Repowering a 365

Andrew Boyle

May 31, 2022, 9:36:33 PM5/31/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Does anybody have any experience repowering a 365 with any other diesel besides the Westerbeke 40 that they were built with? The original motor is blown and we've been having a hard time getting it rebuilt or finding a replacement.

Thanks!

Andrew

Dan Pfeiffer

May 31, 2022, 11:02:58 PM5/31/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com

I have no experience with the 365 but one advantage in repowering it is the remote V-drive (assuming it is in serviceable condition).   It means a simpler installation of the engine itself since you don't need to fiddle as much with alignment issues.  You still may meed new beds but it's all simplified with the remote v-drive.  But you will need a transmission/reverse gear that is geared to get the desired prop RPM with the reduction ratio in the v-drive which I think is 2:1.  It is a Walter RV10 and the ratio should be stamped on a tag on the side if the unit.  I believe the 365 has a Velvet Drive trans/reverse gear?  Does it have any reduction?

I would look at Beta.  When I was exploring repowering 2 seasons ago the Beta priced better than Yanmar and it is a simpler engine with all mechanical systems which I prefer.  Simple stupid engine.  No computers.   Maybe this one:
https://betamarineusa.com/portfolio/beta-38/

But be sitting down when you open the price quote...

If you do get a new motor talk to the dealer about the mounts.   You can use soft mounts because the remote v-drive is the thrust bearing for the system.

Dan Pfeiffer

Dan Pfeiffer

May 31, 2022, 11:07:11 PM5/31/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com

Meant to include this drawing...

SV Wind Sloth

Jun 1, 2022, 12:21:02 AM6/1/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
My Westerbeke quit on me on March. Ordered a new Beta 35 which due to supply chain issues will only come end July or August. Is slots right in place of the original motor. I looked at Yanmar but it required substantial work to place it including the movement of Stringers.

As with the Beta it also has supply issues and I could get a new Yanmar, but it requires a different gearbox. That was only available in Jan 23.

No we wait.  Estimate for w hole job is about $30k, including new diesel tank, instrument panel and wiring. Engine alone was $16k.

Regards

Kobus Meyer

Mobile: 720 382 3507

Pearson 365 - “Wind Sloth”

0.12 kts  Maximum, when threatened

Home Port - Kemah Tx

On May 31, 2022, at 10:07 PM, Dan Pfeiffer <d...@pfeiffer.net> wrote:

Meant to include this drawing...

54a64232.gif

Jeff Griglack

Jun 1, 2022, 12:33:18 AM6/1/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
I'm kind of surprised that I never saw the original post for this subject.

Many people have repowered the P365.  One of the more common engines to put in place is the BetaMarine 35.  Yanmers have also been used, but Beta will rearrange things so you can actually access things for yearly maintenance.  You can find details with pictures on http://www.pearson365.com.  It is not nearly as active as this mailing list, but there are over a decade's worth of posts you can search.

Here is one thread, but there are several other threads about repowering:

Personally, my W40 (Perkins 4-108) is running well, right now, but I have thought about what it would take to repower.  One thought I have had was to install an electric motor in the bilge, where the v-drive is.  It would be a tight fit, but it might be doable.  Then install a smaller genset in the engine bay and let you run a hybrid system where you can run off battery for short trips and use the genset to charge the batteries for longer trips.

Jeff
| Jeff Griglack             "Jabberwocky" P-365 #269
| "Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent"
|                   - Walt Kelly
| 'Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this
| world, Elwood, you must be" – she always called me Elwood –
| "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
| Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.'
|               —James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd

Andrew Boyle

Jun 2, 2022, 10:41:31 AM6/2/22
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
This is all great info - thanks so much!

Andrew