P30 opening port above head

mason...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2022, 3:24:19 PM4/27/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,
I’m looking for a opening port for a P30 for the head. The dog ears and the pivot point on the bolt that tensions the windows have died. If I don’t replace it, does anyone have any suggestions on what could be used to repair this aluminum correctly? A welder I spoke to said his machine would melt it so much that it wasn’t worth doing. Another member suggested marinetex but I suspect it wouldn’t be strong enough. Two pics attached.
And the window does need both sides tightened to keep a seal. I already tried just using one side. Thanks!

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Guy Johnson

Apr 27, 2022, 3:26:55 PM4/27/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
try reaching out to Mass Marine parts in Quincy MA, they salvage a lot of boats.

Guy
Puffin 10M #6

Sent from Outlook

Apr 27, 2022, 3:50:07 PM4/27/22
to pearson-boats
I just got through the same problem over the last few seasons. My first response was just to throw a washer on it to get more surface area (looks like you tried that already) - it worked for a season. Then I added some rubber fender washers to help give it a bit more friction to keep the metal washer from sliding off as you tighten it, I think you've lost enough material, that's probably out too. I got through the back half of last season just using a thin bead of thin Lifeseal around the opening. It stayed dry, but isn't pretty, and you won't be able to open it anymore.

This offseason, I just replaced both portlights in the head with Lewmar Size 1RE opening portlights ($230 each). They're slightly larger, so you need to open up the cutouts a touch, but it seems to have worked.
PXL_20220402_150300325.jpgPXL_20220402_154328356.jpg

Jeff Griglack

Apr 27, 2022, 6:42:19 PM4/27/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
A few years ago, I replaced all the small ports on my P30 (previous boat) using New Found Metals Tri-Matrix ports  5x12 size.  This was just a little larger than the originals, but it was great to have cross ventilation in the head and v-berth.  Because the ports are self-sealing and didn't need any type of goop to seal the frames against the cabin, I was able to do the replacement in February in New England.

Unfortunately, the opening port was the only one that people wanted.  I suspect the reason was similar to what you are experiencing.

However, I can recommend the NFM ports.  The website says that they are only $159 each, but I had to cut the opening a little larger, and I made surround rings to make the cabin side thicker. https://newfoundmetals.com/product/trimatrix-portlight/

| Jeff Griglack             "Jabberwocky" P-365 #269
| "Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent"
|                   - Walt Kelly
| 'Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this
| world, Elwood, you must be" – she always called me Elwood –
| "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
| Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.'
|               —James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd

mason...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2022, 9:58:01 PM4/28/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to all who responded.

I like the look of your new matching Lewmar s but I’m not going in the direction of new and sleak not to mention the high price for the window.

The New found metals ones are interesting and I’m glad you mentioned them. The ones you linked to are kind of clunky shaped and I don’t think they’d fit in very well but the price is quite decent especially for SS.

I have reached out to Mass Marine consignments and am waiting to hear back.

I do already own a P36 opening hatch that was given to me by a dear boat neighbor who though I might be able to use it some day. That’s my plan B right now if I can’t find a exact match.

The small one is the p30 the larger is the P36.
Thanks everyone!

image0.jpeg

On Apr 28, 2022, at 1:42 PM, pearso...@googlegroups.com wrote:

mason...@gmail.com: Apr 27 03:23PM -0400

...more
Guy Johnson <guy...@hotmail.com>: Apr 27 07:26PM

try reaching out to Mass Marine parts in Quincy MA, they salvage a lot of boats.

Guy
Puffin 10M #6

________________________________ ...more
"michael....@gmail.com" <michael....@gmail.com>: Apr 27 12:47PM -0700

A just got through the same problem over the last few seasons. My first
response was just to throw a washer on it to get more surface area (looks
like you tried that already) - it worked for a ...more
"michael....@gmail.com" <michael....@gmail.com>: Apr 27 12:50PM -0700

Jeff Griglack <grig...@gmail.com>: Apr 27 06:42PM -0400

A few years ago, I replaced all the small ports on my P30 (previous boat)
using New Found Metals Tri-Matrix ports 5x12 size. This was just a little
larger than the originals, but it was great to ...more

Justin Henderson

May 3, 2022, 8:00:16 AM5/3/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Those lewmars look slick. I had no idea those ports were that price point. If mine didn't seal so nicely now I'd swap em out for those based on looks alone. Those will definitely help the resale value should you choose to sell.