:05 AM12/2/20
to Peerage News
The updated Guthrie of Craigie genealogy appears in Burkes's Landed Gentry(The Kingdom of Scotland)-19th Ed.,with a full entry for Gen.Sir Charles Ronald Llewelyn,Lord Guthrie of Craigiebank,just before he was ennobled.

Ronald Dalgleish Guthrie was a younger lineal great-grandson of George DempsterGuthrie,HEICS - 3rd son of James Guthrie,2nd of Craigie,cadet of Guthrie of Hiltoun,cadet of Guthrie of Guthrie -whose wife Barbara was dau. of Capt.Thomas Dunbar of Westfield by Isabella,dau. of John Sinclair,2nd of Scotscalder,descended via the lines of Lybster and Assery,from an illegitimate nephew of George Sinclair,5th Earl of Caithness(b.c.1566-d.1642).

Henry W

Dec 17, 2020, 1:57:58 PM12/17/20
to Peerage News
Thank you for the previous comments about Lord Guthrie of Craigiebank - I realised I did have relevant volumes, and found the family in Burke's Landed Gentry 1952.

The Lord Speaker, Lord Fowler:
My Lords, I should like to notify the House of the retirement, with effect from today, of the noble Baroness, Lady Wilcox, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I should like to thank very sincerely the noble Baroness for her much-valued service to this House.

She was cr a Life Peer in 1996 as Baroness Wilcox, of Plymouth in the County of Devon

Henry W

Jan 6, 2021, 5:56:12 PM1/6/21
to Peerage News
From Hansard of 5 January 2021:

The Lord Speaker  (Lord Fowler)
My Lords, I should like to notify the House of the retirement, with effect from 1 January, of the noble Lord, Lord Cavendish of Furness, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I thank the noble Lord for his much-valued service to the House.

Henry W

Feb 22, 2021, 4:34:07 PM2/22/21
to Peerage News
Hansard of 22 February 2021:

The Lord Speaker (Lord Fowler)
[...]
I should like to notify the House of the retirements, with effect from 12 February, of the noble Lord, Lord Wilson of Tillyorn, and, with effect from 19 February, of the noble Baroness, Lady Tonge, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I should like to thank the noble Lord and noble Baroness for their very much-valued service to this House.

Henry W

Mar 17, 2021, 3:01:05 PM3/17/21
to Peerage News

The Senior Deputy Speaker (Lord McFall of Alcluith)

My Lords, I should next like to notify the House of the retirement, with effect from today, of the noble and learned Lord, Lord Walker of Gestingthorpe, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I should like to thank the noble and learned Lord for his much-valued service to the House.

Lord Walker of Gestingthorpe was a Law Lord appointed, under the Appellate Jurisdiction Act 1876, in 2002. He transferred to the new Supreme Court in 2009, retiring in 2013 upon reaching mandatory retirement age.

Henry W

Apr 13, 2021, 2:13:47 PM4/13/21
to Peerage News

The Lord Speaker (Lord Fowler)

My Lords, I should like to notify the House of the retirement, with effect from 9 April, of the noble Baroness, Lady Kinnock of Holyhead, whom we know so well, and, with effect from 12 April, of my friend, the noble Lord, Lord Ryder of Wensum, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I thank the noble Baroness and the noble Lord for their very much-valued service to this House.

Both life peers created in 2009 and 1997 respectively.

Henry W

Apr 26, 2021, 4:22:18 PM4/26/21
to Peerage News
Hansard of 26 April 2021
The Lord Speaker (Lord Fowler)
My Lords, I should like to notify the House of the retirement, with effect from today, of another good friend, the noble Lord, Lord Denham, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I thank the noble Lord for his long and much-valued service to the House.

Lord Ashton of Hyde (Con)
My Lords, with the leave of the House, I want briefly to acknowledge what the Lord Speaker has just announced and pay tribute to my noble friend Lord Denham on the notification of his retirement from this House.

Lord Denham became a Member of this House in 1949 and has served with us for over 71 years. On his retirement, he was the longest-serving Member of the House. My noble friend had an admirable career, serving in the Governments of Harold Macmillan, Alec Douglas-Home, Ted Heath, Margaret Thatcher and John Major, and culminating in an impressive 12-year term as Government Chief Whip. He was devoted to this House, knew it backwards and served it well. I know your Lordships will join me in thanking him again for his long and distinguished service to the House and to the country.

