P26 Masthead sheaves/bearings

Justin Henderson

May 1, 2022, 8:20:31 AM5/1/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm looking for a pair of Masthead sheaves as mine are likely blown out due to the seemingly extreme effort needed to raise the main and jib.

Anyone know a source for these sheaves other than searching through the scrap pile?

Thanks,
Justin

Tim Smith

May 1, 2022, 8:37:02 AM5/1/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Justin.

Good morning.

This (pictured) is the masthead and all sheaves from my salvaged 76 Pearson 30 Merry Rascal (RIP).

 Let me know if compatible with your rig. Sheave diameter, pin diameter, sheave channel may be same for P26, I do not know. Best regards.

Stay well. Tim

Ps
Pearson 30/26 folk I have lots of small and a few large components here. Happy spring....

Tim Smith
http://www.linkedin.com/in/tbsmith/
6175361222
Executive in Residence
SevaLeader
T...@sevaleader.com

Executive Curator
TEDxYouth BeaconStreet
yo...@tedxbeaconstreet.com

Nathan Harper

May 1, 2022, 3:43:13 PM5/1/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Looks like my P323.

May 1, 2022, 7:18:17 PM5/1/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com

There were at least two masts used on the P26 through it's production.  So probably different sheaves for each so best to get some actual measurements of what you have.

If the pins are intact new sheaves are easy enough to fabricate.  Here is a place that does it:
https://www.zephyrwerks.com/

I have made some myself for my boom.  And I put new bronze bushing in the aluminum sheaves on my q0M mast.  Masthead is easier in a way with plain bearings. http://dan.pfeiffer.net/10m/boom_z-spar.htm

I might have gotten some from Zepherworks if I had known of them before making my own.    The OEM sheaves on my P26 (1976 #1205) were aluminum with bronze bushings. I think delrin with bronze bushings would be fine.

Dan Pfeiffer

Dan Pfeiffer

May 2, 2022, 1:13:38 AM5/2/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Here's a Pearson 30 and a Catalina 30 side-by-side. Quite a difference.

Dan Pfeiffer

20220430_172709.jpg

David Walker

May 2, 2022, 7:58:36 AM5/2/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Although I agree that the C30 has about a 1' over the P30 in in beam and 1880lb in displacement,  I think the photo is also exaggerating the difference due to the different distances from the camera.  The P30 is further away and with a shorter focal length lens (wide angle) dimensions can be greatly misleading.

Dave Walker

On Mon, May 2, 2022 at 1:13 AM Dan Pfeiffer <d...@pfeiffer.net> wrote:
Here's a Pearson 30 and a Catalina 30 side-by-side. Quite a difference.

Dan Pfeiffer

Alptraveler

May 2, 2022, 8:02:32 AM5/2/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
So...outa curiosity,  would this puc qualify as "fake news"? Just kidding....

David Walker

May 2, 2022, 8:15:09 AM5/2/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Haha, No, I don't think the numbers from SailboatData.com lie, but there are infinite ways to design a 30 ft sailboat.  Compare the two boats on Sailboat data.  The design ratios are differ, noticeably the SAD and DL.  I would guess that the P30 is faster and I have heard from those that have sailed both that the P30 is much more comfortable in a seaway.  Just have to be careful with pictures (especially from cell phones) as perspective distortion can be significant,

Dave W  P26 1728

Michael Weeks

May 2, 2022, 8:37:51 AM5/2/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking to change my halyards, those are most certainly wire only sheaves, yes?

Bob Maxwell

May 2, 2022, 9:03:51 AM5/2/22
to pearson-boats
A Catalina 30 has a dramatically larger cabin than a P30.  A P30 sails quite a bit faster in most conditions, especially light air. By PHRF ratings, the P30 is 6 seconds/mile faster than a standard Catalina 30 and rates the same as a tall mast Catalina.  My experience suggests the P30 advantage is more than that.

If you want a comfortable cabin and spend a lot of time lounging at dock or mooring, get the Catalina.  If you want to sail, get the P30.

Bob

Tim Smith

May 2, 2022, 9:11:19 AM5/2/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Mike. Hopefullt same thread. Sheaves originally rigged with rope.

If not, excuse my confusion.

