rudder stuffing box packing

George DuBose

Jun 1, 2024, 6:19:18 AMJun 1
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know the size of the packing that goes into the rudder
"stuffing box".

I would like to change the packing and want to buy the packing in inches
rather than millimeters which is all I can find here in Europe.

George/Skylark

--
George DuBose
Wiedstrasse 16

Video interview on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcOxW65Xe10&feature=youtu.be

Personal website:
http://www.george-dubose.com

Galleries:
www.rockpaperphoto.com/george-dubose
http://www.modernrocksgallery.com/george-dubose-photographer
http://www.houseofroulx.com/collections/george-dubose

Short video of Skylark's vacation:
https://vimeo.com/133183259
Password: SkylarkNY

S/V Skylark
Compagnieshaven
Enkhuizen, NL

pau...@perhapscoaching.com

Jun 1, 2024, 10:43:10 AMJun 1
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
HI George

We packed ours with GFO and put 3 rings in. when cutting the 'right size' for the shaft, cut on a diagonal so that there is no butt joint and the ends line up nicely.

https://www.emarineinc.com/categories/GFO-Marine-Shaft-Packing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq0cbqysxeg

it requires only the slightest amount of water coming through to moisten it - a drop every few minutes.

Best to you

Pauleen
Coram Deo
Breezy Point NY

Dan Pfeiffer

Jun 1, 2024, 12:40:50 PMJun 1
to pearso...@googlegroups.com

I have a 1973 10M rudder stuffing box here and it has 1/4" packing near as I can tell.  I think it's a safe bet that P36 used the same box?

1-1/2 rudder post.

Dan Pfeiffer

IMG_20240601_123626.jpg
IMG_20240601_123016.jpg
IMG_20240601_123210.jpg
IMG_20240601_123259.jpg
IMG_20240601_123316.jpg
IMG_20240601_123120.jpg

Laura McCarren

Jun 1, 2024, 2:40:17 PMJun 1
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Nice measurement pictures.  I'm sure this will help.

Laura McCarren
Sur la Mer