P34 a/c Size

matt

Jun 19, 2024, 8:54:59 PMJun 19
to pearson-boats
Looking for air conditioning sizing recommendations for a P34.  This will be a built-in, water cooled unit.

Looking at brands / sizes, it seems like 7000 and 12000 btu units are running about the same price.  This would be an A/C powered unit to cool off the boat a bit at night in the mid-atlantic hot and humid summers.  We use the boat fort occasional overnights but predominantly plan to use the a/c while in the marina as our live aboard weekend home.

Would the 12k BTU unit be overpowered and cycle too infrequently for humid days, or a 7k underpowered to cool both the v-berth and main cabin as we usually sleep 4 aboard on the weekends.

thanks!

Peter McGowan

Jun 19, 2024, 9:05:38 PMJun 19
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Having researched this a bit I've gathered the lower BTU unit will be run more efficiently.  I'm considering an 8k for my P36.  I cannot give feedback on performance as I have not pulled the trigger yet, but that's the unit I've planned.

Michael Weeks

Jun 20, 2024, 5:28:49 AM (14 days ago) Jun 20
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
I’ve got a 15,000 in my P30. Now, I’m in New Orleans, so think 95 degrees every day. My AC can’t keep up, I need a bigger unit-and more insulation.

Not to hijack, but has anyone run spray foam insulation between the deck and the headliner?

Al Taylor

Jun 20, 2024, 8:01:55 AM (14 days ago) Jun 20
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
I have a 10k on my P10M. It can keep up on 90° days fairly well. Enough to do office work for the day.
But this is only on shore power. This particular model won’t run off a 1500 W inverter even with a soft starter installed to damp the start up spike and even though it only draws about 10 amps (1200w at 120v).
Michael, the only thing I’ve done to insulate the boat better is to plug up gaps in the companionway with foam tape or a blanket.

Guy Johnson

Jun 20, 2024, 11:22:55 AM (14 days ago) Jun 20
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
As I've rebuilt some of the cabinetry on our 10M Puffin, I've added 1/2" closed cell foam to the hull before putting the vinyl liner back in place. In the V berth I removed the wood veneer and installed the foam covered in white naugahyde. It looks good, better than expected.

Guy

Sent from Outlook

Jun 20, 2024, 11:30:01 AM (13 days ago) Jun 20
to pearso...@googlegroups.com

Dan Pfeiffer

Jun 20, 2024, 1:10:50 PM (13 days ago) Jun 20
to pearso...@googlegroups.com

How did you deal with the possibility of water getting behind the insulation?

Dan Pfeiffer

Guy Johnson

Jun 20, 2024, 1:28:01 PM (13 days ago) Jun 20
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
100% contact cement. I worked to get complete coverage and a good bond.
Guy

Sent from Outlook

Jun 20, 2024, 1:49:36 PM (13 days ago) Jun 20
to pearso...@googlegroups.com

What closed cell foam did you use?  Did you paint the inside hull surface first?  I have seen where people have done that and it gives better adhesion of the sticky-backed foam (Mas on the youtubes channel Sail Life).

With regard to the AC effectiveness, I would expect a good sunshade would go a long way in lightening the load of the AC while at the dock.  Esecially at high sun and in the far south.

Dan Pfeiffer

Guy Johnson

Jun 20, 2024, 1:58:10 PM (13 days ago) Jun 20
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
I used 1/2" polyethylene closed cell foam. Cleaned and sanded hull, didn't paint.
I have used Zinzer mold resistant bathroom ceiling paint in other parts of the boat and I'm pleased with the adhesion and resistance to mold.
Puffin's interior hull was painted with a beige latex paint probably from the factory when I purchased her at the age of 13. It wasn't a good choice.
Guy

Sent from Outlook

Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2024 1:49 PM

Guy Johnson

Jun 20, 2024, 2:02:36 PM (13 days ago) Jun 20
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
This is the foam I used.

Product
Quantity
Price
Subtotal
1.7LB Polyethylene - 108x48 - 1/2"
PECOLOR:
White
2
$32.99
$65.98
Polyethylene Foam is an inexpensive antistatic foam excellent for packaging material and for cushioning of sensitive electronics. Antistatic Packaging Cushion, Polyethylene Packing Material, Anti Static Poly

Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2024 1:58 PM