Pearson 10 M throtle connection

Charles Bachmann

May 6, 2024, 7:55:40 PMMay 6
to pearson-boats
How do you replace the  throtle connection  on a Pearson 10 M .
My  10 M  has the steering station  ( not tiller ) .

How do  you gain access to the  throtle  cabe from the binacle  .
Does the compass just come  out  ?

If the compass is out, access to the throtle cable  would be simple

Peter McGowan

May 6, 2024, 8:24:52 PMMay 6
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
On a P36 with an Edson Pedestal you remove the compass, it’s very easy, a few screws is all.  My compass had a 12v wire for night lighting that I didn’t even know about because the bulb was out.  A quick replacement with an LED bulb from Ritchie and now I have a whole new compass after dark.

Jeff Griglack

May 6, 2024, 8:55:34 PMMay 6
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
You can find a lot of information online about how to replace cables in, or generally service, an Edson pedestal. I replaced one for a friend last year using an Edson manual downloaded to my phone.

Removing the compass give you access to the tips of the cables and the shift levers. To replace the cables, there is a cable clamp about a foot farther down, and you remove that by undoing a nut on the aft side of the pedestal at about knee height. That will allow you to pull both of the cables up.

I'm order to replace the cable, I had to get the chain out of the way, and that required loosening the steering cables. I crawled under the cockpit and did that enough to push the chain forward of the gear. This gave enough room to pull the cable clamp up. Threading the new cable up into the pedestal was easy.

It looked more daunting than it really was. There's were no specialized tools needed, and it can be done by a neophyte like me.

Jeff

Dan Pfeiffer

May 6, 2024, 9:40:17 PMMay 6
to pearso...@googlegroups.com

As has been said, access is straight forward under compass.  There were at least two configurations of pedestal controls.   Mine has a lever to port and another to starboard.  Some have a lever on one side or the other and a lever on the back side.  I think that was common with A4 installs?  Not sure.  I attached a photo of the lever control section of the pedestal from my 10M.  I was replacing bushings for the levers so it's on the bench not on the boat.  I can get a pic of the unit in place tomorrow if that's helpful.

Mind that you don't drop the tiny tiny cotter pins that secure the cables to the lever arm.  They are quite wee indeed.  I'd stuff a paper towel under while pulling and replacing them.  Might save you if you drop one.

Dan Pfeiffer
20180901_101133-1.jpg

Jeff Griglack

May 6, 2024, 9:56:55 PMMay 6
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Dan, the one I worked on at my friend's boat had levers port and starboard like yours. On my 365, with a Westerbeke 40, I have the shift level on the back.

Jeff

Peter McGowan

May 6, 2024, 9:59:17 PMMay 6
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
That’s such good advice, I stuffed a towel in to catch those pins.  Also be careful not to undo that lower cable clamp too much, mine dropped off and fell to the bottom of the pedestal!

Dan Pfeiffer

May 11, 2024, 8:18:50 PMMay 11
to pearso...@googlegroups.com

Some photos of the cable to lever attachments in my Edson pedestal with levers on both sides.

Only the port side cable is in use with my electric drive.  Does fwd and Rev.

These are all oriented with fwd side at top.

Dan Pfeiffer

IMG_20240510_184830.jpg
IMG_20240510_184816.jpg
IMG_20240510_184804.jpg
IMG_20240510_184716.jpg

Charles Bachmann

May 13, 2024, 9:58:23 PMMay 13
to pearson-boats
Thanks  Guys  as usual  the best Pearson Boat advice to be found is  right here . Thanks for all who  responded ..
I am thinking that this cabe may be original  . Two seasons  ago   I replaced the  transmissnion  cable and  THAT   was original from
1977   ..  un believable