Tim Smith
http://www.linkedin.com/in/tbsmith/
6175361222
Executive in Residence
SevaLeader
T...@sevaleader.com

Executive Curator
TEDxYouth BeaconStreet
yo...@tedxbeaconstreet.com

David Walker

May 2, 2022, 9:13:17 AM5/2/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Agreed,  The larger cabin comes from the larger beam as well as a higher shear

Dave

Dan Pfeiffer

May 2, 2022, 9:23:32 AM5/2/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com

I thought about the distortion.  Here's the un-cropped photo.  the P30 was about 8 ft fwd of C30.  I was about 100 ft away. Shot with 2x lens.  I think what you see is pretty representative of the size difference.  Go below on these two and it's even more apparent.

We have 3 C30s in our race group.  All are tall-rig + bow sprit.  They do well in light air.  We don't have a racing P30 but I think they will point better and handle chop better though displacement helps with that too.

Dan Pfeiffer

20220430_172709.jpg

James Keszenheimer

May 2, 2022, 9:46:06 AM5/2/22
to Pearson Owners Group
If I’m not mistaken, that looks like a Tartan 30 to the left of the P30. They’re pretty much the same size.

<20220430_172709.jpg>

David Walker

May 2, 2022, 10:00:43 AM5/2/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Dan, Thanks for the input on the photo.  It wasn't clear from the original post that you took it.  What I notice is the apparent difference in beam in the photos.  There is about 1.3 foot difference according to Sail Data.  It really looks more  than that in the picture.  Maybe due to the focal length perspective and  the aspect angle difference.  TIhe P30 is more of a stern qtr view.   That and  as I said the height of the hull is greater.  FWIW, my buddy's ( who has sailed everything from a SeaSprite 23 to CG Barque Eagle and a lot in between) , parents had a C30.  He said the pounding in  reasonable seaways was horrific and blamed it on the rounded hull cross section.  I had him look at the P26 I bought a few years ago and he warned me as the hulls are at least somewhat similar.  Since he has had the chance to sail my  P26 with me, he has changed his opinion completely  and has recently considered upgrading to a P30 or larger.

Incidentally if you shot the photo with a cell phone, the "2X" really just means that the effective focal length is 2x what they consider "normal".  In the old days of real cameras the "normal" focal length was usually the diagonal  dimension of the film. frame (or sensor)  I don't know what focal length or chip size is normal in cell phones.   For a 35mm frame of 36mm x 24mm that would mean a 43 mm lens would be "normal".  Most cameras come with 50mm lenses which are a little longer than normal, so most of us are used to a little less perspective distortion in photos .  That's why internal photos of cabins always look MUCH larger than they really are.

Dave W

Dan Pfeiffer

May 2, 2022, 11:19:02 AM5/2/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
I think your friend wasn't wrong about the P26.  My P26 pounded a lot more than my 10M.  Any significant chop was a killer upwind. Displacement factors but the hull shapes are different too.   The P30 is finer than both of them.  But displacement reigns again for the 10M in big seas.   On L. Erie we have short steep chop and when it's blowing 18-22 with good fetch for waves the boats under 28 feet are at a much bigger disadvantage from what I have experienced.  There was a P30 at our regatta last summer that did very well in moderate conditions.  It was well sailed with a very experienced crew.   And that is the most meaningful difference.

In the photo it's the distance from the subjects that matters regarding distortion, not the focal length of the lens. A cropped view on a super wide lens will be identical to a telephoto view for a photo of the same subject from the same location.  That's why I backed up as much as I could for that.   My phone lens is something like 4.3mm for what it's worth.  I think the sensor is about 6mm?  And the 2x setting is probably a re-sample not optical. The super wide in my phone is a different lens/sensor.  The 2x setting on my phone is probably about 80mm in 35mm equivalent.  We used to call that a portrait focal length.  Difficult comparison to 35 equivalent but that's what they use. I prefer to think of lenses as magnification factors rather than focal length since comparisons are difficult with all the different sensor sizes.  I have a 9mm lens on my Sony A6400 (APS-C) which is equivalent field of view to the 14MM on my Canon 5D (full frame).    I am amazed at how good the modern phones are especially in bright light and especially for dynamic range. But when you get to things that rely on the optics (like telephoto or zoom) they don't compete with a proper camera - not yet.  For photos of other boats I have a 55-210 zoom on my Sony that is just about perfect.

I can get another photo from the front from several hundred feet that includes the T30 (good catch Jim).    That will be interesting.

