Re: spam

Igal Koshevoy

Oct 5, 2012, 1:54:23 PM10/5/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
PS: I sent the message regarding message moderation to the entire list
in case other people are interested in adding moderation to their
Google Groups.
PPS: I find it fascinating that Google increased the complexity of
their Groups management UI by a magnitude, while simultaneously
removing tons of useful functionality from Groups that I and others
actually relied on. Sigh.

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Igal Koshevoy <ig...@pragmaticraft.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Matt Youell <ma...@newmoniclabs.com> wrote:
>> Sorry this got through. I've banned the sender. If I can figure out the
>> Google Groups new interface I'll see if I can restrict things a bit.
>
> Here's the settings that I use for my other Google Groups:
> * Click the gear logo on the right-side of the Google Group for the
> group you have admin/moderator privileges and want to add posting
> moderation to
> * Click the "Settings" menu item on the left sidebar to open it
> * Click the "New members" submenu within the "Settings" menu item
> * Uncheck the "New members can post" checkbox
> * Check the "New members' posts are moderated" checkbox
> * Recruit people to moderate incoming posts from new members
> * If a moderated post is okay and from a technical person, the
> moderator should click the little infinity button on the moderation
> interface to post this message and allow the sender to post in the
> future without having their posts moderated.
> * If a moderated post is legit but from someone like a recruiter, the
> moderator should click a different button that allows just that one
> post through while still requiring moderation of future posts, because
> folks like recruiters will often end up posting inappropriate material
> to the list in the future.
>
> I'd be glad to moderate mailing list messages.
>
> -igal

Matt Youell

Oct 5, 2012, 2:43:55 PM10/5/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, October 5, 2012 10:55:05 AM UTC-7, Igal Koshevoy wrote:
PS: I sent the message regarding message moderation to the entire list
in case other people are interested in adding moderation to their
Google Groups.

Thanks for this.

PPS: I find it fascinating that Google increased the complexity of
their Groups management UI by a magnitude, while simultaneously
removing tons of useful functionality from Groups that I and others
actually relied on. Sigh.

It's absolutely crazy. I can't imagine what they are thinking. It is just awful.

Matt Youell

Oct 5, 2012, 3:11:29 PM10/5/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
Btw, your instructions didn't work for me. There is still the gear icon, but only "User Settings" were visible. I switched back to the old Google Groups interface and then switched back to the new interface and then I got a "Manage" button right next to the gear. FYI.

Igal Koshevoy

Oct 5, 2012, 3:16:06 PM10/5/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
Click the "User Settings" menu, which should expand to show a number
of submenu items, including "New members", click that.

-igal