Re: [pedalers] Digest for pedalers@googlegroups.com - 6 updates in 2 topics

Stephen Szibler

May 16, 2024, 1:30:28 PMMay 16
to peda...@googlegroups.com
Wow. I’m glad you’re okay (??) and that you reported it the best you could.
Madeira School (eye roll). Pedestrian and Cyclist lives matter just as much as any other and they should be paying attention. I’ve driven a short bus and you pay attention to everyone. The police sound like morons in this particular instance and need training from bike cops or somewhere. Should be in the budget. That should be reported as well. I’m not fond of Madeira and how they and their $$$ and lawyers have prevented hikers and runners from following the Potomac Heritage trail along the river.

Stephen J. Szibler

SAG-AFTRA, MA, BA, BS

On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 12:29 PM <peda...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Doug Scott <doug...@gmail.com>: May 16 07:09AM -0400

Gang,

I took a solid hit from a county school bus Tuesday on Old Bucklodge Rd. and realize there are some lessons to be learned for those of us that use this lightly travelled route and others like it.

I was going Northbound from White Ground towards 117. Going along the fence line towards the first of the two 90-degree curves I saw the bus (a “shorty’) approaching from the opposite direction. I could see most of the bus, the wheels and pavement were obscured by an earth berm.

After entering the turn I discovered the bus (a shorty) fully in my lane to the pavement’s edge. The bus made contact with my left side just past the drivers position. I managed to lean in enough to avoid the berm and stay upright.

Yesterday, I returned and saw a long bus go through. He did the same thing and might actually have a problem negotiating the curve with an oncoming car. From the bus driver’s perspective, they have a good view of oncoming traffic obscured lightly by a 3-board fence. A cyclist should be plainly visible. Drivers simply do not process a bicycle despite bright clothes and lights as they are tuned to threats to themselves and students.

Tuesday, I watched the bus slow and then accelerate off to the South. There is simply no way the sound of my body impacting the side of the bus or my screams were inaudible.

The point is I saw the bus but did not anticipate their taking my lane to negotiate the curve at higher speeds. They appear to do this as a matter of routine, so be extra careful.
"Denise C." <biker...@yahoo.com>: May 16 11:51AM

Report it.   You know roughly the time you were struck.  It shouldn't take the school bus coordinator more than 60 seconds to search the schedule and identify the driver.

On Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 07:09:10 AM EDT, Doug Scott <doug...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Pedalers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pedalers/766E2770-B3D9-4FFC-B966-29DB55206FFE%40gmail.com.
Doug Scott <doug...@gmail.com>: May 16 08:44AM -0400

Thanks

I have and I did sort of reported things. The police came to the scene for my information and when I asked what next they mumbled ultimately saying they would write a report. I left with a solid understanding they thought I was lucky to be alive and a fool for riding bicycles.

I used to drive a school bus as part of summer work in NoVa. Yeah it was the Madeira School, not MoCo but I doubt the rules are that much different or have been relaxed for MoCo. They are mostly common sense once you accept there are children, parents, lawyers and big bureaucracies involved. Cyclists are probably overload.

I wrote the head of the county bus system asking if they had a driver’s report of an incident with a bicycle after 3:35 pm Tuesday. He got back to me with with mumbo jumbo about initiating an enquiry that would take a few days and would I help by providing all my information. I replied saying I would provide it the moment he got back to me with an answer to my first question... Dispatch would have called his Safety Coordinator immediately with a serious event and logged a less serious event on the daily summary sheets for each cluster. The rules are explicit, his needing my information and a couple of days was a stall and I am not in the mood for naked delay tactics.

Bottom line, I have low expectations of any accountability for the driver leaving the scene. Bigger lesson is do not assume anything about oncoming traffic when you can’t see their tires on the pavement.

Doug

I feel like sending the county bus guy a photo of my jersey and suggesting he ask the driver of bus 18432 if it is familiar....

Mariette Vanderzon <mariette....@gmail.com>: May 16 11:30AM -0400

My guess is if you threaten to sue the county school board and the police
for not filing the report, you'll start hearing 'inquiry' reports very
quickly.
Doesn't mean you should or need to, but it will get a call to action
response.
And you might save someone's life.

Kurt Zwally <kzw...@gmail.com>: May 16 11:58AM -0400

Wow, close call. Glad to hear you're OK Doug.

I strongly second Mariette's suggestion. You might save someone else's
life.

I also strongly second your advice, not to assume anything about traffic
coming from either direction. I learned that lesson the hard way.

I like pancakes but I'm glad I didn't become one and I'm glad you didn't
either.

Best, Kurt
(Hit and run survivor, Aug 2014 on MD 108)

On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 11:30 AM Mariette Vanderzon <
metak8 <katesc...@gmail.com>: May 16 07:09AM -0700

Free - old school wireless speedometer, odometer, with 2 transmitters for 2
bikes. Curbside pickup near Vienna metro.[image: wireless on wheel
speedometer odometer.jpg]

Doug Scott

May 16, 2024, 3:57:17 PMMay 16
to Stephen Szibler, Pedalers pedalers@googlegroups_com
Madeira School was a long time ago.  They were desperate for summer drivers and I could squeeze a route in between two other jobs, so I did.

My mom had to teach at a private school because her MA teaching cert was not valid in VA public schools.  She was the last person to met with Jean Harris on that fateful day.

Stephen Szibler

May 18, 2024, 4:37:01 AMMay 18
to Doug Scott, Pedalers pedalers@googlegroups_com
Oh, two separate sentences made me think this happened at the Madeira School - that you were hit in VA - not in MoCo, and drove bus at Madeira. “It” refers to the school bus driving in VA. I thought you were telling someone it didn’t happen in MoCo.