Dan Pfeiffer

David Walker

May 2, 2022, 11:37:42 AM5/2/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Dan,

Agree with all that. In my 2nd life I was a photographer(1st was an EE, 3rd is a teacher) and I've shot everything from 1/2 frame 35mm to 4x5 film including DX and full frame digital.  I currently shoot an APS format Fuji .  I think we've beaten this thread bloody.  Different boats are designed for different priorities.  That's what makes picking a boat fun.  We sail Mass Bay out of Marblehead.  Probably longer wavelength swells than the Lakes, maybe a little deeper/higher.

Dave Walker

Jeff Griglack

May 2, 2022, 11:59:03 AM5/2/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Along the same lines, My P365 was parked next to a Catalina 350 all winter.  The boats looked pretty comparable, but the keel was deeper on the 350.  Both boats went in the water Saturday and were on the dock next to each other, and that's when I noticed how much beamier the 350 is than my 365.  Boat boats (despite the number) are about the same length.  I expect the 350 is probably faster than my boat too.  The P365 is not known to be a speed demon.

My understanding of the Catalina 30 is that they come into their own in a good wind when they heel a little.  The shape of the hull, essentially, lengthens the water line to allow the boat to go faster.  In addition, if I remember right, the engine is under a settee that can be removed to get access from all sides.

I loved sailing my P30.  It was really great in light air, and held up well when the wind picked up.  When I bought it, the short list was either a P30 or a C30.  I never regretted my choice, but, despite the length, they are pretty different boats.
| Jeff Griglack             "Jabberwocky" P-365 #269
| "Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent"
|                   - Walt Kelly
| 'Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this
| world, Elwood, you must be" – she always called me Elwood –
| "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
| Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.'
|               —James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd

On Mon, May 2, 2022 at 1:13 AM Dan Pfeiffer <d...@pfeiffer.net> wrote:
Here's a Pearson 30 and a Catalina 30 side-by-side. Quite a difference.

Dan Pfeiffer

Jeff Griglack

May 2, 2022, 12:01:39 PM5/2/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

I have changed the wire-rope halyards to all rope on 2 Pearsons, now, without any modifications to the mast sheaves.  They were designed to handle both wire and rope because the rope part rides on them as well.  If you are concerned, make sure there are no burrs on them and lightly sand down any you find.  I doubt you will find any.

Jeff
| Jeff Griglack             "Jabberwocky" P-365 #269
| "Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent"
|                   - Walt Kelly
| 'Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this
| world, Elwood, you must be" – she always called me Elwood –
| "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
| Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.'
|               —James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd

Michael Weeks

May 2, 2022, 12:12:10 PM5/2/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Thank you. I'm new to this, so have not gone up my mast to check out the situation. I'm in New Orleans, so the boats stay wet year round!

Jeff Griglack

May 2, 2022, 12:44:07 PM5/2/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
I think the main reason why the similar length Catalinas generally look significantly beamier than the same length is that the Catalinas tend to carry that beam all the way to the stern.

| Jeff Griglack             "Jabberwocky" P-365 #269
| "Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent"
|                   - Walt Kelly
| 'Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this
| world, Elwood, you must be" – she always called me Elwood –
| "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
| Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.'
|               —James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd

Peter Ogilvie

May 2, 2022, 2:52:16 PM5/2/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
The wire/rope sheaves are no problem with all roped halyards. Have sailed to Tahiti and Hawaii with rope on those sheaves. Don’t sweat it.

Justin Henderson

May 2, 2022, 6:23:20 PM5/2/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, thank you so much, very informative as always y'all.

I'll take a look at the masthead and get some measurements.

Rhumb Runner is #1635 , circa 1978.

Daniel Hoffman

May 2, 2022, 10:32:23 PM5/2/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the answer about rope hallards working with the old sheaves. That's what I thought.

Daniel Hoffman
Pearson 31-2

On Mon, May 2, 2022, 2:52 PM 'Peter Ogilvie' via pearson-boats <pearso...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
The wire/rope sheaves are no problem with all roped halyards.  Have sailed to Tahiti and Hawaii with rope on those sheaves.  Don’t sweat it.

Justin Henderson

May 3, 2022, 7:56:12 AM5/3/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
10.83/9.50 = 1.14...

If you made our P26 14% beamier, we could have a square dance down there. That's a ton of room.

Catalinas are generally shaped like bath tubs imo. PHRF says they're slower, which from a hydrodynamic standpoint makes sense. There is one boat in our fleet "POLARIS" a Catalina 25 run by a crew of skilled women that beats the pants off the rest of the Gulf of Maine fleet including 2 P26s and numerous other boats. They study in the off-season and are a well oiled machine.