RDF:Alerts not found

Neubert Joachim

Mar 3, 2014, 4:58:06 AM3/3/14
to pedant...@googlegroups.com

Hi everybody,

the URI for the RDF:Alerts service (http://swse.deri.org/RDFAlerts/) gives me a 404.

Does anybody know if it’s still arround somewhere?

Two pages where it is still linked from are https://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/RDF_Alerts  and http://notes.3kbo.com/validators.

Cheers, Joachim

--

Joachim Neubert

ZBW - Deutsche Zentralbibliothek für Wirtschaftswissenschaften

Leibniz-Informationszentrum Wirtschaft

Neuer Jungfernstieg 21
20354 Hamburg

Aidan Hogan

Mar 3, 2014, 9:00:39 AM3/3/14
to pedant...@googlegroups.com, J.Ne...@zbw.eu
Hey Joachim,

I was maintaining the service but unfortunately I've changed jobs and
it's difficult to keep an eye on it or to support it.

For now, I reloaded the service at http://swse.deri.org/RDFAlerts/. But
I cannot promise it will survive there for ever. :/

However, a while back the Sindice team integrated parts of the
RDF:Alerts service into their system. The service they built is still
available at:

http://inspector.sindice.com/

I expect this should be quite stable.

Also, I have a WAR file to deploy the original RDFAlerts service. If
someone were to volunteer a more permanent place to host it, or simply
wanted to run it locally, the WAR is available here:

http://aidanhogan.com/misc/RDFAlerts.war

I believe you can just deploy and run directly in, e.g., Tomcat 5 or newer.

Best,
Aidan
> --
>
> ---

Timothy Lebo

Mar 3, 2014, 9:39:14 AM3/3/14
to pedant...@googlegroups.com, J.Ne...@zbw.eu
Hi, Aidan.

I grabbed the .war and will look into including it on my sites.
Is the source around by chance?

Thanks,
Tim

Aidan Hogan

Mar 3, 2014, 10:01:36 AM3/3/14
to le...@rpi.edu, pedant...@googlegroups.com, J.Ne...@zbw.eu, Aidan Hogan
Hey Tim,

Cool! :)

The code is gathering dust in the following SVN:

http://sw.deri.org/2008/12/alerts/code/

The usual disclaimers about code for research prototypes apply,
particularly since I remember fiddling with parts to help with the
Sindice integration. ;)

On a side note, it would be a really great project for someone to look
into building a more modern validator: e.g., for RDF 1.1, for syntaxes
other than RDF/XML, taking into account OWL 2, etc.

The RDF:Alerts validator was a quick effort to capture the most common
types of errors we were experiencing working with Web data (as discussed
in this group), but I think carrying that idea further with more stable
tools would be of great use to the community.

For example, we had plans for automated validator badges that publishers
could display to bootstrap a minimal quality guarantee for data-sets ...
but this idea (and others) fell by the wayside in the interest of making
space for other projects.

Best,
Aidan

Timothy Lebo

Mar 3, 2014, 10:17:54 AM3/3/14
to pedant...@googlegroups.com, J.Ne...@zbw.eu, Aidan Hogan
Thanks for the pointer to the code, Aidan.

I copied your war to https://github.com/timrdf/DataFAQs/blob/master/lib/RDFAlerts.war
and it’s deployed at a few places:

http://opendap.tw.rpi.edu/RDFAlerts
http://ieeevis.tw.rpi.edu/RDFAlerts
http://lodcloud.tw.rpi.edu/RDFAlerts

Not sure if they work, though :-)

Regards,
Tim

Timothy Lebo

Mar 3, 2014, 1:58:43 PM3/3/14
to Aidan Hogan, pedant...@googlegroups.com, J.Ne...@zbw.eu
no problem.
Another one just slipped out: http://provenanceweb.org/RDFAlerts
:-/

How many back doors did you include in the .war :-)

-Tim

On Mar 3, 2014, at 10:20 AM, Aidan Hogan <aid...@gmail.com> wrote:

Wow that's great Tim! Thanks for the mirrors! :)

Best,
Aidan

Timothy Lebo

Mar 3, 2014, 3:01:56 PM3/3/14
to pedant...@googlegroups.com, J.Ne...@zbw.eu, Aidan Hogan
Aidan,

On Mar 3, 2014, at 10:01 AM, Aidan Hogan <aidan...@deri.org> wrote:

Hey Tim,

Cool! :)

The code is gathering dust in the following SVN:

http://sw.deri.org/2008/12/alerts/code/

Per your off-list permission, I forked the code at:

I hope the following provenance is adequate for you:

Regards,
Tim

Neubert Joachim

Mar 6, 2014, 8:56:19 AM3/6/14
to Aidan Hogan, Timothy Lebo, pedant...@googlegroups.com
Adian, Tim,

That's wonderful - thanks a lot!

After some network reconfigurations on our side, I've checked some URIs from http://zbw.eu/stw with http://opendap.tw.rpi.edu/tomcat/RDFAlerts/, and it worked fine for me.

RDF::Alerts is such a useful tool for reassuring tests like this (and for eliminating previous errors in the first place) - many thanks again!

Cheers, Joachim

Mar 6, 2014, 8:58:45 AM3/6/14
to Neubert Joachim, Aidan Hogan, pedant...@googlegroups.com
Joachim,

On Mar 6, 2014, at 8:56 AM, Neubert Joachim <J.Ne...@zbw.eu> wrote:

> Adian, Tim,
>
> That's wonderful - thanks a lot!
>
> After some network reconfigurations on our side, I've checked some URIs from http://zbw.eu/stw with http://opendap.tw.rpi.edu/tomcat/RDFAlerts/, and it worked fine for me.

Heh. It works (!?) cool!

Was there something on my side that could have helped your network configurations?
I just plopped the .war in without any other changes.

Regards,
Tim