[pdxruby] Crystal (Ruby) Tuesday w/ Kirk Haines!

Jonan Scheffler

Jul 7, 2020, 7:58:46 PM7/7/20
to Portland Ruby Brigade
It's time once again for our virtual meetuppening!

This month we're going to be hearing from Kirk Haines about the Crystal programming language (https://crystal-lang.org/) in a talk titled "Crystal for Rubyists".

In Kirk's own words:
"Crystal is a compiled, statically typed language with type inference, and a syntax that is highly reminiscent of Ruby's. While compatibility with Ruby is not a language goal, a remarkable amount of Ruby code can be compiled by Crystal and can run as expected with few changes. Crystal features CSP style concurrency that is very similar to that of Golang, and a central event loop for managing IO efficiently. Crystal is built on top of LLVM, and compiled Crystal code executes very quickly -- generally faster than Golang while utilizing fewer resources. However, because of it's Ruby-like syntax, it is a pleasant language for the programmer, and Rubyists can become productive with it quite quickly."

VIDEO LINK: https://jitsi.thejonanshow.com/pdxruby

Meeting starts at 6pm PDT with a social hour and then Kirk's presentation followed by questions and additional socializing. Bonus hour may or may not include an impromptu karaoke session depending on how much scotch I consume.

See you soon!

❤️

Sam Livingston-Gray

Jul 7, 2020, 8:39:21 PM7/7/20
to Jonan Scheffler, Portland Ruby Brigade
On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 4:58 PM Jonan Scheffler <jonansc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Bonus hour may or may not include an impromptu karaoke session depending on how much scotch I consume.

I'm scared... ;P