Memorial Day Wiki Week: Monday Meet - May 30th & WikiWednesday - June 1st.

1 view

Dave Myers

May 30, 2011, 11:15:12 AM5/30/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everybody!

Come join us for this week's Monday Meet and Wiki Wednesday, each evening at 6:30-9:00pm!

Discussion this evening (Monday): Using wikis to organize trade unions.

We're meeting at the MEZZ both nights until we can find a more stable close-in eastside location.

Monday | Today, Memorial Day | May 30th, 2011:
6:30pm - 9pm
The Mezz, NW 12th & Burnside

Wednesday | June 1st, 2011:
6:30pm - 9pm
The Mezz, NW 12th & Burnside

Hope to see you there!

-dave myers

Sam Churchill

May 30, 2011, 2:12:18 PM5/30/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
I guess I should have this discussion on Talk, but does anyone know if
I can embed Flickr or YouTube videos on Portland Wiki?

http://www.mediawikiwidgets.org/Widgets_Catalog

I'd really like to do this for a series on the Port of Portland and Streetcar.

- For the Port tour, I want to have a story on each Terminal and
related businesses, each with an embedded video.

- For the streetcar tour, I want to embed one slide show, or Flickr
video, each 90 seconds long. This virtual tour would indexed by cross
streets, starting at the library, each one train stop long. A mobile
version would be formatted for smartphones.

- Geotagging. Each business or story along the line would be geotagged
for possible incorporation into augmented reality browsers or for
localized social media.

Is there a convenient way to embed geotags into a sentence or a paragraph?

- Sam

Sam Churchill
(www.dailywireless.org)

kotra

May 31, 2011, 12:41:12 AM5/31/11
to PortlandWikiWednesday
Yes Sam, it is possible to easily embed Flickr and Youtube videos with
the new semantic mediawiki widgets. We just don't know how exactly.
Dave wants to figure it out and get back to you. But we all know Dave
is a flake so if you want a real answer before the world ends in
October, let me know and I'll give it a shot.

Also, if anyone is interested, Matthew is giving a presentation at 7pm
on Tuesday at Coffee Time, showing his wireframes for a new
PortlandWiki interface. This project has been a source of ongoing
discussion at the weekly meetings, and we are beginning to finalize
the plan for rolling out an improved PortlandWiki interface. It will
be more structured than the casual, freeform discussions we have at
Monday Meets and Wiki Wednesdays.

kotra