Bob is selling his P 36

Guy Johnson

Jul 1, 2024, 1:09:38 PM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
I'm starting a new thread to continue the conversation.
George,

I'm sorry to tell you that I've dropped the price on my P36 to $20,000.  I don't think I've sent you my listing?

Do you mind if I do.

What a deal for someone who understands this model Pearson.

Bob

Robert Franklin

Jul 1, 2024, 3:06:31 PM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Guy.

I'm not a bells and whistles kind of owner. There are specific features and details lacking to wow, but important to me, such as a welded aluminum mast step. I'll spare you and everyone else from getting into such.

I would prefer to focus on what is lacking that seems to have become "must haves" that I personally haven't found that I must have:

Self tailing winches (mine compensate some what with reverse direction Barient winch  handles)

No electronic auto pilot (mine is auxiliary rudder wind vane steering)

Someone who looked at the boat yesterday was perplexed I did not have a Cunningham on board and could not imagine downwind sailing without one. I offered the short boom as an excuse, but he was probably right. However, there is a pad eye at the base of the mast to attach a Cunningham. There are channels on each side of the boom for this.

I have an extensive listing I wrote, with the Pearson line drawings and my photos. I also have the original Pearson brochure, but anyone can track that down online.

If anyone wants the listing email me and I'll send it.

Heartbroken!
Bob Franklin

Robert M. Franklin, Esq.
145 Lagrange Street
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467-3047
617 277 5900 Cell
email:  robertm...@gmail.com

George DuBose

Jul 1, 2024, 4:23:51 PM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to pearso...@googlegroups.com

On 7/1/24 9:09 PM, Robert Franklin wrote:
Thanks, Guy.

I'm not a bells and whistles kind of owner. There are specific features and details lacking to wow, but important to me, such as a welded aluminum mast step. I'll spare you and everyone else from getting into such.
I USED THE SAME CONNECTICUT FABRICATOR THAT BOB USED. 15 YEARS LATER, THE STEP IS IN GREAT CONDITION. I EVEN HAD THE FABRICATOR GIVE "EARS WITH HOLES" TO THE PORT AND STARBOARD SIDES OF THE STEP AND CAN ACTUALLY "PIN" THE MAST TO THE STEP WITH LARGE BOLTS. IN CASE OF A ROLLOVER...LOL

WHILE THERE ARE CERTAINLY SOME COSMETIC IMPROVEMENTS THAT COULD BE DONE ON BOB'S BOAT, IT IS PRETTY MUCH IN ORIGINAL CONDITION AND WELL SUITABLE FOR A MAJOR UPGRADE.

THERE IS ONLY ONE OTHER PEARSON 36 IN EUROPE THAT I KNOW OF. UMA. IF I WAS 20 YEARS YOUNGER, I WOULD DO WHAT DAN AND KIKA ARE DOING AND REBUILDING A P36 THE WAY IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN BUILT TO BEGIN WITH.

HAVING SAID THAT, THE LINES OF THESE P36S ARE SOME OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL OF ALL MODERN SAILBOAT. SKYLARK ATTRACTS A LOT OF ATTENTION OVER HERE BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THE REST OF THE BLEACH BOTTLES IN THE MARINA.

I would prefer to focus on what is lacking that seems to have become "must haves" that I personally haven't found that I must have:

Self tailing winches (mine compensate some what with reverse direction Barient winch  handles)

No electronic auto pilot (mine is auxiliary rudder wind vane steering)

Someone who looked at the boat yesterday was perplexed I did not have a Cunningham on board and could not imagine downwind sailing without one. I offered the short boom as an excuse, but he was probably right. However, there is a pad eye at the base of the mast to attach a Cunningham. There are channels on each side of the boom for this.
BOB, I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOUR BOAT, BUT MY BOOM'S GOOSENECK IS FIXED TO THE MAST AND CAN'T BE MOVED UP OR DOWN ON THE MAST. A CUNNINGHAM WOULDN'T BE OF ANY USE. NOR DO I HAVE A BOOM VANG, I USE DOUBLE MAIN SHEETS AND FEEL THAT CONTROLS MY SAIL SHAPE BETTER THAN A VANG COULD.

I have an extensive listing I wrote, with the Pearson line drawings and my photos. I also have the original Pearson brochure, but anyone can track that down online.

If anyone wants the listing email me and I'll send it.

Heartbroken!
Bob Franklin

AT LEAST I GOT TO SIT ON ARIEL ONCE...SORRY YOU ARE SWALLOWING THE ANCHOR, BOB. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR GRACIOUS HOSPITALITY LAST SUMMER.

