below deck autopilot

George DuBose

Jun 7, 2024, 8:09:53 AMJun 7
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sailors,

I am researching how and what to install for a Raymarine below deck
linear mechanical autopilot on my Pearson 36-1. I will be replacing the
whole ST6002 instrument head and the X-5 course computer

Edson says don't connect the arm of the autopilot to the quadrant. I
will have to fit a tiller arm to the rudder post to accept the autopilot
shaft.

I am looking at Raymarine's Raymarine Autopilot EV-400 SAIL / with p70s
control unit / for type 2+3 drives

Also, in the near future, I want to install a Electromechanical Linear
Drive for Autopilot / Type 2L - Long / 12 V

My question is these linear drives are available in Type 2 short (T2S)
12" or Type 2 long (T2L) 16" throw. Has anyone a below deck system
installed on their Pearson?t

If the rudder is centered, I would think that a 12" throw would have to
push the tiller arm 6" to starboard and then be able to pull the tiller
arm 6" to port.

PS: Boat service/installations in Spain during the summer is an
oxymoron. Won't happen unless I DIY.

George/Skylark

--
George DuBose
Wiedstrasse 16

Video interview on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcOxW65Xe10&feature=youtu.be

Personal website:
http://www.george-dubose.com

Galleries:
www.rockpaperphoto.com/george-dubose
http://www.modernrocksgallery.com/george-dubose-photographer
http://www.houseofroulx.com/collections/george-dubose

Short video of Skylark's vacation:
https://vimeo.com/133183259
Password: SkylarkNY

S/V Skylark
Compagnieshaven
Enkhuizen, NL

Peter McGowan

Jun 7, 2024, 10:43:47 AMJun 7
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Hi George,

Here's what I'm using -

Peter

James Keszenheimer

Jun 7, 2024, 10:47:10 AMJun 7
to Pearson Owners Group
Hi George,
My 1975 10m came with a Cetrek Hydraulic Linear Autopilot that I had to refit with a Raymarine controller (EV-150) since the old one died. I kept the pump and arm as is, which works ok for now. I do need to add a new rudder reference since the old one isn’t within Raymarine’s specs, so I’m operating open loop right now. Installing that is another story as I can’t easily get otthe quadrant. How does anyone? Anyways, my linear arm does mount to the quadrant and I don’t see any issues with it. Perhaps Edson just doesn’t want the liability in case there’s stress on it that they cannot account for?

Yes, I agree about the throw. You will need to set the controller for the limits which are determined manually, otherwise you will jam things up. I think the electromechanical is easier to implement than hydraulic but may consume a bit more electric - that’s the tradeoff. I think my pump draws an amp under operation, so consumption will depend on sea state and trim.

Best of luck on that install!
Jim
Outlet, P10m

Dave Cole

Jun 7, 2024, 11:32:43 AMJun 7
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Seems like a split type coupling to the shaft would make installation a lot easier?

Did you have to drop the rudder to install that?

Dave
10M #26

Peter McGowan

Jun 7, 2024, 3:03:21 PMJun 7
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Nope, it just dropped right on and a quick tightening.  Some math was required to figure out the distance to drill for the autopilot pin (which I did before installing).

Last Resort

Jun 7, 2024, 3:40:19 PMJun 7
to pearson-boats
not sure why Edson says not to connect directly to the quadrant.  My steering is all Edson, and I just connected directly to it with my Garmin control arm as seen below. Took a bit of tinkering to get it just right with no play, but it's been flawless for the last 10 years (which BTW, Garmin says to replace the cable every 2 years...YEAH, RIGHT!  I bought a spare just in case, but cable is still in perfect condition!).
SSPX0129.jpg

Dave Cole

Jun 7, 2024, 4:35:16 PMJun 7
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Good to know.
So is your pilot ram mounted perpendicular to the keel/length of the boat?   Or close?   It looks like the key is forward.

I need to do this as well.  I have most of the parts for a hydraulic setup.  Im missing a bypass valve and some hose and fittings.

I have an old wheel pilot, but its pretty much an antique now.

Dave
10M

George DuBose

Jun 7, 2024, 4:37:55 PMJun 7
to pearso...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the tip about the Buck-Algonquin tiller arm. Half the price of Edson's.

The rudder does not need to be dropped. I wouldn't want to even think about removing the rudder shoe...

George/Skylark

Peter McGowan

Jun 7, 2024, 11:24:04 PMJun 7
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
I’m not sure on the question but when rudder is neutral that arm is centered.  The hydraulic is coming from the port side.  I glassed in a platform for it.  I hope this answers your question.

Last Resort

Jun 8, 2024, 12:09:19 AMJun 8
to pearson-boats
Dave C.   if you were asking me, it runs parallel with the keel/length of the boat.  I mounted the motor on the cockpit locker side of the aft cabin, and the curled the control wire and arm back (see below) to the stern up on the inside wall of the aft cabin in my 31-2.  Very compact install.
SSPX0126.jpg

Dave Cole

Jun 8, 2024, 1:45:31 PMJun 8
to pearso...@googlegroups.com