Changed My Markup for PDF's for now I will be using the UDFR PDF mime-type URI

8 views
Skip to first unread message

Peter DeVries

unread,
Apr 27, 2012, 11:38:15 AM4/27/12
to pedant...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pedants,

After reviewing this thread, I changed the way I describe PDF's.

For now I have decided to use the UDFR identifier for the PDF mime-type.

Here are the relevant sections for the Cougar (Puma concolor) RDF representation 


The description of the PDF file.

    <rdfs:label>PDF of the Original Description of Puma concolor (Linnaeus 1771)</rdfs:label>
    <dcterms:isPartOf rdf:resource="http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/v6n7p#Species"/>
    <dcterms:format rdf:resource="http://udfr.org/udfr/u1r109"/>
    <wdrs:describedby rdf:resource="http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/v6n7p.rdf"/>
  </bibo:Document>

Each species should have an original published description. 
In the absence of complete information about these, I create a URI so I can make statements about what I do know about these publications.
The original description for the Cougar is out of copyright and available as a PDF, so I link to it in the RDF section describing the orignal species description
  
    <txn:SpeciesOriginalDescription rdf:about="http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/v6n7p#OriginalDescription">
    <rdfs:label>Original Description of Puma concolor se:v6n7p</rdfs:label>
    <!-- Ideally, this should link to a resource in Citebank -->
    <dcterms:identifier>http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/v6n7p#OriginalDescription</dcterms:identifier>
    <dcterms:description>LOD metadata about the original species description relating to Species Concept Puma concolor se:v6n7p</dcterms:description>
    <dcterms:isPartOf rdf:resource="http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/v6n7p#Species"/>
    <dcterms:creator rdf:resource="http://dbpedia.org/resource/Carl_Linnaeus"/>
    <txn:originalName>Felis concolor Linnaeus 1771</txn:originalName>
    <txn:yearPub rdf:resource="http://dbpedia.org/resource/1771"/>
    <!-- There should be a type specimen. Add link to GBIF via 'txn:sodHasTypeSpecimen' if they know about it. -->
    <wdrs:describedby rdf:resource="http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/v6n7p.rdf"/>
  </txn:SpeciesOriginalDescription>


I hope to have a matching updated RDF dump with the changes in the next few days.

It will have 118,850 species, better linking to related entities and 99% of the matching EoL.org pages.

* There are currently ~280 species that have non-unique EoL ID's because of differences in the EoL, USDA Plants, and eBird data sets.

Thank you for the comments and suggestions,

Respectfully,

-- Pete

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pete DeVries
Department of Entomology
University of Wisconsin - Madison
445 Russell Laboratories
1630 Linden Drive
Madison, WI 53706
Email: pdev...@wisc.edu
TaxonConcept  &  GeoSpecies Knowledge Bases
A Semantic Web, Linked Open Data  Project
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aidan Hogan

unread,
Apr 27, 2012, 11:52:12 AM4/27/12
to pedant...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

Looks good! As per the other thread of emails, my only concern is that
those UDFR identifiers do not (seem to) dereference to RDF. If they
would dereference to RDF -- and without a IANA-endorsed bag of URIs --
this would be a good solution IMO.

Cheers,
Aidan
> Email: pdev...@wisc.edu <mailto:pdev...@wisc.edu>
> TaxonConcept <http://www.taxonconcept.org/> & GeoSpecies
> <http://about.geospecies.org/> Knowledge Bases
> A Semantic Web, Linked Open Data <http://linkeddata.org/> Project
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages