SNOBOL

Matt Youell

Nov 13, 2011, 10:34:25 PM11/13/11
to Zissou Society for Programming Language Exploration
Does anyone know someone familiar with SNOBOL who would be willing and
able to give an interesting talk about it?

Charlie Loyd

Nov 13, 2011, 10:50:01 PM11/13/11
On Nov 13, 7:34 pm, Matt Youell <m...@newmoniclabs.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know someone familiar with SNOBOL who would be willing and
> able to give an interesting talk about it?

I am not, but I would like to strongly second the request. SNOBOL/
SPITBOL seems like a fertile branch of the programming tree that never
got the exploration it deserved. Or perhaps its ideas were merged into
perl and Haskell -- I don't know; I'd have to hear a talk on it.

A math professor of my acquaintance once remarked to me:

> I did attempt a SNOBOL compiler once. This was in the last year
> of high school and I was looking (in the complete absence of any
> direction or advice or even a decent library) for a good project.
> The SNOBOL book must have turned up in a local bookshop. The
> compiler was written in MACRO-11 assembler for the PDP 11/10. It
> was pretty long as I recall. I got all the basics working and the
> string data type, but I never did all the fancy pattern-matching
> and high-level features. The biggest program I wrote in the
> compiler itself was one to play cribbage. That was interesting in
> itself. Based on which 5 cards the computer held, it scored each
> possible choice of discards and computed all the probabilities
> and it used to routinely get double my score. Everyone thought it
> was cheating!

Those were the days, I guess.

Matt Youell

Nov 14, 2011, 3:22:18 AM11/14/11
On Nov 13, 7:50 pm, Charlie Loyd <cel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not, but I would like to strongly second the request. SNOBOL/
> SPITBOL seems like a fertile branch of the programming tree that never
> got the exploration it deserved. Or perhaps its ideas were merged into
> perl and Haskell -- I don't know; I'd have to hear a talk on it.

Ditto. And as you noted, sounds like a challenge to compile. I'll keep
an ear to the ground.

Matt Youell

Nov 14, 2011, 3:23:19 AM11/14/11
On Nov 14, 12:22 am, Matt Youell <m...@newmoniclabs.com> wrote:
> Ditto. And as you noted, sounds like a challenge to compile. I'll keep
> an ear to the ground.

Er... challenge to build a compiler *for*.

That's what I get for posting late at night.

Mahmud Mohamed

Nov 14, 2011, 3:29:24 AM11/14/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com

Icon is billed by its creators as a modern snobol.

Matt Youell

Nov 14, 2011, 6:23:04 PM11/14/11
On Nov 14, 12:29 am, Mahmud Mohamed <bigthing...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Icon is billed by its creators as a modern snobol.

Icon is another language I'd like to see presented on. I didn't know
about the SNOBOL connection.

Brian Rice

Nov 14, 2011, 6:30:51 PM11/14/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
Icon is definitely the most suitable placeholder for discussion about SNOBOL, and has a lot of available information. Someone could learn about it over the course of a few days and present effectively. No, I won't be in PDX until the weekend of December 3, before you ask. ;-)
--
-Brian T. Rice

Matt Youell

Nov 14, 2011, 7:07:18 PM11/14/11
On Nov 14, 3:30 pm, Brian Rice <briantr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Icon is definitely the most suitable placeholder for discussion about
> SNOBOL, and has a lot of available information. Someone could learn about
> it over the course of a few days and present effectively. No, I won't be in
> PDX until the weekend of December 3, before you ask. ;-)

First meeting is likely to be in February... Plenty of time. :)

Brian Rice

Nov 14, 2011, 7:22:24 PM11/14/11
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
Oh, that's easier, then. I skimmed through the Icon manual and implemented >:= and <:= (comparison-conditional assignment) handily in Slate. Granted, the macro-expansion performs double-evaluation of the terms, but... :-)

FWIW, Icon generators have become relatively widely distributed, although perhaps not the feel of the programming style they engendered originally, compared to Python generators or the like.
--
-Brian T. Rice

Bart Massey

Feb 16, 2012, 3:30:00 AM2/16/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
Local genius Mike Haertel knew Icon pretty well at one point in his life. I could ask him to talk about it if folks like.

Icon (as everyone may know) is actually a deliberate successor to SNOBOL from a project by Ralph Griswold, one of the SNOBOL creators. Unicon is the successor to Icon that gets the most attention these days. I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall that for a long time there were distribution restrictions on Griswold's Icon implementation?

Matt Youell

Feb 16, 2012, 5:59:39 PM2/16/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
Bart,

That sounds great. Can you pull him into the list?

Matt