Lord Denham is of course 2nd Baron Denham KBE PC (born 1927). He was the longest serving peer in the House, as mentioned by Lord Ashton of Hyde, since the death of Lord Carrington in 2018, and he is succeeded in seniority by 2nd Baron Trefgarne PC (born 1941), who first sat in 1962.  His retirement was somewhat expected as Colin P had mentioned he was in danger of expulsion for inactivity at the end of this session.

colinp

Jul 1, 2021, 11:17:20 AM7/1/21
to Peerage News
The House of Lords website records that Lord Sainsbury of Turville retired today, 1 July 2021

sven_me...@web.de

Jul 1, 2021, 11:25:57 AM7/1/21
to Peerage News
His cousin seems to haven't got a new leave of absence so maybe he is going to retire soon?

David Beamish

Jul 20, 2021, 5:37:39 AM7/20/21
to Peerage News
One might have expected Lord Sainsbury of Preston Candover (now aged 93) to retire, but no - the minutes of proceedings of yesterday (19 July) record that he has been given leave of absence from the House of Lords for the remainder of this session.

sven_me...@web.de

Jul 20, 2021, 5:42:23 AM7/20/21
to Peerage News
He is on leave for such a long time now why isn't he retiring?

colinp

Sep 2, 2021, 6:59:09 AM9/2/21
to Peerage News
This has already been reported but for completeness I mention here that Lord Beecham (Jeremy Hugh Beecham) retired from the Lords on 1 Sept 2021

Henry W

Oct 28, 2021, 6:52:01 PM10/28/21
to Peerage News
Two recent retirements to report:
The Lord Speaker (Lord McFall of Alcluith)
My Lords, I notify the House of the retirement, with effect from today, of the noble Lord, Lord Puttnam, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I thank the noble Lord for his much-valued service to the House.

The Lord Speaker (Lord McFall of Alcluith)
My Lords, I should like to notify the House of the retirement with effect from today of the noble Lord, Lord Tyler, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I thank the noble Lord for his much-valued service to the House.

Lord Puttnam (b 1941) was a Labour life peer (cr 1997).

Lord Tyler (b 1941) was a Liberal Democrat life peer (cr 2005).  He m 1970 Nicola Mary INGRAM (b 1951), scion of the baronets of that name, and of the SMITH LG family, formerly of HERTINGFORDBURY PARK and of DUFFIELD, and thus a descendant of ABEL SMITH (1717-88), the ubiquitous banker, and kinswoman of HM The Queen. Unsurprisingly there are many more connections to families of whom we treat!

colinp

Nov 1, 2021, 10:35:24 AM11/1/21
to Peerage News
The House of Lords website records that Lord Hunt of Chesterton (Labour) retired on 30 October 2021

sven_me...@web.de

Nov 1, 2021, 10:54:44 AM11/1/21
to Peerage News
Lord Archer and Lord Hanningfield thought about retiring at 80 but still haven't yet. Lord Christopher as the oldest at 96 is unlikely to return from leave as well as the reamaining Sainsbury. Baroness Greenfield, Afshar, Fritchie and Campbell of Lougbourough are seldom present for a long time, so they belong to a part of the House that should retire. Lord Sugar hasn't voted for years after leaving Labour. Expenses cheats like Lord Bhatia, Paul and Baroness Uddin still there. Many richdonors were already there before Offord and Cruddas. Everyone of them should take the step to leave the House and retire.

Henry W

Nov 8, 2021, 4:47:04 PM11/8/21
to Peerage News
From Hansard of 8 November 2021:

The Lord Speaker (Lord McFall of Alcluith)
My Lords, I should like to notify the House of the retirement, with effect from 5 November, of the noble Baroness, Lady Hilton of Eggardon, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I thank the noble Baroness for her much-valued service to the House.

Baroness Hilton of Eggardon was created a life peer in 1991 and sat as a Labour peer.

colinp

Jan 29, 2022, 5:26:46 AM1/29/22
to Peerage News
From the Minutes of Proceedings of the House of Lords 28.01.2022 : Lord Coe will retire on 31 January and Lord Rotherwick (Conservative hereditary peer) on 1 February 2022

sven_me...@web.de

Jan 29, 2022, 7:41:25 AM1/29/22
to Peerage News
The better thing to staying on leave of absence (Coe) and once again a hereditary peer and so a following by-election

Henry W

Jan 29, 2022, 11:57:48 AM1/29/22
to Peerage News
It is always difficult to know another's intentions, but I would hope that some peers see themselves honour-bound by the spirit of the Burn's report, even if the Prime Minister of the day does not.

