P31-2 port gaskets

Neal C

May 7, 2022, 8:34:27 AM5/7/22
to pearson-boats
Hi all,

New member, "Dream Catcher" 87 P31-2 located on the Chesapeake at Bodkin Creek between Baltimore and Annapolis. I wish I'd found this group 3 years ago!

We have some leaky opening ports and wondering if someone can help with OEM and P/Ns for the gaskets. I think they're Becksons but not entirely sure. Thanks, Neal

Andrew Milkovits

May 7, 2022, 8:57:04 AM5/7/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Hi Neal -

Welcome.  I also have an ‘87 31-2, kept up in Casco Bay, Maine.

Our opening ports are indeed Beckson 4x10’s.

These are what you need:

They also have replacement screens available, but you can replace them yourself with a little bit of screen material and some time if you’re so inclined.

Andrew

On May 7, 2022, at 8:34 AM, Neal C <neal.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

New member, "Dream Catcher" 87 P31-2 located on the Chesapeake at Bodkin Creek between Baltimore and Annapolis. I wish I'd found this group 3 years ago!

We have some leaky opening ports and wondering if someone can help with OEM and P/Ns for the gaskets. I think they're Becksons but not entirely sure. Thanks, Neal

Jim Keszenheimer

May 7, 2022, 9:01:51 AM5/7/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Welcome Neal,

I just did mine in my P10.  Measure the opening and get the closest dimensions. Here’s the one I used for all 5 of mine:

Use a hair dryer to warm them and a mallet to tap them in. A second person is helpful. It’s a bitch but it works.
Jim

Neal Calanni

May 7, 2022, 9:45:54 AM5/7/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Andrew, appreciate it!

Alptraveler

May 7, 2022, 11:57:39 AM5/7/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Downwind also have the supplies. For the screens I did a diy by cleaning the old screens off of the plastic frame and replied new.screen material on. By doing that it allows for the choice of screen u want. However, to go fine screen for nats,no-seeums,fruit flies also means less wind. If u don't have the frame than your choice is to replace. For the rubber seal, those are.easy to get/replace but we clean ours each season and treat with rubber seal treatment to maintain flexibility.
Attached are the measurements for the bigger windows but the head,vberth and quarter berth are smaller. Once I get home I can look

--
20180901_113417.jpg
20180901_113331.jpg

Neal C

May 7, 2022, 12:50:19 PM5/7/22
to pearson-boats
Thanks as well!
I hadn't thought about replacing screens, but based on your and Andrew's feedback maybe this is a good time to do it.

Neal

Alptraveler

May 7, 2022, 5:25:26 PM5/7/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the typos, I was at the vet waiting for the doc to come in and hurriedly replied. Ooops

Daniel Hoffman

May 7, 2022, 5:26:39 PM5/7/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the hair dryer advice.

I've found them to be a real hassle to get in.

Also, I put fender washers under the dogs, so I tighten against a smooth surface, and have been much happier with them since.

Daniel Hoffman

Pearson 31-2
Middle River

Peter Trunfio

May 7, 2022, 5:29:44 PM5/7/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
I hope the vet gave you a clean bill of health...

PMT

Neal C

May 7, 2022, 6:12:26 PM5/7/22
to pearson-boats
Good suggestions on the hair dryer and the fender washers, tks.

Daniel, my 31-2 came from your neck of the woods - PO was at 1 of the marinas on Frog Mortar Crk in Bowley's. I can't remember which one though, I just remember making the right past Benjies.

Last Resort

May 11, 2022, 8:29:31 PM5/11/22
to pearson-boats
if you have hydro available, I guess a hair dryer works, but if on the water with no hydro, just put the gasket around something (my small tool box did the trick) that stretches the gasket somewhat and leave it in the sun for a bit and it will go in very easy with just one person....worked great for me when I replaced all of them on my 31-2.