Unknown ruby interpreter version

Gary Aitken

Jan 17, 2021, 2:18:59 AM1/17/21
to pdxruby-beginners
Hello all, new to the group, new-ish to ruby.  I'm actually out in MT but working for a co. down in Corvallis; hope it's ok to look for help here, as I've looked a lot of places with zero success.
I have 2.6.6p146 installed via rvm on a ubuntu 18.04 system.  Running redmine with some annoyances, of which this is a big one:
Whenever I cd to a ruby directory with a Gemfile similar to the redmine one, I get the message:
Unknown ruby interpreter version (do not know how to handle): >=2.3.0,<2.7.0ifBundler::VERSION>=1.12.0.
The following Gemfile will produce that result:

source 'https://rubygems.org'

#ruby '>= 2.3.0'
ruby '>= 2.3.0', '< 2.7.0' if Bundler::VERSION >= '1.12.0'

Can anyone tell me how to fix this?  It's particularly annoying because the redmine cron jobs we have to update mail get the message and post every time it goes off.

Is this a bug with ruby 2.6.6 (I couldn't find one) and I need to upgrade to 2.7?  It's so glaring I'm reluctant to file a bug; seems like it must be something simple.

Thanks for any clues,

Gary

Matthew Boeh

Jan 17, 2021, 3:34:35 AM1/17/21
to pdxruby-...@googlegroups.com
It looks like this is an issue with RVM, which tries to read the
Gemfile to determine which version of Ruby to switch to. It's limited
in what it can parse. I believe if you put a .ruby-version or .rvmrc
in that directory it will ignore the Gemfile.

https://rvm.io/workflow/projects

Gary Aitken

Jan 23, 2021, 1:24:45 PM1/23/21
to pdxruby-beginners