I'll provide [ebook] copies of Chris Pine's "Learn to Program" for attendees

1 view

Sam Livingston-Gray

Aug 12, 2011, 6:56:32 PM8/12/11
to pdxtechw...@googlegroups.com
I've used the 40% off promo deal that expires today to buy 20 copies
of the ebook.  (I've got a good job, and since I'm severely
time-constrained, especially on this particular weekend, I'm happy to
contribute to the take-home packet.)

According to one of the kind people behind <sup...@pragprog.com>:
> If you are doing this on a regular basis, we can do a regular 40% discount for you.
> You would just contact me to pop a coupon into your account that you can use.
> 40% off drops the price to $9.90 per eBook plus applicable taxes (if in NC or TX)

So, if we (a) feel that providing this book is a valuable thing to
continue doing, and (b) want to line up sponsors to fund it, that's
worth keeping in mind for future workshops.

A few words about logistics: The books themselves are paid for.
After the workshop, we need to get the Prags a set of names and email
addresses to use to generate personalized copies of the PDFs. They'll
run those through their processing queue, and email the participants
download links that are good for at least 24 hours. We can print out
a card explaining this, and someone should cover it verbally as well.

This process probably means that not everyone who goes to the workshop
will take action afterward to get a copy of the book. (Actually,
since it sounds like there are at least a few people with dev
experience who are just new to Ruby, probably not everyone in the
workshop will actually want a copy.) However it plays out, I'm happy
to give unclaimed copies to anyone who asks -- I just want the books
to go to people who will read and enjoy them.

For those of you who haven't seen the book, here's a link:
http://pragprog.com/book/ltp2/learn-to-program

-Sam

Addie Beseda

Aug 12, 2011, 10:53:00 PM8/12/11
to pdxtechw...@googlegroups.com
Sam, this is great.  Thank you!

I might talk to Gilt about helping out in some sort of sponsoring capacity in the future, especially since I can see myself being continually involved in these (although I have to wait to hear back from HR about Grace Hopper first... one thing at a time).  One thing we might want to do is incorporate these into post-workshop feedback - see if participants find value in the additional take-home goodies we're giving them (the book and the CodeSchool vouchers.)