First Meeting

Matt Youell

Feb 17, 2012, 8:21:06 PM2/17/12
to Zissou Society for Programming Language Exploration
Hey!

We are set for the first meeting: March 7th, 7pm, Engine Yard offices
downtown PDX, 10th and Yamhill.

http://calagator.org/events/1250461973

We have three talks lined up:

* Bart Massey will show us Inform 7.
* Joe Groff is going to present on Factor.
* Markus Roberts will give a talk on ... something. We're still
working that out. If you've seen Markus present before, you know it's
probably more fun that way.

I'm working on getting us some food/drink. If you work for a generous
employer and can help with that please feel free to contact me off-
list.

See you there.

Matt

Matt Youell

Mar 1, 2012, 11:53:49 PM3/1/12
to Zissou Society for Programming Language Exploration
Just a reminder, our first meeting is this coming Wednesday.

http://calagator.org/events/1250461973

Matt Youell

Mar 6, 2012, 8:45:21 PM3/6/12
to Zissou Society for Programming Language Exploration
Hey y'all.

First meeting is tomorrow night.

The awesome folks at Engine Yard are hosting us. Word has it there
will be pizza and beer.

Engine Yard is located at 10th and Yamhill, on the northwest corner.
Walk along Yamhill toward the back of the building and you'll see the
entrance to the stairs.

The office is near MAX and the streetcar. There is street parking in
the area and a SmartPark across the street if you need it.

Questions? Email me.

Thanks!

Matt

Richard Fobes

Mar 7, 2012, 4:40:36 PM3/7/12
On Mar 1, 8:53 pm, Matt Youell <m...@newmoniclabs.com> wrote:
> Just a reminder, our first meeting is this coming Wednesday.

I wish I could make it tonight, but there are too many other things
going on at the moment.

Richard

Lyle Kopnicky

Mar 7, 2012, 6:25:44 PM3/7/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
I'm planning on attending. Sounds very interesting!

Matt Youell

Mar 7, 2012, 8:40:23 PM3/7/12
to Zissou Society for Programming Language Exploration
Cool!

By the way folks, it looks like we lost Joe to the flu (just for the
talk, not permanently), so there will be some time to fill between
Markus' and Bart's talks. Maybe this is an opportunity for some
lightning talks? Thoughts?

Charlie Loyd

Mar 7, 2012, 9:13:14 PM3/7/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com

I for one could definitely talk for 5 minutes about, say, Fortress, as long as no one asks any hard questions.

On Mar 7, 3:25 pm, Lyle Kopnicky <lylew...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm planning on attending. Sounds ve...

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Matt Youell <m...@newmoniclabs.com> wrote:
> > Hey!
>

> > We are ...

Matt Youell

Mar 7, 2012, 9:30:41 PM3/7/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
That's the spirit! :)

Keith Swallow

Mar 8, 2012, 12:38:00 PM3/8/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to Matt and all the speakers for making the firs meeting so interesting. I had a good time and look forward to the next meeting.

One thought I had was to use Inform7 as a tool to introduce children to programming. I will try it at home and see how my kids respond. It is not graphical like Alice or Scratch but is simpler in some ways.

Thanks Again,

Keith "can I put a jelly sandwich in your book?" Swallow

Jesse Cooke

Mar 8, 2012, 12:39:13 PM3/8/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
I was not joking when I asked permission to tweet that ;) http://j.mp/yB7TTb

Rob Norris

Mar 8, 2012, 12:45:40 PM3/8/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com

Sorry I missed the first meeting. I'm kind of obsessed with PLs so I'm really looking forward to the next one.

Inform7 looks fun, I had never heard of it. Racket has a bunch of teaching/learning modes with graphics and a nice little editor that lets you use images as values, and I have wondered if kids would be able to pick it up. It seems to be about on the same level as Logo, modulo syntax.

rob

Brian Rice

Mar 8, 2012, 12:52:16 PM3/8/12
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
Inform 7 has a potential to work graphically like Scratch but would take more effort and might depart from the simplicity of matching text-based adventure interaction.

I find it amusing, though, that it more or less resembles the never-implemented Smalltalk-71 grammar that Alan Kay and Dan Ingalls cooked up in that year to prove what a message-passing human-friendly language might look like.
--
-Brian T. Rice