A conclusion of that report was a desire to move towards "two out, one in" where peers would retire once they had given all they intended to public life, and allow a more active tranche of new peers come through to prevent stagnation in the House. Lord Coe last spoke in the House in 2019, but has maintained an active voting record since.  Its not easy to judge his overall contribution as a parliamentarian, particularly as the work of committees can be so important, but given the above, I worry he isn't adding much to quality of parliamentary life.  On leave since November 2021, he may have come to the same conclusion.

The more peers who aren't doing much in the House, other than voting and using the excellent restaurant facilities [retired peers may still use these!], should have a similar introspection I feel.

sven_me...@web.de

Jan 29, 2022, 12:56:21 PM1/29/22
to Peerage News

two out one in is not enough. Many many could leave to have an effective working chamber

sven_me...@web.de

Jan 29, 2022, 2:03:10 PM1/29/22
to Peerage News
There are people on leave of absence who are very unlikely to return

Lord Christopher in his mid nineties the oldest member
Baroness Campbell of Louborough claimed to do more when she has more free time but I think that's unlikely.
Lord Browne of Madingley has only voted very few times and not since a long time ago.
Lord Black of Crossharbour a criminal
Lord Hanningfield a convicted criminal as well thought about retiring at 80
Lord Lawson of Blaby at his advanced age
Lord Palumbo of Southwark a rich donour who all should loose their seats like Cruddas for example
Lord Sugar who has not voted for years before his leave
Baroness Vadera who is on leave for a very long time

Lord Archer of Weston super Mare has only voted once in about 20 years and thought about retiring
Baroness Flather, Fritchie and Lord Bamford as well as some others have not voted for years

Many more who should retire in my opinion.

David Beamish

Jan 29, 2022, 2:27:54 PM1/29/22
to Peerage News
Another retirement was in the Minutes of Proceedigs of 27 January (https://lordsbusiness.parliament.uk/ItemOfBusiness?itemOfBusinessId=107541&sectionId=40&businessPaperDate=2022-01-27): Lord Fellowes [former private secretary to HM the Queen, life peerage created 1999] will retire on 10 February.
It is understandable that Colin missed this one: the minute entry did not appear online (except in the downloadable PDF of "House of Lords Business") until today. A list of retirements is on my website at peerages.uk/peeragesd.htm

Henry W

Mar 31, 2022, 3:10:23 PM3/31/22
to Peerage News
From Hansard of 31 March 2022

The Lord Speaker (Lord McFall of Alcluith)

My Lords, I should like to notify the House of the retirement with effect from today of the noble Lord, Lord Tebbit, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I should like to thank the noble Lord for his much-valued service to the House.

Henry W

Apr 7, 2022, 5:22:01 PM4/7/22
to Peerage News
From Hansard of 7 April 2022

The Lord Speaker (Lord McFall of Alcluith)

My Lords, I should like to notify the House of the retirement, with effect from today, of the noble Lord, Lord Lea of Crondall, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I acknowledge the noble Lord’s contribution to the work of the House.

Henry W

Apr 28, 2022, 3:02:05 PM4/28/22
to Peerage News
All reported elsewhere in various forms, but for completeness:

The Lord Speaker (Lord McFall of Alcluith)
My Lords, I should like to notify the House of the retirement, with effect from today, of the noble Lord, Lord Young of Graffham, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I should like to thank the noble Lord for his much-valued service to the House.

The Lord Speaker (Lord McFall of Alcluith)
My Lords, I should like to notify the House of the retirements, with effect from today, of the noble Lords, Lord Brabazon of Tara, Lord Moonie and Lord Oxburgh, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I should like to thank the noble Lords for their much-valued service to the House.

Lords Young of Graffham, Moonie, and Oxburgh were all in danger of expulsion for inactivity.

The retirement of Lord Brabazon of Tara creates a vacancy amongst the Conservative hereditary peers.

sven_me...@web.de

Apr 28, 2022, 3:16:03 PM4/28/22
to Peerage News
Let's see what happens with the rest of the list.