GEORGE/SKYLARK

--
George DuBose
Wiedstrasse 16

Video interview on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcOxW65Xe10&feature=youtu.be

Personal website:
http://www.george-dubose.com

Galleries:
www.rockpaperphoto.com/george-dubose
http://www.modernrocksgallery.com/george-dubose-photographer
http://www.houseofroulx.com/collections/george-dubose

Short video of Skylark's vacation:
https://vimeo.com/133183259
Password: SkylarkNY

S/V Skylark
Compagnieshaven
Enkhuizen, NL

Robert Franklin

Jul 1, 2024, 4:57:54 PM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to pearso...@googlegroups.com, Anne Wulsin
George et als,

I did not anticipate that answer about the fixed boom. Mine too. Makes sense, but shows how you can become apologetic as I was a bit embarrassed by a question and I felt I needed to make an excuse. Thanks for that.

Your comment about beautiful lines ... I call them classic IOR lines. It is no coincidence that Running Tide and others like it were Sparkman and Stephens designs and Bill Shaw came out of that studio. As I've said frequently, cut 8 inches or even better a foot off the draft, similarly off the topside (water line to gunnel) and I think you would have not only the perfect lines, but perfect cruising dimensions. I'm 5'8". You're tall. I'm not. You probably need headroom I could miss.

I often looked longingly at the Tartan 34 centerboard model compared to my Pearson 36 as a solution to the deep draft problem, but there must be reasons why people shy away from centerboard models. The person who looked at my boat yesterday expressed concern about running aground in Puerto Rico.  My wife Anne, as you heard when you were here visitin sailed her Condordia yawl for two years in the Bahamas when she lived aboard. Unless the bottom has come up considerably in the last 50 years, she thinks the grounding concern is over-worried.

For anyone new to our group I'll repeat my love at first sight event in 1976 at Avery's dock in Nassau. I had just come off a Pearson 30 my girlfriend and I had chartered with a married couple friends. A P36 was tied up and I was mesmerized and charmed. It took four years to find one here in New England but it was worth the wait. It was love at first sight and I've not wavered since. Just, it's time.

Respectfully, you've heard before I disagree with what Dan and Kika are doing. Strongly disagree. There is a credible theory that the boat should not be absolutely rigid as they believe. I understand the logic of the non-rigidity  theory which my Dad explained to me as a child 70 years ago thus:  Why does the radio antenna flex when you are driving, Dad?

I'll leave it at that for those vastly more knowledgeable than I. Dan?

Bob

Dan Pfeiffer

Jul 1, 2024, 10:29:51 PM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to pearso...@googlegroups.com

I had almost caught up with the Uma story 7 or 8 weeks ago but then our boat went in the water and the sailing has been good.  330 miles daysailing since May 26.  I'll try again to catch up but I have lots of excellent projects coming together and lots of good sailing to do so it may take a while.  I have taken some notes as I have watched the Uma episodes and I look forward to sharing them to see if everyone else whose followed has had similar impressions.

As for the stiffness question, context matters but in general, for a fiberglass boat, flexing causes fatigue.  Fatigue causes delamination.  Delamination caused failure.  This is especially problematic with secondary bonds.  When our boats were built the strength of the laminates were very well understood.  As far back as 1960 this was true.  What wasn't well understood I think was the fatigue life.  I think Uma has given us some insight to that especially as it pertains to the secondary bonded structures that our boats rely on.    Beau and Brandy on a P35 are another good example of reaching those limits?

Dan Pfeiffer

Michael Cyr

Jul 2, 2024, 5:20:45 PM (yesterday) Jul 2
to pearson-boats
Some of the finer points of sail trim are lost on me but isn't the "vang" for "downwind" to help flatten the sail in that situation?  A Cunningham I thought was more of a fancy and more effective downhaul for controlling luff tension and requires a cringle in the main above the tack. No?

Mike in Maine
P33-1

Robert Franklin

Jul 2, 2024, 5:43:01 PM (yesterday) Jul 2
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Michael.

Thanks for that.

You've stimulated my recollection. I believe you are absolutely correct.

Cunningham is vertical. Boom vang is a horizontal angle to the approximate middle of the boom. Both involve an attachment near the base of the mast.

Bob

Peter McGowan

Jul 2, 2024, 8:01:14 PM (yesterday) Jul 2
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
If you have a padeye on the mast below the boom (as you noted you do) and a cringle in the sail above it (per Micheal) then that’s all you need to setup a Cunningham, that you don’t use one or have one aboard is small change and does not change the value of your boat.  Notably tightening the halyard will also tension the luff, but it will also tighten then leach.  The Cunningham will stretch only the luff.  I have never found myself pushing sail trim to the point where that difference was important, but I don’t race or cover long distances, if I was then maybe I’d spend a couple hundred bucks for some blocks and a line then start honing my trim skills.

Jeff Griglack

Jul 2, 2024, 9:19:07 PM (yesterday) Jul 2
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

Absolutely right.  The Cunningham is used to help flatten the sail to depower it, some, by tightening the luff.  Most boats don't bother with it unless you are racing.  I had one on my P30 and found it helpful.  It is not used for downwind sailing.  That's the boom vang.  This guy had no idea what he was talking about.