Connecting Herndon metro station & W&OD trail

metak8

Oct 2, 2023, 11:26:18 AM10/2/23
to Pedalers
Herndon Pkway Spring Van Buren streets W and OD.JPGHerndon metro station is close to W&OD trail; my explorations yesterday revealed 3 cut-thru options to/from trail & Herndon Parkway & Spring Street. The furthest east cut thru is natural surface goes to NW Federal Credit Union and is closest to intersection of Spring St. & Herndon Pkway. The middle one is also natural surface, muddier than the furthest east one, and accesses a private park with seating and bike repair station. The furthest west cut thru is paved. This area is dominated by commercial private property; as such, I could not find any bike-friendly ways to get to/from Herndon metro station without traversing multiple parking lots and/or riding on Herndon Pkway & Spring / Van Buren Streets. Walking between the commercial properties is the easiest way to connect them if you have discomfort riding on Herndon Pkway & Spring / Van Buren Streets.

Bruce A. Johnson

Oct 2, 2023, 1:13:03 PM10/2/23
to peda...@googlegroups.com

It's really pretty easy. Go south on Van Buren St. from the W&OD. Turn right at the next traffic light to remain on Van Buren. Follow Van Buren across Herndon Pkwy. and turn left at the intersection with Worldgate Dr. On the northeast corner of the intersection, you will find a multiuse trail threaded between the parking lots that leads to the station. Go around the station to the southeast corner to find bike racks and lockers.

The stretch of Van Buren to the first turn has a sidewalk if you really must ride on one, but as all of the roads are posted at 25 m.p.h., it shouldn't be that daunting. The stretch of Van Buren from that first turn to Herndon Pkwy. has bicycle lanes.

Here is a crude RWGPS cue sheet. I don't have time at the moment to make it better.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44639415

Bruce A. Johnson
Herndon, Virginia
On 02/10/2023 11.26, metak8 wrote:
[...]
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Pedalers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pedalers/d1d4e489-09d1-45b1-9398-c002f9b3e11fn%40googlegroups.com.

metak8

Oct 2, 2023, 4:28:11 PM10/2/23
to Pedalers
Others have suggested heading west on Herndon Pkway from Herndon metro station. My destination was 314 Spring St from Herndon metro station, so heading east on Herndon Pkway was the shortest route since there are direct north-south connecting routes between Herndon Pkway & Spring St. Cutting through [underutilized on weekdays and empty on weekends) commercial properties' vast parking lots with some walking was the shortest route.

Bruce A. Johnson

Oct 2, 2023, 5:16:28 PM10/2/23
to metak8, Potomac Pedalers Discussion List

Hmm. Going west on Herndon Pkwy. to get on the W&OD would seem to me like a poor way to go. The parkway is mostly signed for 35 m.p.h., but I routinely see people doing something like 45-50. The curves are continually changing, which requires serious attention by motorists. While I don't consider the parkway too dangerous to ride (because am either used to traffic and/or an idiot -- take your pick), I don't enjoy it during busy times.

The only place the trail intersects with the parkway is on the east side of town, with loose crushed gravel paths to access the trail. That looks to be about the same distance from the trail as going via Van Buren for access to/from the east. If you're going west, Van Buren is the most direct. There are some back streets that can get you closer to downtown, but I still get lost on them unless I review a map before going that way.

The bike lanes on Van Buren were put in as part of the town's improvements for the new Metrorail station. They are a significant improvement over the previous substandard-width lanes, and I feel less like an annoyance to motorists with them. Ironically, the week they opened, there was a collision between a bicycle and a motor vehicle. I don't know any of the details, but I remember the traffic alert that came from Fairfax County. It's still more pleasant than Herndon Pkwy.

I hope this is of some use.

Bruce A. Johnson
Herndon, Virginia
Herndon-Va.png