Zissou - Second Meeting!

Matt Youell

Oct 18, 2012, 5:42:27 PM10/18/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
Second meeting of the Zissou Society is Thursday, November 8th, 7pm!

We've got talks on Nickle, REBOL, and possibly one or two others. More to come on that. If you're interested in speaking, it's not too late. Drop me a line.

The location isn't pinned down yet, but I understand we've got a good shot at being hosted by Engine Yard again. I will update when we're firm.

Pizza and beer and the Zissou. Ok?

Matt

Matt Youell

Oct 29, 2012, 4:24:47 PM10/29/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
Engine Yard has graciously agreed to host us again on the 8th. http://calagator.org/events/1250462994

Matt Youell

Nov 6, 2012, 8:07:20 PM11/6/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
Just a reminder, we've got a great meeting on Thursday. Nickel and REBOL are the topics. http://calagator.org/events/1250462994

Engine Yard is graciously hosting us again, BUT... they can only do so much. Which means: We need a sponsor for pizza and beer.

If anyone has a generous employer who would like to step up and exchange pizza and/or beer for the special recognition and notoriety that comes with sponsoring a tech group, get in touch. :)

See you Thursday.

Matt

Richard Fobes

Nov 7, 2012, 1:34:51 PM11/7/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
I'll contribute $40 toward pizza as "advertising" for my Dashrep programming language.  I'll supply the check; someone else needs to bring the pizza.

The Dashrep language is in the public domain, the Dashrep engine is open-source code on GitHub, and the documentation is at Dashrep.org.  I'll be offering a presentation about it, and its new "web framework," at Open Source Bridge.

Matt Youell

Nov 7, 2012, 2:44:46 PM11/7/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic! Thank you Richard. That will put a healthy dent in cost.

---

Matt Youell

Nov 7, 2012, 7:56:35 PM11/7/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
Update: Engine Yard has generously offered to cover pizza and beer after all. Be sure to thank JD!

See you tomorrow.

Jesse Cooke

Nov 8, 2012, 12:45:28 PM11/8/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Echo Nolan <ec...@echonolan.net> wrote:
Hi all! Has Haskell been covered yet? I'm pretty deep into the language, been playing with it since 2005ish. I have knowledge to share and a public speaking course requirement to fulfill :).
I can do 4-6 minutes (and as much discussion after the "formal" bit as people are interested in) on Haskell. Tentative talk title: Finding a Domain for the World's Least Domain Specific Language - Haskell on Wall Street.
No, Haskell hasn't been covered at a Zissou meeting yet. We usually talk about it at the pdxfunc meetings.

Sound good?
I'd be up for hearing a little about it, especially with regards to Wall Street.

On Thursday, October 18, 2012 2:42:27 PM UTC-7, Matt Youell wrote:

Matt Youell

Nov 8, 2012, 1:23:10 PM11/8/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, November 8, 2012 9:25:47 AM UTC-8, Echo Nolan wrote:
I can do 4-6 minutes (and as much discussion after the "formal" bit as people are interested in) on Haskell. Tentative talk title: Finding a Domain for the World's Least Domain Specific Language - Haskell on Wall Street.

Yes! We'll have some unstructured time tonight so we can do this. I'll post a sign up sheet if anyone else wants to talk for a few minutes.

Just remember Rule #1: Don't be boring! :)

See you tonight.

Echo Nolan

Nov 8, 2012, 10:08:39 PM11/8/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com

I'm locked outside.

Matt Youell

Nov 9, 2012, 3:53:50 AM11/9/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 7:08 PM, Echo Nolan <ec...@echonolan.net> wrote:

I'm locked outside.

Oh no! Did you make it in eventually? I asked around for you early on.

I should have made a sign. There's a doorbell but it's hard to see without someone drawing attention to it.

Echo Nolan

Nov 9, 2012, 4:15:39 AM11/9/12
to pdxlang
I hit the doorbell like a dozen times. It must've not been working. Oh well. I'll probably make it next month. Sigh.

Matt Youell

Nov 9, 2012, 10:12:46 AM11/9/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 1:15 AM, Echo Nolan <ec...@echonolan.net> wrote:
I hit the doorbell like a dozen times. It must've not been working. Oh well. I'll probably make it next month. Sigh.

Echo -

Terrible! We had people arrive after the time on your email from the door, so I think the timing of things must have worked out just so.

I'm sorry that happened to you. My fault. Next time I'll post a note at the door with a phone number.

Matt

Echo Nolan

Nov 9, 2012, 10:24:58 AM11/9/12
to pdxlang
I was there for what seemed like a long time - my phone died after sending that email so I don't know how long - I knocked on this door http://goo.gl/maps/9Fef4 you can't see it on streetview but there was a decal on the door with the Engine Yard logo. Did they move offices or the meeting location change or something? There was a steep staircase leading into darkness, it kind of looked like nobody was home.

Matt Youell

Nov 9, 2012, 10:34:50 AM11/9/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
Here's where the door is, on Yamhill: http://is.gd/j2KkD2

Echo Nolan

Nov 9, 2012, 10:46:19 AM11/9/12
to pdxlang
Does Engine Yard's office have two doors then? I'm more confused than I started. Maybe I rang a doorbell that wasn't hooked up to anything? There was a little buttony thing with a red LED that turned on when you pressed it. Or I rang the doorbell and somebody went to the front door and - obviously - found no one there?

Matt Youell

Nov 9, 2012, 2:20:23 PM11/9/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
I'm still not very familiar with the offices, but it did look like they had a back staircase on the side you're talking about.

Last time I wrote up some detailed directions to the meeting. I'll dig those up and use them again to avoid this problem.

Igal Koshevoy

Nov 12, 2012, 2:57:16 PM11/12/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 7:46 AM, Echo Nolan <ec...@echonolan.net> wrote:
Does Engine Yard's office have two doors then? I'm more confused than I started. Maybe I rang a doorbell that wasn't hooked up to anything? There was a little buttony thing with a red LED that turned on when you pressed it. Or I rang the doorbell and somebody went to the front door and - obviously - found no one there?

I'm sorry that you couldn't get in. The address for the building maps to this front door, which is what I used. I hit the doorbell and was let in by JD almost immediately. If you ended up at this door, we need to tell our hosts about the problem with the doorbell. If you ended up at a different door, we should make sure there's a sign redirecting people to the right door. Either way, it's a good reminder that we should put phone numbers on any doors that may potentially get locked so people can call/text to be let in, because most people don't get to emails until after the meeting.

-igal