Calling All Wiki Geeks - Occupy Portland Discovers PortlandWiki.org!

1 view

Dave Myers

Oct 3, 2011, 4:24:24 PM10/3/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

Occupy Portland (http://occupyportland.org/) is a grassroots movement aligned with the Occupy Wall Street movement in New York City. The Occupy Wall Street protest began in mid-September, and Occupy Portland plans to launch their’s this Thursday (October 6th) at Waterfront Park. Similar protests are springing up all over the country, and all over the globe.

Since Friday, a number of Occupy Portland’s organizers have relied on PortlandWiki to collaborate, craft messages and disseminate information. This is EXACTLY what community wikis are for!

What does this mean to you? PortlandWiki administrators urgently request your help. With a lot of newbies flooding into PortlandWiki, we need help with monitoring wiki use, template creation, “hand-holding” new users, improving PortlandWiki’s user interface, etc.

We have a unique, once in a lifetime chance to demonstrate all of the great strengths wikis offer for collaborative knowledge building, and with connecting people in the community. Let’s don’t miss this opportunity!

Can you help? If so, please connect with us at either or both of our two wiki meetups this week, on Monday and Wednesday. Each meetup begins at 6:30 p.m.

Both meetups happen at the MEZZ Coffee Shop on NW 12th Ave & West Burnside (on the upstairs mezzanine inside the Whole Foods Market). You can also drop us a line at PortlandWiki -AT- Gmail.com.

Thanks!

-dave myers

Dave Myers

Oct 3, 2011, 4:25:30 PM10/3/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the double post. The browser I was using misinformed me that the first post didn't succeed. -dave myers

Michael Andersen

Oct 3, 2011, 5:25:51 PM10/3/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
Very exciting indeed! I'll be there to see if I can help.
Michael

--
http://PDX.Wiki.org

Teresa Boze

Oct 3, 2011, 6:36:04 PM10/3/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com, Alex Linsker
As much as I would like to help, I am unable to participate at this venue as one inaccessible.

Have you looked into CollectiveAgency as a potential?

"The main loft is open for free Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm.* Come and work here!

It is open for free to volunteer workgroups, workshops and discussions of up to 45 people on evenings and all day on weekends.

We are committed to having open access. Why? Everyone benefits.

"

I copy in Alex, Community organizer. Coordinating Council member,  to facilitate the community in the potential.

Best,

Teresa

Concept | Connections, NW

503. 664.4896 twitter: @PDXsays

http://www.linkedin.com/in/teresaboze

"Hacker: Any person who derives joy from discovering ways to circumvent limitations." Robert Bickford

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Dave Myers <openc...@gmail.com> wrote:

Mark Dilley

Oct 3, 2011, 7:20:30 PM10/3/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com, Alex Linsker
Wonderful idea for us to check out.  Alex are you around tonight, or should someone stop in tomorrow during the day?

Best, Mark

Alex Linsker

Oct 4, 2011, 1:16:54 PM10/4/11
to Mark Dilley, pdx...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

Individuals can come by to visit and work at "Collective Agency" 9 to 5, Monday-Friday, within the terms of service (links below). The "Community Guidelines" and "Volunteer or Paid" pages are important:
Alex
--
Alex Linsker, "Collective Agency" Coordinating Council member
(503) 517-6900 landline  (503) 517-6901 fax  (503) 369-9174 mobile

Mark Dilley

Oct 4, 2011, 2:12:59 PM10/4/11
to Alex Linsker, pdx...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

What Teresa suggested was that Collective Agency was a place for wiki folks to have gatherings at in the evenings.   Is that a possibility?

Best, Mark

Alex Linsker

Oct 4, 2011, 2:28:38 PM10/4/11
to Mark Dilley, pdx...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

"Collective Agency" is a place for any folks doing work as per the terms of service to have volunteer or paid meetings in the evenings, depending on whether the groups and their work matches the criteria.

We do not have availability this coming Wednesday.

If you're interested in group meetings for the future, we could talk and see how meeting here would work. I'd recommend coming and working here as an individual, to see what "Collective Agency" is.

Alex