Henry W

Jun 30, 2022, 1:31:23 PM6/30/22
to Peerage News
From Hansard of 30 June 2022

The Lord Speaker (Lord McFall of Alcluith)
My Lords, I should like to notify the House of the retirement, with effect from today, of the noble Lord, Lord Lang of Monkton, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I thank the noble Lord for his much-valued service to this House.

Lord LANG OF MONKTON was born 1940 and served as a Conservative MP for Galloway, then Galloway & Upper Nithsdale from 1979 to 1997; Secretary of State for Scotland (90-95) and Trade & Industry (95-97).  After his defeat in the general election of 1997 he was made a Life Peer.

colinp

Jul 12, 2022, 4:25:40 AM7/12/22
to Peerage News
From Hansard 11 July 2022 -  My Lords, I should like to notify the House of the retirement, with effect from today, of the noble Lord, Lord Harrison, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I thank the noble Lord for his much-valued service to the House.

Lord Harrison b 1947 was a former Labour MEP cr a LP 1999

colinp

Aug 1, 2022, 8:34:14 AM8/1/22
to Peerage News
Lord Mackay of Clashfern (James Peter Hymers Mackay, present Lord Clerk Register and former Conservative Lord Chancellor) retired on 22 July 2022 (b 1927)

Lord Radice (Giles Heneage Radice, former Labour MP) retired on 1 August 2022 (b 1936)

colinp

Jan 6, 2023, 4:22:13 PM1/6/23
to Peerage News
Lord Lawson of Blaby retired on 31 December 2022 - I believe the announcement was made in the Lords quite some time ago

sven_me...@web.de

Jan 7, 2023, 2:52:20 AM1/7/23
to Peerage News
I wonder why someone did that with such a long time at his age.

Henry W

Jan 8, 2023, 9:13:05 AM1/8/23
to Peerage News
There is a silent minutes entry for Lord Lawson's service of his intention to retire on 16 May 2022.  I expect an announcement in the House on Monday (its first sitting day this year), which should appear in Hansard.   The length of notice is quite extraordinary, and I believe his participation in the House has been minimal.

Henry W

Jan 8, 2023, 9:14:32 AM1/8/23
to Peerage News
I should say - his participation has been minimal recently.

Henry W

Jan 21, 2023, 8:54:33 AM1/21/23
to Peerage News

The Deputy Speaker (Baroness Fookes)
My Lords, I should like to notify the House of the retirement, with effect from Saturday 31 December 2022, of the noble Lord, Lord Lawson of Blaby, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I thank the noble Lord for his much-valued service to the House.

Announcement on 9 January as expected.  He was a Conservative life peer, created in 1992, and previously sat in the Commons 1974 to 1992, served in high office including as Chancellor of the Exchequer.

Hansard of 19 January 2023

The Lord Speaker(Lord McFall of Alcluith)
My Lords, I should like to notify the House of the retirement, with effect from today, of the noble Lord, Lord Soley, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I thank the noble Lord for his much-valued service to the House.

He was a Labour life peer, having been created a peer in 2005. Previously sat in the Commons 1979 to 2005.

sven_me...@web.de

Jan 24, 2023, 1:21:55 PM1/24/23
to Peerage News
Baroness Chalker is next

Henry W

Jun 19, 2023, 5:32:20 PM6/19/23
to Peerage News
Hansard of 19 June 2023

The Lord Speaker (Lord McFall of Alcluith)

My Lords, I should like to notify the House of the retirement, with effect from today, of the noble and learned Lord, Lord Brown of Eaton-under-Heywood, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I thank him for his much-valued service to the House.

Henry W

Jul 26, 2023, 12:46:02 PM7/26/23
to Peerage News
Hansard of 25 July 2023

The Senior Deputy Speaker (Lord Gardiner of Kimble)

My Lords, I should like to notify the House of the retirements, with effect from today, of the noble Lords, Lord Davies of Stamford, Lord Hoyle and Lord Watson of Richmond, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I should like to thank all three noble Lords for their much-valued service to the House.

