meetups at Occupy Portland discussion

1 view

kotra

Oct 24, 2011, 2:52:06 PM10/24/11
to PortlandWikiWednesday, Julie Spellman, in...@spellmanux.com
Hi all, there has been more discussion about meetup venues lately,
that I wanted to bring here to the PDXWW mailing list for more open
discussion.

The discussion involves whether or not it is a good idea to have
either Monday Meets, WikiWednesdays, or both at the Occupy Portland
camp (Lownsdale Square, in the Workshop Tent or Yurt, near the Occupy
Portland Library).

Those in favor of meeting at Occupy Portland have thus far argued that
Occupy Portland's ideals, structure, and volunteer, open
collaboration, and knowledge-sharing sensibilities match with
PortlandWiki and wiki culture in general, and that meeting at Occupy
Portland has a great potential for cross-pollination.

However, some have concerns that meeting at the Occupy Portland
encampment risks alienating people who might not agree with the
philosophy or actions associated with Occupy Portland; and that
PortlandWiki should be neutral and uninvolved regarding Occupy
Portland.

Apologies if I've misrepresented anyone's views, please correct me if
I have.

The fallback venue would likely be The Mezz at Whole Foods (NW 12th &
Burnside).

What are people's thoughts?

kotra

Julie Spellman

Oct 24, 2011, 2:59:18 PM10/24/11
to kotra, PortlandWikiWednesday, in...@spellmanux.com
Kotra,

While I generally agree with Occupy Portland's goals and ideals, I think it's good to have a separation between the two. To me, PortlandWiki is a separate project and adventure than Occupy Portland.

How about Mondays at the Occupy camp and Wednesdays at The Mezz. I think that would allow PortlandWiki reach out to everyone.

Just my 2¢,
Julie

in...@spellmanux.com

Oct 24, 2011, 2:58:49 PM10/24/11
to kotra, PortlandWikiWednesday, Julie Spellman

Julie and I won't attend if its at the Occupy Camp. Interpret it as you may.

Matthew Spellman
tel 503 803-2614
Portland, OR 97209

Sam Churchill

Oct 24, 2011, 4:24:29 PM10/24/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com, kotra, in...@spellmanux.com
I also like Julie's approach (although I haven't been much of a contributor recently).
- Sam
-----

--
http://PDX.Wiki.org

Sam Churchill
(www.dailywireless.org)

Teresa Boze

Oct 24, 2011, 4:27:34 PM10/24/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com, kotra, Julie Spellman
I have no preference, but you should consider that the GA starts at 7 p.m. so that those at camp are  likely to be focused on that for several hours each evening.

Best,

Teresa

Concept | Connections, NW

503. 664.4896 twitter: @PDXsays

http://www.linkedin.com/in/teresaboze

"Hacker: Any person who derives joy from discovering ways to circumvent limitations." Robert Bickford

Kotra D

Oct 24, 2011, 4:40:13 PM10/24/11
to Teresa Boze, pdx...@googlegroups.com, Julie Spellman
that's a good point, Teresa. If we do have Monday Meets at Occupy Portland, maybe we could move them up to 5:30 or 6. They would still overlap, but not as much.

kotra

Kotra D

Oct 24, 2011, 8:02:58 PM10/24/11
to Teresa Boze, pdx...@googlegroups.com, Julie Spellman, in...@spellmanux.com
Since the time for today's meeting is coming right up, I think Julie's idea is a good compromise and it sounds like it has some support (from me as well, in full disclosure). So unless anyone has any objections, I suggest today's meetup be at Occupy Portland (and Wednesday's meetup at The Mezz as usual). I don't really care to make decisions for the group so if anyone has a more equitable plan by all means let us know ASAP... without any more feedback though I felt it necessary for someone to put forward a concrete plan for today.

Monday Meet
6:00pm, 10/24/2011
the Workshop Tent or Yurt, near the Occupy Portland Library, in Lownsdale Square (SW 3rd/4th & SW Main/Salmon).

WikiWednesday
6:30pm, 10/26/2011
The Mezz in Whole Foods, NW 12th & Burnside

kotra

Teresa Boze

Oct 24, 2011, 8:14:15 PM10/24/11
to Kotra D, pdx...@googlegroups.com, Julie Spellman, in...@spellmanux.com
Hey> it's on the schedule board at the Occuoy<

I'd have to say we crossed the line hours ago.

Someone go do this at the Occupation!

Kotra D

Oct 24, 2011, 9:49:32 PM10/24/11
to Teresa Boze, pdx...@googlegroups.com, Julie Spellman, in...@spellmanux.com
Yes, it looks like one of us scheduled it in advance (not me). It can always be cancelled though, as we may cancel it for Wednesday. For the moment though, I'm here in the workshop yurt beside the library, and Dave will be joining shortly.

kotra