ESMONDE, Sir Thomas, 17th Bt. (1960-2021)

dpth...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2021, 7:50:38 AMJul 29
to Peerage News
Dr. Sir Tom Esmonde (Sharman Close, Belfast and formerly of Nutley Avenue, Dublin), died at home on July 24, husband of Pauline and father of Sean, Aisling, Niamh and father-in-law of Rachel and Paddy, brother of Harold, Karen, Lisa, Richard, son-in-law of Vinty, sisters-in-law Carol, Sandra, Maggie, Ellie, Jackie, Joanne, and brothers-in-law Iain, Barney, Declan, Gerry, and Francey. Funeral Service at St. Brigid's Parish, Belfast, at 11am on Friday, July 30, followed by private cremation at Roselawn Crematorium at 8:45am on Saturday, July 31. Funeral Service may be viewed on https://youtube.com/channel/UCECKga_N93kdxngxRJMuvUw

Published on the Irish Times website on 27th July 2021

Laurence Esmond, cr 1622 Lord Esmond, Baron of Limerick [I[, d.26 May 1645; m.by Dec 1628 Lady Elizabeth Gough, née Butler

[by ___ O’Flaherty] Sir Thomas ESMOND, of Clonegall, cr Baronet [I] 1629, fl 1664, d.ca 1665; m.1st 1629 Ellice, Dowager Baroness Caher, née Fitzgerald (d.16 Jan 1645); m.2nd Lady Joane Purcell, née Butler

[ex 1] James, of Ballynastragh; m.Barbara Vincent

Laurence, of Ballynastragh; m.1st Elizabeth Brownrigg; m.2nd Mrs Mary Wyse, née Masterson; m.3rd --- Bagg

[ex 1] Sir James, of Ballynastragh, 7th Bt. (23 Apr 1701-Feb 1766 [two days after predecessor]); m. Ellice White

John, k. during Irish rebellion 13 Jun 1798; m.Helen O'Callan

James (ca 1791-4 Oct 1842); m.16 Sep 1824 Anna Maria Murphy (d.25 Jun 1869)

James (17 Sep 1827-1 Sep 1894); m.20 Oct 1859 Caroline Sugrue (d.7 Sep 1908)

John Joseph (27 Jan 1862-17 Apr 1915); m.1st 7 May 1888 Rose Magennis (d.6 Aug 1901); m.2nd 24 Jul 1904 Eily O’Sullivan (d.Dec 1957)

Sir Anthony Charles, 15th Bt. (18 Jan 1899-1981); m.9 Jun 1927 his cousin Eithne Moira Grattan Esmonde, dau of 11th Bt.

Sir John Henry Grattan, 16th Bt. (28 Jun 1928-1987); m.23 Apr 1957 Pamela Mary Bourke (d.8 Dec 2014)

Sir Thomas Francis Grattan, 17th Bt. (14 Oct 1960-24 Jul 2021); m.26 Apr 1986 Pauline Loretto Kearns

Henry W

Jul 29, 2021, 12:19:07 PMJul 29
to Peerage News
His only son, Sean Patrick ESMONDE, succeeds as 18th Baronet.  It would appear that he is married to Rachel in the notice - this was new to me - not recorded in DB2008, thepeerage, or group notices. No mention of grandchildren of the late baronet in the notice (and it seems quite thorough, so I expect there would have been if there are any), so the new baronet's heir presumptive is his uncle Harold William Grattan E. married with 3 daus, followed by another uncle, unm.

The late Baronet had a number of uncles/aunts living in DB2008 so I did a bit of searching and found the following death not reported here before. Unsure if it has been noted in more recent Debrett's:
Anne Caroline Grattan ESMONDE, dau of the 15th Baronet, born 1940, died 22 Jan 2013 - https://rip.ie/death-notice/anne-esmonde-gorey-wexford/185021
Deeply regretted by her loving sisters Alice & Marion, brothers Anthony & Bartholomew, nieces and nephews.

bx...@yahoo.com

Jul 29, 2021, 6:14:44 PMJul 29
to Peerage News

Henry, a check of DB 2019 shows the new baronet is single.

Brooke

www.maltagenealogy.com

Jul 29, 2021, 7:05:23 PMJul 29
to Peerage News
The new Baronet, Sean Vincent Grattan Esmonde, born 8 Jan 1989.

Henry W

Jul 29, 2021, 7:36:46 PMJul 29
to Peerage News
My apologies - I misdescribed the new Baronet's middle name(s) - no idea where I got it from - maltagenealogy gives the correct name.

Richard R

Jul 30, 2021, 2:38:45 AMJul 30
to Peerage News
Aisling's engagement to Paddy Murphy (interesting her parents use professional rather than honorific titles)

AISLING ESMONDE - PATRICK MURPHY
Dr. Thomas and Mrs Pauline Esmonde are delighted to announce the engagement of their daughter, Aisling, to Patrick Murphy, son of Mr. Kenneth and Mrs Vivian Murphy.
Published on the Irish Times website on 24th May 2019: https://notices.irishtimes.com/engagement/aisling-esmonde/55274948

sarac...@googlemail.com

Jul 30, 2021, 6:04:25 AMJul 30
to Peerage News
Slightly bemused,by the circumstances of the initial Barony title(1632);why hasn't the subsequent Baronets ever tried to successfully claim and revive it?

www.maltagenealogy.com

Jul 30, 2021, 6:40:35 PMJul 30
to Peerage News
It was made very simple, as the Baron did not recognise his children of his "first marriage". So there was no point.