All life peers: 2 Labour, 1 Lib Dem.

colinp

Aug 1, 2023, 4:24:30 AM8/1/23
to Peerage News
From the House of Lords website "Find a member":

Lord Selkirk of Douglas (Con) (former Earl of Selkirk) and Lord Hylton (XB) (elected hereditary) retired on 27 July 2023.

colinp

Oct 3, 2023, 10:07:02 AM10/3/23
to Peerage News
From the House of Lords website "Find a member":

Lord Stevenson of Coddenham (XB) retired on 1 October 2023.  He last voted on 30 April 2018 and last spoke on 4 Feb 2013

Henry W

Dec 13, 2023, 3:04:58 PM12/13/23
to Peerage News
Hansard of 13 December 2023

The Lord Speaker   (Lord McFall of Alcluith)

I should like to notify the House of the retirement, with effect from yesterday, of the noble Lord,
Lord Rodgers of Quarry Bank, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I thank the noble Lord for his much-valued service to the House.

Life peer, formerly Labour Secretary of State for Transport (1976 - 79) before becoming one of the "Gang of Four" who formed the Social Democratic Party in 1981, and then transferring with most members in 1988 to the Liberal Democrats.  He was made a Life Peer in 1992, and then was Leader of that party in the Lords 1997 - 2001.  He was born 1928, so aged 95 and one of the oldest members of the House of Lords.

Henry W

Feb 29, 2024, 2:11:17 PMFeb 29
to Peerage News
From Hansard of 29 February 2024

The Lord Speaker (Lord McFall of Alcluith)
My Lords, I should like to notify the House of the retirement, with effect from today, of the noble Lord, Lord Goodlad, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I should like to thank the noble Lord for his much-valued service to the House.

The Lord Speaker (Lord McFall of Alcluith)
My Lords, I should like to notify the House of the retirement, with effect from today, of the noble Lord, Lord Plant of Highfield, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I thank the noble Lord for his much-valued service to the House.

Lord GOODLAD was a Conservative peer (cr 2005). He m 1968 Cecilia Barbara HURST, scion of the CRAWFORD and BALCARRES earls (not in remainder) - see Debrett's 2000 print (or earlier) editions.

Lord PLANT OF HIGHFIELD was a Labour peer (cr 1992).

sven_me...@web.de

Mar 1, 2024, 3:39:34 AMMar 1
to Peerage News
Bamford soon following who last voted in 2020.

colinp

Mar 2, 2024, 7:16:40 AMMar 2
to Peerage News
from the HoL Minutes of Proceedings 1 Mar 2024

Retirement The Deputy Speaker (Lord Haskel) informed the House of the retirement with effect from 1 March of Lord Bamford under section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014

Henry W

Mar 2, 2024, 8:04:15 AMMar 2
to Peerage News
Lord BAMFORD was a Conservative life peer, cr 2013.

sven_me...@web.de

Mar 10, 2024, 1:37:47 AMMar 10
to Peerage News
Still  many left who should have resigned already.
Lord Archer of Weston-Super-Mare: Convicted criminal with rare attendance, last voted 2017 which was the first time in many years, thought about retiring at 80 but didn't do so
Lord Hanningfield: Convicted criminal, thought about retiring at 80 but like Archer didn't do so,  last voted 2015 and on leave of absence since 2022
Lord Black of Crossharbour: Convicted criminal, last voted 2003, officially but not really an active member, has been on leave of absence for many years
Baroness Campbell of Loughborough: Very rare attendance, on leave of absence since 2022, last voted in 2018
Lord Carter of Barnes: Last voted in 2009
Lord Christopher: Took leave of absence presumbly to avoid exclusion and after some time again, at unlikely to return to active service
Baroness Fritchie: Last voted 2016, on leave of absence since 2023
Lord Malloch-Brown: on leave of absence since 2022, last voted in 2019
Lord Owen: Last voted in 2018
Earl of Rosslyn: Last voted in 2007
Baroness Vadera: on leave of absence for a long time

Henry W

May 20, 2024, 4:16:56 PMMay 20
to Peerage News
Hansard of 20 May 2024

The Lord Speaker (Lord McFall of Alcluith)

My Lords, I should like to notify the House of the retirement, with effect from today, of the noble Earl, Lord Sandwich, pursuant to Section 1 of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. On behalf of the House, I thank the noble Earl for his much-valued service to the House.

The 11th Earl of SANDWICH (born 1943) was a Crossbench hereditary peer.  A by-election will be needed in due course.  He gave a valedictory speech on Friday.